Where to start?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by LateralusRok, Sep 19, 2011.

1. LateralusRok

LateralusRok Active Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Sales network solutions.
    Kc
    #1 LateralusRok, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
    First off sorry if I am repeating a post but I read about the first 15 pages for something like this and didnt see anything quite matching. As for searching I am not really sure what to search for that would include what I am asking so here it is:

I am just starting off in iOS development I just finished up the book Objective C 2.0 3rd ed. I feel like I have the tools to get something out there as simple as it might be. To be honest I wont start with a game as my first project but games are what I want to do eventually. So my question is where to start business wise.

I understand I need to make a website but everything after that is a little fuzzy. I would like to publish my apps under a business name I would like to start my own business. Is there something I need to do for that or can I just say this is my business here you go apple.

Thanks for taking the time to read and even if you can just point me in the right direction that would be great!

Edit: I currently have an individual developer account with apple.

2. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    You are already paying for a developer account for iOS?
    Those 99$?
    In that case, its only good for a year, so submit something soon.

I think Apple has already answered your question with manuals & everything from the start-up kit?

3. DemonJim

DemonJim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    You can create an LLC / Ltd company really easily online, but you need to read up on what obligations being that company's only director includes and whether it's right for you (filing of accounts, annual returns, paying corporation tax etc.)

Even with an individual iOS dev account you can still set the iTunes developer display name to something other than your actual name, 'Acme Games' or whatever, but you might have to prove to Apple you have a right to use that name (owning the domain or something will be enough).

The main difference is who is liable in the event of a legal dispute due to your apps. If you have an individual account it is you who is personally and financially responsible for the apps you sell. It shows this because it will always still show your real name under Seller (as the legal entity).

If you go the company option, it all looks more official and your name won't show up as the seller (it will be the company name) because the company itself is the legal entity. By definition the company (with limited liability) in the event of a legal matter means your personal finances are not at risk (eg if you get sued for copyright infringement, which unfortunately seems far too common in this business). Only the money put into the business (which can be negligible in many cases) will ever be at risk.

4. LateralusRok

Aug 26, 2009
    Sales network solutions.
    Kc
    Thanks for all the info I am well on my way to getting this done but I did have a few questions on how to approach a few things.

1. I notice it is suggested to have insurance for the llc I see online it varies by type of business can anyone give me a rough quote on how much that might run for something like this?

2. So I have a name in mind I know is not taken (xxxxxxxx studios) but the name xxxxxx alone without studios is not taken either. I don't exactly expect my business to take off but what should I do to protect the name without the studios suffix? It seems like a waste to file for both would just grabing the domain be enough? Sorry if this doesn't make a lot of sense but here's an example:

I own and make games under the name xyz studios but then someone comes along and takes the name xyz. Is there anything I can do to stop that?

Thanks for your time.

5. DemonJim

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    The best way to protect your trademarks (which could effectively be both "xyz" and "xyz studios") is to release a game under those trademarks, and have it become widely regarded by gamers that "xyz" is associated with your company (which could be "xyz Studios LLC" or whatever the full company name is).

So even if somebody else owns a really similar company name, "xyz Systems Ltd" and registered their company before yours, they couldn't really claim rights to use "xyz" as a trademark in the video games industry because you're already using it.

So by the same rationale just because you owned both domains and had the LLC, if you haven't actually traded under the mark "xyz" (ie. released something), then there's nothing really stopping somebody starting up "xyz Developments" and releasing a game beating you to the rights to use "xyz".

I'm no legal expert, and to be fair it's not even black and white to legal experts - look into the whole dispute over the 'Edge' trademark and you'll see how messy it can get.

Ideally pick something obscure for "xyz" so it is very unlikely that somebody would coincidentally use that same word.

6. swiftest

swiftest Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    It costs very little to own both xyz.com and xyzstudio.com (and maybe even xyzstudios.com), so I would recommend just registering both. You can redirect to the main domain you want to use. Just one legal headache you can file away, and it can help people who type in your studio name rather than relying on a search engine.

To fight against domain name squatters or reverse-domain hijackers via the UDRP process can cost thousands, and it's not always a guaranteed win if they can establish a bonafide use. Remember that trademarks apply to specific classes, so an "xyz studio" for photography is different than "xyz studio" for games.

Personally, I think going the Objective-C route is great if you have a lot of time on your hands and like tinkering with the guts of engines and squeezing out that last bit of graphical performance, but I prefer a solution that is easily portable like using primarily C++ and only Objective-C where necessary (as wrappers) or immediately cross-platform, like Unity 3D or perhaps Unreal.

7. LateralusRok

Aug 26, 2009
    Sales network solutions.
    Kc
    Thanks again for all the info I really appreciate your guys input. Just so I am straight on this you suggest the following?

Llc for xyz
    Llc for xyz studios
    Domain for xyz
    Domain for xyz studios

Route xyz web traffic to xyz studios (can b done without paying for hosting on both right)

Release games/apps under both names at some time (how will this work with apple I will have to prove I own both and release 1 then change it at sometime and release another under the other name?)

Thanks again and sorry if I am somewhat slow this is all new to me along with most of the coding and design.

As for the objective c I am just starting to get a good handle on it and Xcode I don't plan on making anything too crazy to start with will I be fine without knowing c+? I figured that was just for cross Platform stuff

8. DemonJim

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    As swiftest said, you might as well register both domain names as it's so cheap to do so, and just point one to the other (the one you prefer). I do this so the .co.uk points to the .com for my company domain.

Oh dear no you definitely DON'T want to register both LLCs though! My point was even if you only register xyz Studios LLC you can still claim the xyz as a trademark on its own in the videogames industry. By releasing games under the company name xyz Studios LLC gamers will begin to associate 'xyz' with your company as you get more well known.

That's all jumping the gun - you should be worrying about making a killer hit game rather than exactly how you want to be known when you get famous :) You could consider just releasing under an individual ADC account as mentioned earlier (still under the App Store name of "xyz Studios") and convert it to a company ADC account if you hit the big time. Then you don't have all the obligations associated with being a company director to deal with.

Yes you can just use Obj-C for now if you only want to do a quick simple iOS game (although that side of things is probably best discussed in another thread).