iDevice vs PSP/DS Games: Now and the Future

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by SpaceJunk, Aug 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpaceJunk

SpaceJunk Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    #1 SpaceJunk, Aug 27, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
    At this point, do you feel iDevice games have surpassed the typical handheld consoles in terms of gameplay, intuitiveness, addictiveness, community and replayability?

Admittedly, the iDevice may have an unfair advantage when it comes to favoritism and bias to the handheld gamer, since it is more portable and more likely to be carried with you into the outer world (especially the kind that can make calls).

Even though, I have found myself more drawn to the more addictve, intuitive and instant experience that the iDevice offers. The brighter and higher resolution screen may also factor into my preference.

Granted the iPhone in its current form factor can never surpass a button-based handheld when it comes to controlling certain types of games, but it offers its own advantages. Because an input can be detected at any portion of the screen, this makes emulation of ports and the control interface in general highly customizable.

And what about 1-3 years in the future? How much further will iDevice gaming have evolved? Do you think developers will become more ambitious in presenting a richer experience when it comes to iPhone games or is the current model of the app store too inherently flawed to encourage this to happen?

In the end, this is why I own all 3 handhelds. But the iPhone has very quickly become my favorite.

Please offer your input.

2. Justinth

Justinth Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Yes, DS... I got bored of it fast... PSP... bored of it.. but iPhone.. just keeps going :)

3. Ddyracer123

Ddyracer123 Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    I think the idevice has a good future... However not all games are that great ( FPS, 3rd person etc.)

4. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    As far as playing FPS's and adventure game I'll use my PS3 or Xbox or PC. But as far as creative fun pickup and play type games and puzzle games the iphone beats them all.

5. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    I haven't played my ds in almost a year, but with the release of Scribblenauts, I think I will get back into the ds market. Still, the iDevice is really great.

6. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

the fact is the DS and PSP dont get good games nearly as quickly and they dont update! the idevice has both, that is why it gets my attendion for longer than the other portable game systems

7. SpaceJunk

Aug 14, 2009
    good points guys.

8. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Gameplay, yes. iPhone games may not have as much content as PSP games or a few DS games (yet), but the controls is what I love about this little device. As I say time and time again, the tilting and touching makes me feel like I'm playing with the game and not just playing it.

I definitely agree. Apple has waiting a little too long to jump on the handheld gaming train. The system has been making great improvements since the first year, but it still has ways to go before making a big splash. Apple needs to advertise it more as a gaming device.

Same here, same here.

I think that's a all a matter of perspective. I've played games of many different genres on this device and I really don't have problems with any of the control systems. Although, for those who do have problems, Apple is planning to help by making the gamer grip and a iController type thing you can plug the iPhone into. They're working on it since they realize the window.

Well, to answer that, I will simply ask: How long have you been using your iDevice for gaming? If you've been into it since a little while after the Appstore was released, then think about the games you were looking forward to getting last year. Now, think about the games you are looking forward to play today. Better much? Evolution in progress. With big companies considering the iPhone's/iPod Touch's power, console like game devs like Gameloft and EA games having a total showdown for the Appstore, creative companies like Hand Circus and Mountain Sheep producing new ideas, Illusionlabs' creativity and originality towards iGaming, Gamevil/Chillingo's various and high quality production line, and the high quality visuals of the upcoming Dexter game, you basically see that every area the iPod Touch needs in the ways of gaming is being fulfilled and is improving quite rapidly.

I only have an iPod Touch 2G. I was considering getting a PSP, but since there are few games on PSP I'd actually want, and the physical buttons make things quite boring, and the hardware doesn't really seem to improve at all with each model, I'm going to just stick with this one. :)

9. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    I think the only reason why the iDevices are still up is because of the App Store and it's price... I mean.. Imagine games that costs $30+, and now PSPgo is coming out and PSP Mini's. So now PSP's are catching up to the iDevices, but then again the iDevices have a phone.

