Pull My Tongue [WiP, one-man-project]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Zilk, Jul 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zilk

Zilk Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 27, 2015
    #1 Zilk, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    One year ago I started working on a little idea I had and at the same time learn how to code in C#. So I have made everything in this game myself but am gonna have someone else do sounds and music. Before this I worked at Visual Dreams as the sole artist on games such as Herman the Hermit, Linkies Puzzle Rush and Slam Dunk Basketball. So I was used to Unity but not coding.

Anyway to the game, it is a simple puzzle game for mobile devices that is heavily inspired by games such as Cut the Rope, Pudding Monsters etc. The goal is to drag the chameleons (Greg) tongue through all the stars to the popcorn. I'm just gonna post some screens and gifs so you guys get the idea.

Main Menu
    [​IMG]

World Select
    [​IMG]

Ingame Screenshot
    [​IMG]

Ingame Screenshot 2
    [​IMG]

Endscreen
    [​IMG]

Greg Interaction
    [​IMG]

Gregs animation rig
    [​IMG]

The game is about 70%ish done, I yet have to add some animations, more levels and the final sound and music.

I'm gonna post development in this thread so it might get a bit technical some times but I'm sure you guys can handle it :)

Thanks for reading!
    //David

2. joshsslade

joshsslade Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2010
    London
    really nice animation dude, good luck!

3. Zilk

Zilk Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 27, 2015
    joshsslade: Thanks!

I finished up the logo animation for the main menu and figured I would record a little preview of the game, so here are a video of the logo, menus and the three first levels :)

Hope you like it! :)

4. MBowman

MBowman Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Very impressive looking for a one man project!

5. Zilk

Zilk Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 27, 2015
    I finished up some character interactions today. Now you can scratch his back, poke both eyes and pull on his tail. Just for shits and giggles :)

[​IMG]

6. hunterextremb

hunterextremb Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Nice animation

Which tool do you use to create that super smooth animation? Great game!!!

7. Zilk

Zilk Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 27, 2015
    hunterextremb: Thanks! The character is painted in Photoshop and animated in Autodesk Maya.

8. mahoganygoo

mahoganygoo Member

Jul 3, 2015
    This looks great! The tongue physics are really smooth and the character interaction in the menu is the kind of unnecessary greatness that I love.

Keep up the good work!

9. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    #9 copaeci, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    what software do you use for making greg's animation?
    thanks

edit: doesn't read the previous post... Anyway is Greg a 2D character or 3D?

10. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Really like this, could be a surprise hit!

11. Zilk

Zilk Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 27, 2015
    Since a lot of you seem interested in how Greg is built and animated I'm gonna get a little technical and explain it with some images :)

The character is actually based of a rough sketch my wife made on paper. From that I took it into Photoshop and redrew it, rendered it to give it depth and split it into parts so it could be animated later on.
    [​IMG]

I then took that into Autodesk Maya, built it up in planes that were sorted in the correct order. So technically it is a 3D character that can only be viewed correctly from the front.
    [​IMG]

Here is the wireframe for the planes, a lot of polys to avoid sharp edges when it animates.
    [​IMG]

Here you can see the skeleton setup, a lot of bones to be able to control the mouth, eyes, tail etc.
    [​IMG]

Texture sheet showing the different parts separation.
    [​IMG]

There is also quite a bit of trickery with the rig to get everything simple to animate but I think you can get the idea of how Greg works. Hope this didn't spoil the magic :p

12. Zilk

Zilk Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 27, 2015
    Continued working on some animations that have been missing. Still have some effects and tweaks left but here is a work-in-progress of when Greg gets a little to close to the zappers :)

Please forgive the heavy gif banding..

[​IMG]

13. Zilk

Zilk Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 27, 2015
    #13 Zilk, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    The finished Zapped animation with effects. I think it ended up quite nice

[​IMG]

Watch the youtube version for better quality

14. Maximus Prime

Maximus Prime Member

Aug 2, 2015
    If you want a beta tester count me in, looks great!

15. Zilk

Zilk Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 27, 2015
    Maximus Prime: I have some things on the to-do list but after that I will have some kind of limited beta test that you can be part of :) I'll make a post here when it is time

16. L-55

L-55 Active Member

Jul 11, 2015
    Dancing...
    Into RobTop's computer
    Can i be Beta tester too, im also a good designer that looks on details, i will tell you all cons and pros about game :D

17. Zilk

Zilk Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 27, 2015
    I'm currently finishing up some character animations and then I will start adding more levels. After that I'll make some kind of beta test that you can sign up for :)

Send me a message and I'll make sure to add you guys when I'm ready for a beta test.

18. Zilk

Zilk Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 27, 2015
    I have for a long time felt that the tongue was too stiff before the player starts pulling the tongue. I never figured out how to fix it though, but tonight I got a flash and fixed it in 10 minutes :D

[​IMG]

To the small victories!

19. DeadlySeriousMedia

DeadlySeriousMedia Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Arizona
    This game looks absolutely stunning! Subscribed.

20. Zilk

Zilk Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 27, 2015
    Working on levels creation right now so not much to post updates about. I however made a little gif showing the creation of Greg from sketch to animated ingame, just for fun :)

[​IMG]