Minotron: 2112

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by studepaber007, Feb 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. studepaber007

studepaber007 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Ohio
    #1 studepaber007, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
    Anyone else looking forward to Minter's next iOS game? Anyone ever play Llamatron on the Atari/Amiga? This one is an instantbuy for me as I am a huge fan of Minotaur Rescue and admire his other work. I'm anxious to see what other games he brings to iOS in the minotaur series, Tempest 2000, maybe a Gridrunner game?

Can't wait until this is released in a few weeks (hopefully!).

2. GasparZizou

GasparZizou Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2010
    MKT student, intern in an advertising agency.
    Guadalajara
    i never played one of the classics however i played Minotaur Rescue, and i love it, simply a master piece, and i'm looking forward for this

3. MilkManX

MilkManX Well-Known Member

I love Jeff Minter's games. I also really like his design sense. I absolutely loved Minotaur Rescue. I was lamenting that I had no copy of Robotron and bam that morning I saw the article of Minotron 2112. Even better.

I really hope he remakes Gridrunner and Tempest/Space Giraffe for iOS also.

:D

4. MilkManX

Sounds like he is just about done. Testers are playing it and he is submitting it to the app store very soon!

Sweet!

5. studepaber007

Jan 26, 2011
    Ohio
  6. nyarla

nyarla Well-Known Member

I got to be a tester again, yay!

I never played the original Llamatron on the ST, but I played the DOS port (got off a PC magazine coverdisk) for years. One of my favourite games of all time. Minotron does it justice and more :D

The inclusion of 4 different difficulty settings is great.. in simplified mode you can just play it one handed and it auto aims for you. Hard mode limits you to only the powerups from the original Llamtron. Assisted mode, like in Llamatron, gives you a companion helper droid (which you can unlock different sprites for).

It's also got a great "resume best" system where you can start a new game from any level you've previously reached, with lives and score intact.. Such a good idea, lets you sort of "level up" your saved game.. you need it too... there's some really crazy enemies in there @_@ (lots of new enemies and powerups, for people who played Llamatron)

Love it.

7. MilkManX

Nice! So is it submitted yet? I can't wait to play this.

8. nyarla

nyarla Well-Known Member

Not yet but very soon I'd say.. just received what is likely the final version :)

Oh yeah, I forgot to say before.. one of the things I always loved about Llamatron was the sound. Awesomely zappy arcade sounds, lots of mooing and baaing and oohing. Well Minotron outdoes it by miles..the sound fx rock! It's so good on the iPad with the volume turned up loud, vibrating your hands. <3

9. studepaber007

Jan 26, 2011
    Ohio
    Awesome info nyarla! What are the new powerups like?

10. nyarla

nyarla Well-Known Member

Well, my favourite one that I've seen so far makes your minotaur grow to giant size, become invulnerable, and lets you stomp around crushing all the enemies for awhile with the whole screen shaking crazily.. :)

11. TheTinMan

TheTinMan Well-Known Member

I'm really looking forward to this hot off the back of Solar Minotaur Rescue and reading Jeff's work-in-progress autobiography. Also I have much respect for Mr. nyarla here too, so if he says it's good.... I'll be buying. :)

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Despite being a ZX Spectrum owner back in the 80's, Jeff Minter did produce many great shoot em ups on the C64

This looks a classic so will be buying asap

13. studepaber007

Jan 26, 2011
    Ohio
    According to Minter's Twitter, Minotron is awaiting Openfeint approval and after that it's getting shipped to Apple, woot!

14. MilkManX

YES!!

I can't wait. I am still playing Minotaur Rescue just about daily.

15. Alistair Aitcheson

Alistair Aitcheson Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Game Developer
    Wiltshire, UK
    I'm also a big Minotaur Rescue fan and looking forward to this a lot!

16. studepaber007

Jan 26, 2011
    Ohio
    Seems like it's been sent to Apple awaiting approval now. Minter also gave mention that there are 10 unlockable AI helpers in assisted mode (one of them being a my little pony lol). Only a matter of days now :D

17. nyarla

nyarla Well-Known Member

18. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    It's a good thing I won't see Minotron until its official release, because otherwise I'd be the best from day one. It's good to give the testers a little running start. They've sure had a heck of a time.

19. studepaber007

Jan 26, 2011
    Ohio
  20. MilkManX

I love his design sense. Not that many people appreciate what he is doing but I do.

Looks like this is gonna be really fun!