10. SpaceJunk

Aug 14, 2009
    One thing is for sure...Castle of Magic will play better on the Go. :D

11. SpaceJunk

Aug 14, 2009
    I got my iDevice last May. So that would make it 3 1/2 months. But I'm quite aware how much improved the games have become just in the last year and this gives me a lot of hope for this device. :)

12. coolestk!d

coolestk!d Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2009
    School...
    Around
    No I don't, iPhone games are cheap, yes. But iPod doesn't have games like Final Fantasy, Mario, God of War,other RPGs, etc. just A+ games... But Rolando 2, Hybrid, Alive-4-Ever( it just came out but the multiplayer and RPG elements just boosts its position so high) are the ones I feel like could be on PSP and DS and not be criticized. That said I love my Touch, best MP3 player ever and I do buy simple 99 cent games too, they just don't last for me and get me excited like everyone else. But the iPOd is improving so we will see. Xbox 360 is still my favorite overall with DS in second.

13. SpaceJunk

Aug 14, 2009
    Yes I agree. The best games on the PSP/DS are better than the best games on the iPhone. Chains of Olympus sh1ts on Hero of Sparta.

14. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    #14 Omega-F, Aug 27, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
    To me, all the 3 "handhelds" are very different from each other. With PSP you get half-assed almost PS2 quality games. The DS on the other hand, there's dozens upon dozens of really amazing games coming every time. For example, I just finished Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor and yesterday I started Professor Layton 2, and in just a few months heavy hitters like Mario and Luigi, Scribblenauts and Kingdom Hearts are coming.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't think we will ever see a game with the quality of, say a The World Ends With You (DS) on the iDevices. Don't get me wrong, I got my Touch 2 weeks ago and I'm loving it. I adore Spider and really dig the tower defense games. But this games are great because they are perfect for playing for a couple minutes and then stop. The pricing of this games doesn't hurt either. With the DS, you get 40 hours + epics (like the games aforementioned) that have great production values, a LOT of replay (something that the Iphone games lack), great stories, memorable soundtracks, etc.

I think the iDevices destroy the competition when it comes to downloading stuff. I mean, 90% of the games on the APP store are definitely crap, but the rest are great experimental, innovative little stuff that truly shine on this platform.

15. coolestk!d

coolestk!d Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2009
    School...
    Around
    This post is EXACTLY what I'm talking about, DS has so many epic RPGs, I swear I beat Devil Survivor and The World ends with you 3 times each. But iPod definitely has potential. People are saying Scribblenauts going to be GOTY for god's sake.

16. nathancho

nathancho Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    College student
    Denver
    ive had 5 psp's and ive sold them all because i get bored of them quick! and only 2 ds but my itouch 22g ive had for almost a year now and i use it everyday to play games!

17. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Another thing I don't like about the DS and PSP is that you have to wait (forever) for a title to come out and find out if it sucks or if it's good. At least on the iphone, where hundreds of apps are released each day, you can buy and make judgements on games quicker while waiting for others. More games = more variety = more choices + less waiting for a satisfying game.

18. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I like my DS, but the great games are few and far between. iDevice wins at the moment because the devs seem to want to make cool games... and DS devs want to make crappy kiddy games. I think the DS has what it takes for some awesome gaming, it's just not happening enough and it can't possibly compete with the speed at which the App Store throws 'em out.

19. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    I don't agree, as I think we definitely will have high quality, 40 hour games one day. I think it's not fair at all to judge now that iPhone games will never be as big or have as much content. Why? Here's why:

The PSP and the DS have been out for about five years. Games were actually made for the two devices a year or so before the release of the handheld, because companies were aware of the fact that it was made for games.

The iPod Touch on the other hand, did not at all have any companies making games for it before it was released. In fact, the appstore is only a year old and it totally took people by surprise with its gaming. In other words, we've only had a year of game development time.

You people never seem to understand. Making good, high quality, long lasting games, TAKE TIME! Games aren't just made by the game fairy or a giant group of people doing a rain dance, yelling, "GIVE US AWESOME GAMES TO PRODUCE FOR THIS PLATFORM AND DO IT NAO!!!!" Once we actually give the iPhone time as a game device, it will definitely grow to this extent.

I find it disturbing seeing such ignorant statements like, "The PSP has grown a lot since it's been only a short time of four years and we expect it to keep growing as a device." along with statements like "The iPhone has been a gaming device for one whole year and still hasn't made high quality games to meet expectations of other handhelds, and it probably never will grow bigger than it is."

20. Midnight Status

Midnight Status Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    There's never been a comparison for me. I haven't played a DS or PSP game since 2006. I play iPhone/iPod games everyday since the App Store came around. The fact that I can easily develop and distribute my own games is icing on the cake. I hardly pay attention to other gaming platforms now.