Releasing Apps around Easter, June or July

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by WickedAwesome, Apr 11, 2011.

1. WickedAwesome

WickedAwesome Active Member

May 8, 2010
    Concept Wizard
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hey guys, just wondering if anyone could share their thoughts about releasing an App around...

A:) Easter - I would have thought for an indie this may not be the best time with all the price dropping...

B:) June - Do you think that the WWDC would see indies pushed out of the charts again similar to the Easter thing.

C:) July - In particular the 4th, big sale time?

Appreciated!

M@

2. Razoric

Razoric Well-Known Member

IMO (and I don't have much experience with this yet) I would think it's best for indie devs to release on 'off' times where big publishers aren't eager to drop their big budget apps to .99 or release new titles.

3. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Definatly! If you want your app to be burried under big sales events from the big boys release next to any international/us/uk holiday. So stay away from them for a new release.

4. Astraware

Astraware Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Games Studio
    UK
    I'd add that whilst it shouldn't affect customers, getting website coverage in the same week as WWDC/E3 will be harder. Journalists away, reporting news from those events etc. Better to keep the weeks either side clear.

5. WickedAwesome

WickedAwesome Active Member

May 8, 2010
    Concept Wizard
    Melbourne, Australia
    I guess when so much these days is hanging on a good marketing campaign and solid coverage, this is another good point.

Anybody have any conflicting ideas??

6. blitter

blitter Well-Known Member

I know this is TA and it's virtually all in reference to the gaming side of apps, but I think only game releases are effected by the big guns. Of course Garage Band is an exception...any developer who is about to release a music app would certainly need a cool feature here and there - originality is what I think all devs should aim for, especially indi. I personally went down the Entertainment route for my first release. The last 2 or 3 weeks has seemed like being 1 step away from a 1.0 but I keep polishing, aiming to eliminate every possible unwanted side effect...though I know that when that moment arrives that it is IMO ready, then I shall release *without hesitation* regardless of what day it is!

Ultimately (after an update or 2 to the above mentioned app), I intend to concentrate on another highly original app, but next time it shall be of the gameplay variety...TA community feels like home somehow :). And again a release date won't be of a concern. Come to think of it, if my app was a game then I might even wait for the holidays as that's when the customer tends to spend.

7. TinyTechnician

TinyTechnician Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Developer
    Los Angeles
    I agree with most others on this one (even though, as Razoric puts it, I don't have much experience in this area).

I think "off" times just seem like better odds for an indie dev. To compete with price drops by big studios (usually during holidays) or press coverage of big announcements/events (like WWDC/E3/CES etc) in my opinion just seems like an up-hill battle.

I'm not releasing another App any time soon (already got my major release out) but I was thinking of doing this next time I plan to release. Basically get a calendar and X out the major holidays, events, and "announced" big publisher/studio releases. This way I'll have a good looking calendar of when NOT to release and hopefully a big "off" gap will present itself. Basically give me a time slot I can aim for.

8. blitter

blitter Well-Known Member

Hi again, I don't want to hijack the thread but Easter is just around the next corner and I do wonder if the OP has made a decision about their release date?

Tiny did get me thinking for a minute (women have that effect on the rest of us lol)...seeing as I'm about to go against the grain here. I'm no expert too and Tiny's plan does sound like a plan. But I'm going on instinct here as the app store is an ideal place for doing so.

I'll report back how it goes, submission will happen tomorrow.