why doesn't the iPhone or Touch simply have virtual buttons only?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Aspargusman, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Aspargusman

Aspargusman Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    ive come to think about this recently- if all the volume controls and home button were simply virtual, it would make for a much smoother and sleeker device and silhouette, IMO. What do you guys think? Is there a particular reason these controls are not virtual????

2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Erm well you need to use the home button to wake up your iPod (or at least I do), but if it were virtual then you'd need to have your iPod's screen on in the first place to use it. Also, if you are in the middle of a game and needed to exit, how would that be possible?

The volume can be controlled virtually but it is much more convenient to have volume control capabilities using real buttons because you are able to adjust the volume while your iPod screen is off. It would be a pain to be forced to have your iPod's screen on at all times just to adjust volume.

3. 5jusername

5jusername Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    School...
    Somewhere In The Universe
    a virtual volume button?! i think a real volume button is needed. and home screen...then accidentally brushing the "button" will exit the app. plus i think it would also be more expensive to make.

4. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    what if your device crashes completely. how would you reset it. shaking?

5. Themagictouch

Themagictouch Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    yes:cool:

6. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    *taps virtual volume button, sound shoots way up. apparently, finger was apparently a millimeter too high*

7. Bdragonst

Bdragonst Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Student
    Japan -> S.Korea -> USA
    Thats pretty bad idea..

8. Ddyracer123

Ddyracer123 Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Steve isn't that much of a button hater...:rolleyes:

9. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Life would be hell if I didn't have those buttons, I'm all for touch but damn, you're taking it too far lol.

10. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Win.

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Y'know I almost thou-*message too long, text automatically truncated*

12. super6ft7

super6ft7 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    This guys got a good idea, but take it even further, make it something the size of a marble with some flash memory, an accelerometer, mic and headphone space.
    You use your voice and the accelerometer to control it. So you tilt to scroll across the page and then you get stephen fry to record thousands of things to tell you what is going on on the screen, also it could be set to "pixel mode" that explains what each pixel is so you can form a perfect image in your head. No need to ever look again, just tilt and listen.