The definitive Puzzle RPG for iPhone?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by cdbaksu, Jul 30, 2014.

1. cdbaksu

cdbaksu Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Hey guys, I'm looking for a great Puzzle RPG for my iPhone but I'm sick and tired of the freemium, always online, pay for action points kind of game.

I'd rather pay for a great premium game (that I can also play offline).

Can you please recommend me your definitive Puzzle RPG? Thanks in advance!

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    There's really no better puzzle RPG than the original Puzzle Quest, but unfortunately it's no longer available on iOS. Puzzle Quest 2 is not as good, but it does deliver a "AAA" puzzle RPG experience -- make sure to pick up the premium version, not the fremium one.

3. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
  4. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I second squarezero. I am always on the lookout for new ones, and Darkin just came out 2 months ago - I will have to check it out. Over the years though, Puzzle Quest /2 has proven to have a lot of staying power and I have played it and beaten it many times using different characters, equipment, spells, etc. Puzzle Quest 2 is a great experience that I am sure you will enjoy.

5. Womble

Womble Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2013
    #5 Womble, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
    Yeah im so glad i bought the original pq before they removed it..
    Darkin is great, but i hope it doesnt get abandoned..

6. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Dungeon Raid

7. mr haptic

mr haptic Active Member

Jul 22, 2014
    I lost a few hours to Dungeon Scroll the other night so that's my recommendation.

8. Empfmil

Empfmil Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2012
    I just learned today that Puzzle & Dragons has finally come to the appstore here in europe. Is it worth picking up? Is it as good as i've often heard? What do you guys think? (Sorry for hijacking thread...)

9. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    #9 Nekku, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
    P&D is already available for months in the EU :D
    It's the best Match-3 Puzzler, imo. Sure, there are IAP's and a Rare Egg Machine for which you'll have to buy Premium currency but GungHo is very generous with giving them out for free, plus you'll get hundreds just for completing dungeons. I mostly have 5 to 6 rolls for free every month. Just make sure you re-roll a good starter cuz otherwise things can get quite difficult. Godfest starts tomorrow at 8pm UTC so it's a good time for re-rolling! (Never roll outside Godfests!)
    I'm at Level 210 so far and it's the only game which still lasts on my device.

On topic:
    Besides PQ, I had a great time with Might & Magic: Clash Of Heroes. It's not Match-3 but still an awesome Puzzle RPG which also received a huge amount of awards for being that good.
    No iAP, just a pure premium experience.

10. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Might & Magic Clash of Heroes
    Dungeon Raid
    Darkin
    PQ2

And yeah, i agree with what Squarezero said about the first PQ.

11. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    IT IS a match-3.

12. NiceDude

NiceDude Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2014
    The upcoming MiniDungeons (https://mobile.twitter.com/MiniDungeons) is excellent. Currently in alpha, it'll be released on IOS eventually. A fantastic mix of roguelike, RPG, Match-3 elements, and surprisingly strategic combat. You guys are going to love it

13. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^Cant be the "definitive" match-3 rpg hybrid if it hasnt even been played yet. :D

14. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Have you people not heard of Pixel Defenders Puzzle? Get it now.

15. mr haptic

mr haptic Active Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Does Hearthstone count? I know it's a card game but it does possess a lot of RPG elements.

16. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    #16 Nekku, Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
    I've meant a "traditional" match-3 puzzler but whatever. :D

I wish there were an match-3 open world dungeon crawler RPG like The Quest but with top-notch graphics and as soon as a fight starts you wont fight in a traditional way but instead a match-3 board slides up from the bottom Screen and you would have to match certain colors for different actions like 3 reds for melee attack, green for ranged attack, blue for magic, etc.
    And then variable attacks based on the formation of orbs like "L" for a side attack or "T" for an rush attack. Make the orb matching mechanic as in P&D so you can make combos like 3 reds for melee attack + 3 blues for magic which results into an attack with your fire(or any other element based on the orb formation) enchanted sword. Possibilities would be endless. God, I also wish I could develope this by myself. :D

17. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    No I haven't - and the screen shots are not much to write home about. Is is really that good? Will it keep ones interest for a long time? So many of these games are fun, but have no staying power.

18. Alex Wolf

Alex Wolf Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    It is really good..

19. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    I know what you mean by that, but to be pedantic, it has been played. I've sunk over six hours into it and absolutely loved it - one of the best matchers I've played by a long shot.

OT: Not much more I can add. Kudos to the mention of Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes, goes overlooked far too often. If I think of more, I'll add them of course.

20. Empfmil

Empfmil Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Haven't played thos one either, but apparently Block Legend is supposed to be good?