Looks like indies for the iPad got shafted

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Eastbound, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Eastbound

Eastbound Well-Known Member

From what I have heard, at least for the games category, if you aren't on the New and Noteworthy section or What's Hot, which is essentially just filled with the bigger named titles, you are practically invisible.

2. bravetarget

bravetarget Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Care to explain? what about the categories tab?

I've been anxious to hear some indie ipad numbers......

3. BigBananApps

BigBananApps Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2010
    I'm soooo pissed. I have 4 games up for the iPad. But on the iPad app store when you go to games you can only see the featured games . You can not brows sections like rpg, action, puzzles and so on. So basically unless someone searched for you they will not find you..

4. Crazybreadman

Crazybreadman Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    App Developer
    Washington
    #4 Crazybreadman, Apr 3, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
    lame

It looks like everyone except the 20-25 companies being featured have been forgotten. It doesn't make us indy devs want to support the iPad if Apple's going to throw us on the backburner :mad:

5. Pamx

Pamx Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    UK
    I think it's too early to jump to conclusions like this. The iPad was only launched a few hours ago & Apple obviously want to push it on the App Store. Knowing how they love to change things without warning, I wouldn't be too surprised to see them introduce categories or even have a separate interface for iPad. I'm sure I would be worried too if I were an iPad developer but it's definitely too early to panic IMO :)

6. nattylux

nattylux Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    The iPhone App Store launched without any categories. Give it time.

7. Ravenhawk Interactive

Ravenhawk Interactive Active Member

Apr 2, 2010
    That's the thing, THERE IS NO CATEGORIES TAB!

For now, at least.

All we have is the What's New & Noteworthy, the What's Hot, and the ability to search for the names/tags of games.

8. bootant

bootant Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Junior Designer, Senior Coder, CTO, CEO, Chairman
    yep
    all you can see only preselected apps
    and you can't browse categories

9. Nijo

Nijo Well-Known Member

You can see the list of top apps (top 100 if you click through) and top games as they both have iPad tabs to click, but there's currently no such tab on the other categories.

Bombardiers Guild XL FREE appears as #60 in free games, but I have no idea how many downloads that equates to. Probably 5. :)

Edit: I'm talking about iTunes, not the iPad store itself.

10. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    The category tabs can't possibly be filled until actual download numbers come through can they? Of course, those tabs will immediately be filled with the ranks from the Featured titles, with the remnants of the lower ranks filled with whatever downloads happen to occur through search.

It kinda sucks that the Featured items get precedence, but did anyone honestly think that the iPad was going to be any different than the iPhone/iPod store?

11. BigBananApps

BigBananApps Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2010
    but you cant even view all!
    and show them by release date like all the iphone games.

I emailed steve jobs. :)

12. simplymuzik3

simplymuzik3 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Do the Top Apps in the iPhone App Store have a place on the iPad App Store? Or are the 2 completely separate?

13. HappyninGames

HappyninGames Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Developer
    Los Angeles
    I can see the flipside and why several developers are disappointed - while it is true (as Natty mentioned above) that the App Store first launched with no categories, it seems that the general feeling (assumption?) was that Apple would build upon the features that the App Store currently offers, including the existence of categories.

But perhaps I'm misunderstanding the situation - don't have an iPad, just browsing the App Store on iTunes. In that case, feel free to ignore me :)

Separate lists

14. robotsvswizards.com

robotsvswizards.com Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Game Development, Music
    CA, USA
    just so we are clear if you dont have an IPAD

It is not like itunes

Its like the Iphone app store app...

But only being able to hit the What's hot button. THats it
    There is no top 100. you cansee what is top 100 for ipad on itunes on your Mac or PC but nothing on the IPAD

now the problem is that most people are going to download and search from there ipad.

Even if you do go to itunes you only see the top OVERALL 100.

I do agree it is too early to tell but its a tough start for all of us that were so excited for today.

I had all three of my apps in the top 50 this morning (part luck, part not sleeping and promoting) but of course that is gone sinc eyou cant even see a top 100 to choose from on the actual IPAD

...i guess we'll see
    I can understand why they might do that but i would have rather slept once rather than working my arse off just so they could say we have 2500 IPAD only apps and then get hidden.

Its hard to get seen on the iphone but at least you have a fair shot.

NOw the other point

Suck for consumers too. aside from being a developer i am a long time gamer and so are alot of people i know who are all pissed they cant browse thorugh the 2500 apps for thier new ipad

so there is my 2 cents

sloppy? yes
    True? i think so

15. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    I stopped by the local Apple store today, and this was the first thing I noticed, too. Any ipad apps that aren't in Apple's "New and Noteworthy" section might as well not exist. No categories, and no way to browse through all new ipad releases from the iPad AppStore. If you click "show all" and sort by release date, it only shows the list of apps hand picked by Apple. There are a lot of games announced here on TA that looked interesting - I had to search by name to find them.

16. bootant

bootant Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Junior Designer, Senior Coder, CTO, CEO, Chairman
    yes guys!
    this sucks!

but iPad is such a cool device!
    it is so fast! wow! amazing!
    i'll be able to push more and more polygons than before

let's admit that life is not that miserable after all :D

17. gatti

gatti Active Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Yeah, I feel your pain. That's the very first thing I went to do for my newest game, Ace Omicron. Go through the "iPad" app store and see it in a "special" iPad game section. But nope, it's nowhere to be found unless someone searches for it. It so pissed me off. What happened to Apple stating that iPad games that make it in by the deadline would be in an iPad-exclusive area?

18. Eastbound

Eastbound Well-Known Member

Exactly, I don't know. I'm really hoping this will be changed soon. These sections they set up only feature games from companies that would have had an iPad and been developing on them for months. I guess they just wanted a smooth launch?

19. bomber

bomber Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    #19 bomber, Apr 4, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
    It's a little bit disappointing that some companies always get a head start and others are not even told what will happen.

20. jonmulcahy

jonmulcahy Well-Known Member

what also sucks is it seems (and i could be wrong) that there is no way to browse ONLY iPad games through iTunes, so the game I rushed to release for the iPad is just lost in all the iPhone games.