Playstation Vita Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Haruhi, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I suspect supermarkets might be a good place to buy the Vita in the UK if you think back to the 3DS launch GAME were caught actually sending their staff undercover to purchase units to sell.

I think Sainsburys and Tescos will probably sell them under retail prices or with bonuses just to bring customers in

Right now I'd say Amazon is looking the best as well though

2. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    Is the bundle deal on amazon only for the UK? I'm the US and I'm not seeing a bundle deal on the vita product page. Such a good deal too want to give amazon my money :)

3. matthewwhatever

matthewwhatever Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2010
    government
    Ottawa, Canada
    Isn't that basically the First Edition bundle? I'm looking at Amazon right now, and they have it: the 3G Vita, a 4GB card, Little Deviants and a case for $349. (And there may be more - Sony just announced a different 3G bundle with something like 250MB of free 3G and a download from the PSN, and they said that anyone getting the First Edition would be automatically upgraded. No sign of that on Amazon, though.)

4. Rasterico

Rasterico Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    United Kingdom
    This is the deal I got even though I pre-ordered way in advance of it, Amazon emailed me 2 promotional codes, one to claim the free 8 gig memory card, the other for the £15 game. Glad to see I got the best deal out there by luck!

5. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

I have heard it IS available on amazon.com but dont know how its listed-basically the UK deal was on the Vita unit page and under it where it says buy with other stuff for this price blah blah it had a rectangle saying Hot Pre order free mem card and 15quid game click here for bundle

And yeah emails went to ppl who pre ordered way in advance before 31 Jan with promo codes :)

So by far this is best deal out there by a mile :)

6. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    #206 dumaz1000, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
    Army Corps of Hell got a 2/10 from Game Informer. It's basically a PSP game masquerading as a Vita game, and a bad one at that.

Unit 13 is a game developed in the same vain as the Club. Standalone missions with a scoreboard element and little to no story. I wish they hadn't done that. I could only stomach a few minutes of Resident Evil Mercinaries 3D. It made me want to puke. I just have no interest in this high scores/Leader boards/old school arcade format. Absolutely none. I couldn't care less where I rank on any leader board on the face of the planet. Plus, it's only Co-op. I'd be all over it if it was PvP. This is from the makers of Socom. PvP online was easily the most important aspect of those Fireteam Bravo games. I doubt anyone would have any of those games without it.

F1 2011 really does seem like a port of the 3DS version, although nobody has said as much. The graphics will obviously be improved though.

Dungeon Hunter Alliance and Ridge Racer are atrocities.

Asphalt Injection is a 40.00 port of a 0.99c iOS game.

Gravity Rush has no release date.

Underneath the surface, this launch lineup is relatively underwhelming, but I've been through this song and dance before. Don't expect too much for the software associated with the launch of most gaming platforms.

7. Rasterico

Jan 21, 2009
    United Kingdom
    All launch line ups are always full of disappointments, as long as there's one or 2 good titles that's all that matters to me, I'm definitely looking forward to Uncharted, will also download a couple from PSN such as Superstardust and maybe Everybody's Golf, let's face it, the 3DS launch was underwhelming to say the least but the good games are slowly appearing now, this is how I feel the Vita will fare, great games will turn up eventually but it will take time.

8. SirAwesome

May 20, 2010
    I agree with you but dont forget escape plan, that looks like an good game. An I know it a port but Rayman Origins is a great game and should really shine on the vita's screen

9. Rasterico

Jan 21, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Oh yes! I nearly overlooked that in all the excitement! I didn't really like the look of Rayman to be honest, if it gets good reviews I may change my stance on that, Escape Plan looks good though.

10. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    Unit 13 is a great game and much more Socom than the Club. The story is generic yes, and it is told while the stage is loading. But the mechanics are very sound and the game is one of the strongest launch titles in my opinion. I am having a lot of fun with this one.

11. SirAwesome

May 20, 2010
    You can read the reviews of the PS3 version of the game as its identical to it in terms of content. The only difference in the two versions is that the vita version has leader boards of some sort and no coop.

12. Rasterico

Jan 21, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I opted for Virtua Tennis for my game for £15 with Amazon, I've always liked the series and it looked great in the videos I saw (not the ones that showed the tacked on touch screen control though), I'm hoping I didn't make a mistake now.

Having said that I may even download Rayman if it's a reasonable price as I have 2 memory cards coming thanks to Amazons offer!

13. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Rayman is great at being what it is, but no better. In other words, remember that amazing 2D platformer you played once? It's that. Very polished, gets everything right... doesn't really do anything you haven't already seen.

14. dumaz1000

Jun 5, 2010
    Rayman is not yet available for the 3DS, so at the vey least it's the first opportunity to buy a portable/handheld version of that game.

It looks like IGN has decided to review almost all launch titles. IGN doesn't review more then maybe half of the 3DS releases, which has led me to buy a handful of 3DS games that nobody ever reviewed, like NASCAR Unleashed, which is horrible.

15. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I think I finally decided on Virtua Tennis, Touch My Katamari, and Wipeout as my first three Vita titles...

Three very different titles I think.

16. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

Rayman will be brilliant, no ones mentioned Fifa much-that to me is a must buy its more or less a straight port of Fifa 12 with Vita controls :) apart from 11 player multiplayer
    Escape plan is a must too but unsure what the PSN store price will be
    So excited, 2weeks to go

17. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

#217 MicroByte, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
    Ugh, the wait is getting to me now! I'm so excited about this system, it has so much of what I've been wanting in a handheld!

I've been good about restraining myself and only picked up 2 games so far - Uncharted and WipeOut 2048. I also picked up this case and it seems really good:

(borrowing someone elses pics):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/jondaviskorn/20120209_144816.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/jondaviskorn/20120209_150130.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/jondaviskorn/20120209_145823.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/jondaviskorn/20120209_150204.jpg

I'm also tempted to get the Sony Screen protectors, but not sure at this point.

Anyone else getting hyped?

18. dumaz1000

Jun 5, 2010
    But if you're not interested in high scores, then what is the point of playing it? Like an arcade game. Space Invaders, or something like that. Competing for the highest score against other players is the only real reason to play those types of games. I'm saying I don't give a damn about my points in any game utilizes a scoring system. That's not motivation enough for me to even bother. Some feel differently, but you are really pigeonholing yourself as a developer when you choose this type of a format. You are limiting yourself because your game will only appeal to a very narrow, niche audience.

That would be my question. Mechanics aside, what's my motivation to play this game? What's the point? Character Leveling, equipment unlocks, high scores? By themselves, I don't care about these things. They should be ancillary to some broader goal.

19. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Pretty much. I'm hardly interested in my iPod for gaming anymore. :(

I need this thing.

20. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    I read that the backwards compatible PSP games will have boosted graphics and most will have dual analog supposrt! that's pretty awesome.

I'm also debating wether or not to buy patapon 3 again with a psn card or just wait for patapon 4... Damn I love that game!