iPad Turmoil (by Gamious B.V.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rosso

Rosso Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    #21 Rosso, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    Oh... after 2 hours it gets so damn repetitive... bit underwhelmed after a great first impression. There is just no new content - you have seen the entire game (apart from upgrades) after less than an hour. Compared to other games at half or less the price, its a bit of a bad surprise.

What doesnt help is that the game tends to crash very very often (iPad Air 2). As this often happens far into a level, I lost a lot of progress (levels have to be restarted).

@Developer, if you read this: please let me turn my device 180degrees! ATM the screem orientation is fixed, which is just bad. Will take your programmer about 10 seconds to take care of this!! Thank you!!

2. RobsLive

RobsLive Member

Oct 25, 2016
    I'm playing on an iPad Mini and had to stop playing shortly after the tutorial because the UI made it too hard to play. Most of the interface is too small or too close together. I also wish that the game would rotate with my device.

3. Nachtegeller

Nachtegeller Member

Sep 18, 2014
    Hi Rosso and RobsLive,

Sorry to hear that.
    Different zones of the map give you extra challenges like Rocks, Gas and the Snowy Mountains part gives you Thermalheating did you see those? You can't reach all zones in under an hour.
    The further in the game on different parts of the map it gets more challenging and complex.
    The main game is a repeating oildrilling cycle but the challenge grows.

The crashing part on your ipad air 2 is ofc not how we planned it.
    Totally understand that gets annoying, and I already Reported that to rest of the devs!
    Not to many reports of those fortunately, any special moment it seems to crash?

On the fixed orientation part, the smaller the horizontal screen the smaller it all gets.
    Maybe we can do something with the orientation and scaling but don't get you hopes up to much for that.
    Were very small team and try to do our very best!

Thanks for downloading!:D

4. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I feel like in game you should clarify what "stop level" means. I had to leave the game at the start of a new dig and went searching for a pause back to the menu of some sort and found "stop level" to be the closest. Turns out "stop level" means forfeit level while the AI makes full gains on their fields. Ouch.

On the plus side I'm finding this fairly engaging though longevity Unknown. And yeh, things open up a little and you need to make decisions when you get to the other fields. I've started hitting rocks and that really hurts, so I dumped like $20k(?) on an upgraded drill bit to go through rock. Tough call for the expense but hoping it pays off as I haven't seen the AI buy it.

I was out in front with a decent lead until I upgraded the drill bit which I hope pays off, and then "stop level'ed" (forfeited).

5. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Hey Nachtegeller, how is the drill upgrade meant to work? I'm finding that I'm still hitting rock and it stops me. For a $20k or whatever it was expense I'm not sure I'm seeing a benefit.

6. Jos Bouman

Jos Bouman Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Hey everyone, thanks for all the compliments! And sorry about the game sometimes crashing. It appears to be something that happens on a limited number of devices, and we're in the process of trying to fix it asap.

To speed up the process, it would be very helpful if we could see screenshots of crash reports. It would also be helpful to know if the crashes happen at random or at specific times or places in the game (in-level, for instance and not in the village).

Please let me know! Many thanks.

And oh, @Talbs, buying the rig upgrade alone is not enough. You also have to activate it by pressing the button attached to the drill.

7. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Thanks for the advice Jos. Didn't even notice those small tabs. Makes good sense now.

I'm back on to having a good time with this. I've made it to the second field and there's now even stock options. No idea what what stock options will yield in the end, and I'm yet to even win any yet.

So yeh, to Rosso above, I kind of think you're judging way to soon. Sounds like you haven't even made it to the second field. I'm still not sure if I'll replay once I'm done, but nonetheless, for the time being I'm a few hours in to this. It's fairly unique and there's a few different aspects on which you need to balance the decision to spend money while considering where else it might be better spent.

Having said that, I'm finding that I'm constantly winning the oil digs. I will always score the highest, anywhere around $15 to $20k, while the closest AI will be either near there or even half of my score. We shall see whether I get a run away lead on the AI on my first play through. Like I said, I'm yet to win a stock bid so maybe the AI knows what's going on on that front and playing me for the schmuck.

8. PoloBaquerizoH

PoloBaquerizoH Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Will it be universal suppoort for iOS? Also iPhone?

9. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    To the devs. I've been doing some testing, and it appears that whatever you do while in the town overview screen (workshop, town hall etc), if you exit the game even just to the start screen, it won't save whatever you did. Eg, if you buy an upgrade and then exit, you'll have to buy it again. Or if you do the stock auction and then exit to the main screen, it won't be saved. It appears that maybe the only saving that takes place is after a dig? So if you do a stock auction and then upgrade your gear and finally do a dig, complete the dig and return, only then will your progress be saved.

10. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    Re: the crashing, it only crashes during levels, towards the end of the level. It crashes to the homescreen, there's no error message shown.
    It doesn't crash if you fully exit and restart the app after every level.

