Search for a developer

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by likeudreamit, Dec 22, 2013.

1. likeudreamit

likeudreamit Member

Dec 20, 2013
    Hi, i am searching for a developer who is skilled and can create 3d mobile game. It does not matter weather is for android or ios. The developer should be willing to work on the project for percentage of the profits from selling the game. The percentage is negotiable.

2. OnlyJoe

OnlyJoe Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Auckland
    Are you a graphic designer or 3d artist? Not just someone with a game idea? A game idea is really worth nothing at all, there are just so many ideas out there, and I have hundreds of my own ideas that I want to make. I get people all the time saying they have a game idea, and then trying to offer me 30% for me to do all the work. On the other hand, if you have a development skill to offer, such as graphics, sound, programming etc. Then that is a totally different story.

3. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    This is so true!!!!

game ideas are worth pretty much zero at that point of the development process.

If you have one of those skills mentioned you should be leading with it or any coder is just going to move on.

4. likeudreamit

likeudreamit Member

Dec 20, 2013
    i can do some of the graphics but not all of it. You can invite a friend of yours to participate in the project. And the percentage is not 30, it is 40. And if there are two of you we will take additionally.

5. likeudreamit

likeudreamit Member

Dec 20, 2013
  6. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    You are dreaming my friend...

If they are doing all the coding and the more complex graphics 40% with no upfront payment is grossly unfair. I don't understand why they would do your idea rather than their own and get 100%.

My advice to you is to skill up if you can't afford a developer.

7. likeudreamit

likeudreamit Member

Dec 20, 2013
    and why do u think they will have better idea? and i said that if they are two we will talk additionally, if u do not want to do it, just do not comment, i understood your point of view - thank you

8. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
  9. Enlevel Studio

Enlevel Studio Well-Known Member

Great article!

I want to chime in as a programmer/producer.

When I go to hire an artist or designer, I'm trying to sell myself to them. Just because I have money to hire someone doesn't mean he will want to work for me. He must know that I have everything planned out and I know what to do (that usually comes from making many previous games), I know how to delegate tasks and guide/help him along the way ... not just say, hey, I have great idea, make it happen.

Same with hiring artist. Just because you are the idea or money guy, doesn't mean people will line up to work for you. You have to sell yourself to that person... it goes both ways.

10. bw1024

bw1024 Member

Good games are all about implementation rather than ideas. Read this link. I doubt you'll find a decent game developer with more time than game ideas, because our ideas are why we all get into developing in the first place.

11. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    #11 Destined, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
    I was looking for that one when I posted the other one too. The interesting thing about that chart is that is the better the execution the more the developer percentage should be. For example brillant idea poor execution the idea mans share is about 2% but with so so it becomes 0.2% and so on.

I can also say where I work there are loads of good ideas thrown around, but the ones that get used are where the person already has some level of execution to the idea that we just need polish/develop further. The ones which are just ideas on a piece of paper get forgotten soon enough.

12. OnlyJoe

Sep 29, 2013
    Auckland
    @Destined and bw1024, Thanks for those articles.

I also like this one: http://www.jeffwofford.com/?p=605 Gives some idea of just how much a game idea is worth.

Merry Christmas also.

13. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Well you may have had some negative replies to your post but sadly they are all very true. Your going to have to bring something more to the table than "I can do some graphics". All game ideas or worthless without the ability to make them and even the best mobile games will more often than not make no money.

Maybe if you at least stated the type of game and what experience you have of project managing game development? do you have any examples of artwork/graphics you have done in the past? if your were an amazing artist then it might be possible to team up with a programmer.

The alternative is to just raise some money and pay a developer or you could get some artwork together and try kickstarter.

14. likeudreamit

likeudreamit Member

Dec 20, 2013
    i am willing to put all efforts needed to do this, if there is anyone who want to try to make it happen, i will be happy to give all my best for the project

15. likeudreamit

likeudreamit Member

Dec 20, 2013
    i understand that you all hates idea guys like me, but i am person like you and i am willing to achieve something just like you, if i do not have all the qualities that does not mean that i am not willing to give everything i can

16. OnlyJoe

Sep 29, 2013
    Auckland
    Please don't think this is an attack on you. It is not, having a passion for game design is what brings people to this forum, and that is something we all share. Passion is just the start and should be a motivation to learn and build skills needed to progress in this industry.

Game development should be thought of as an industry, much like any other business industry, lets say the car industry. If you were to go to a car company, say Ford, and present your idea for a car and suggest that they make your car idea, and they can keep 40% of the profit for making it, would you expect them to accept that? I wouldn't. For one, the car company would want to know why you think your idea for a car is better than their's, when they have a huge amount of experience and knowledge in designing and developing cars. And then second, even if your idea is better, the money just wouldn't add up, they must develop, test, market, distribute and sell the car, and they can only keep 40% of the money. So it just doesn't happen.

Game ideas are a great thing to have, I love thinking about new games and how they would work, but keep in mind that game development is an industry. It is a very fun and creative industry, and this does give the impression that it is easy. But as most developers and designers here will know, it is quite the opposite, and is in fact very hard to make a good, successful game. But we keep on trying, because there is a real excitement in creating games.

17. Destined

Aug 11, 2013

+1 to this.

My point of posting about the value of ideas was to show you if you have a passion and want to get into it you either need to skill up and bring skills to the table of value or be willing to pay for the development.

It is good your willing to give your best, your best just needs to be of value to the project :)

There is nothing wrong with ideas, we all have them, lots of them, and have belief in them. There are lots I can't wait to develop but I am trying to work my up by doing projects I can finish.

18. likeudreamit

likeudreamit Member

Dec 20, 2013
    i see, you are budge of cool guys, i appreciate your thoughts and comments... can you give me some hints how to start on developing my skills to such level that i can start my project? i am innovative and creative mind - more design thinking but also game-play, effects, cool stunts and etc. I am not sure which quality to develop more- design the graphics or code creation. The thing is that i should develop the one that is more like a passion to me but there are the two opposites - i really have a gift for thinking about new stuff for design, however sometimes i just want to make the code for my special effect for the game, stunts and etc. Can you tell me some learning courses or sth

19. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    On the coding side computer science is a good flexible official course (and gives you many other opportunities outside gaming). On the the art side I am not sure.

You can always download a free game engine and just following tutorials. Some like Stencyl don't require much coding, while others like unity offer more coding and thus more flexibility.

On the art side again many tutorials on youtube!

20. likeudreamit

likeudreamit Member

Dec 20, 2013
    i have studied one year computer science in United Kingdom but i do not thing this will be enough to start coding right away