Re: fixed orientation, the problem isn't that it's fixed in horizontal orientation, the problem is that it is fixed in one of the two horizontal orientations, iPads and iPads cases aren't symmetrical, sometimes it can be more convenient to have the charging port on the right (if that's near a power outlet or something like that) and cases with stands often only work one way round.
    If it could be made to work in both horizontal orientations that would be great.

11. Rosso

Rosso Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Thanks for your reply.

Gotta be brief atm:

- have seen 3 of the 4 areas to play in. I like the gas (though I dont understand the left/right link upgrades). Havent seen Thermalheating yet. Looking forward.

- reg. the statement that later on the game becomes more challenging. Sorry, but absolutely not when it comes to the AI. Man, do these guys suck. I normally get about 3-4 times the cash in a level that they earn.

- crashes: yes, unfortunately it seems to crash at the very end of a level in 9/10 cases. That is making it especially annoying. Result screen and crash. Gotta repeat entire level - lost everything from that session. Happens very often. Very!

- rotation: no no! Misunderstanding! No need to scale anything - this is about flipping the device. Rotating it a 180 degrees. Not landscape vs portrait. Of course not!....

Cheers
    Achim

12. Nachtegeller

Nachtegeller Member

Sep 18, 2014

Hi Rosso,

- The left, right link upgrades lets you transport gas to the Right or Left inc.
    As soon as they receive gas the oilprice goes up very fast, so if you time it right you can have big profit.

- Indeed the Ai is quite simple to beat when you are familiar with the game, so most challenge is comes inside the digging for oil part. Although as soon as you finish the game once you unlock an expert mode.
    The Ai is a lot better in expert mode.

- Ill Report the crashing part to the rest of the Devs thanks for specifying. (Jos, another poster on this form is the designer and producer of this game, so he might know more about that part)

- Ah ofc sorry I misunderstood you, ye rotating is a good upgrade! Again telling the devs.
    Shouldn't be to much of a hassle to fix that!

Hope this helps!

13. Nachtegeller

Nachtegeller Member

Sep 18, 2014

PoloBaquerizoH:
    Its not on iPhone but if one day it will, we should be aming for universal!
    I really like that myself!

Talbs:
    Thanks for you great words and for specifying a problem what sounds like a bug!
    Telling the devs!

HLW:
    Mmm, good to know!
    Will help the devs greatly with fixing the bug.
    Hopefully can patch that soon as possible.

And yes like I told Rosso earlier that was a misunderstanding.
    The Rotation of screen indeed very convenient and sound like a small patchable thing.

Thanks for all the posts guys!
    Keep playing :D

14. Nachtegeller

Nachtegeller Member

Sep 18, 2014
    Big Edit:

Sorry to spam post :p

I just found out that the programmer already fixed the endgame crash bug
    and also made the much requested screen rotation!
    Where just waiting for Apple to validate the patch.

Sorry for the crashes, that should be a thing of the past!

:D

15. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Ok, so, I finished the game. Quite proud to say that because it's only a rare few games that I finish simply due to them taking to long (imo) and loosing interest. This game however did just enough to keep my interest and was just long enough. I'd estimate I played maybe 3 hours or a touch more to completion. It's a simulation game that's fairly binge worthy to get to completion of that's all you're after and that's perfectly fine with me.

I wouldn't say there's huge depth here, in fact I won quite easily, and barely upgraded much at all. I'd actually say that's what won it for me. There were upgrades to tap into and use the gas you find but I found the gas to be in so little quantity that this aspect was redundant. Plenty of the other upgrades in my opinion just for this overall theme of really not having any great payoff for the cash outlay.

The AI wasn't particularly a challenge but to me felt like more of a guide to keeping me on pace with what's expected. Each drill I'd come in above the AI which lead to me overall in the end having the money bulk to muscle the others out of bids for the stock auction.
    Actually, if the AI had started to beat me lid mid game, I would've maybe in fact be pissed and thrown the game away. That's just being honest. I wouldn't feel like playing this again to try and get a win in the same way one would with FTL. So actually it was just as well that the AI is not great or tamed for the first play through.

It did get repetitive but actually the length of the game makes it satisfactory to complete without overstaying it's welcome. I actually found what was repetitive to actually be addictive. It is addictive to go searching for the oil and build up your extraction method (mainly just spam rigs, pipes, and horse and cart) over and over.

Apparently after completion you can play through with a harder AI, but really at this point in time I don't quite have that desire. Maybe some time in the future.

Is a nifty, short game that's binge worthy and addictive to punch out one victorious playthrough.

16. Jos Bouman

Jos Bouman Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Hi all,

An update for Turmoil went live a couple of hours ago. Please let us know if this fixes issues with crashes, and adjust your ratings accordingly. ;)

It also has screen rotation and some tiny other fixes.

Thanks for your patience,

Jos

17. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Is phone support coming soon or not possible