How phones have changed the puzzle game!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by blockthelaser, Apr 30, 2011.

1. #1 blockthelaser, Apr 30, 2011
    Last edited: May 1, 2011
    The best modern puzzles have three things in common:

1) Cute sounds and graphics
    The best puzzle characters are so cute that they look like the offspring of Hello Kitty and Tickle-Me Elmo.

2) Use of unique phone interface
    ET knows what a phone is because he wants to phone home, but most other aliens might think that we humans have a very abusive relationship with our phones. We like to yell into it, tilt it, tap it, and swipe at it.

3) Short and Simple
    To solve a modern puzzle takes about 3 to 5 moves and one small insight. This is a perfect length for busy people who only have a minute to spare while waiting in line at the grocery store.

I am a huge puzzle enthusiast but, unlike the majority of the population, I don't like modern puzzle games. I am not entrhalled by cute sounds and graphics. I get annoyed when pop-up windows keep trying to get me to connect to a game center and earning achievements are worthless to me. These game makers do everything they can to distract and mesmerize--an ADD style game for an ADD world.
    Not only are modern games too short, but they are too easy. They don't challenge me or frustrate me. And yes, I do enjoy being taken to my limits with frustration. The closer I am to the edge when I solve the puzzle, the more enjoyment I get out of it.

Anyway, here is a list of some good old-school style puzzle games that might not be well known.

1) Percepto
    This is a clever puzzle game! Whatever the designers were smoking when they were making this game, pass it here!

2) Boxed In
    This game is a classic! Made by two brothers, the concept is very simple, but also challenging and rewarding. The best thing about Boxed In is that if you like it, there are two sequals available to keep you entertained for a long time.

I'd be curious to know what your favorite old-school game are. Or if you like modern puzzle games better, why?

2. Deltacows1

Deltacows1 Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    I like a newer title called "Dungeon Raid." The combination of a beautifully-designed interface, RPG stats and a new type of puzzle game are really fun.

3. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    lets not try to promote your own app here

4. mkjate

mkjate Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2011
    He may not promote game here. Yet none of them I ever know. Thanks for sharing! :p

5. Understood. Let me go read the rules now before I make a bigger fool of myself.

6. PhagoCychotic

PhagoCychotic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    #6 PhagoCychotic, May 1, 2011
    Last edited: May 1, 2011
    ^I don't think anything wrong was done.

As for my opinion regarding the topic at hand, I have a love for all puzzles, easy and hard. When it's frustrating to the point that it's unplayable (be it control issues or a level lock) I would have something to complain about.

[app]Tesseract[/app] is a hard puzzle in my opinion. But I like it as much as I like to play match-3 "puzzles."

7. Another puzzle game worth considering.

[app]Tesseract[/app] is a hard puzzle in my opinion. But I like it as much as I like to play match-3 "puzzles."[/QUOTE]

Tesseract does look difficult. I'm going to try it out. Thanks for the tip.

There's another puzzle game that I like called RoboLogic, where you sequence actions into funtions to control a robot, but you have to plan it out thoughtfully because you are only allowed a limited number of commands. RoboLogic is worth the $1, but I would love to see someone take this concept to the next level. Here's a link to the RoboLogic Lite if you guys want to check it out.

I would love to see an app version of Portal. Anyone know if one exists?

8. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Yea, RoboLogic is pretty good. There was another good puzzler and was a robot on triangular pads in 3D and once it would cross a side it would turn a shade of color to know you've been there. Anyway, can't think of the name but was very challenging to play and a great concept for game play.

9. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

In his post is not the slightest hint that he promotes his app. Maybe he said something about it and took it out, but that should be ok by now.

Devs are gamers, too - and why shouldn't he talk about a genre he loves?
    He's looking in the same way for good games and hidden gems as we do.

10. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #10 Vovin, May 2, 2011
    Last edited: May 2, 2011

Here, here! Big puzzle fan myself!

Ever heard of PegIt Bronze! or PegIt Gold? Although small in size, is has a lot of puzzles and they get more and more challenging. You can try the free Bronze version.
    PathPix is also one nice puzzler... with a great art style. I also should mention Rooms!, I like that. Simple concept in a polished design.

11. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    #11 Dazarath, May 2, 2011
    You missed when his list was 3 games long with one of them being his own.

I agree. Devs should be gamers, and it's usually obvious when they aren't (ie. they have no idea what gamers want or they make mistakes that were made in the 90s). I think it's a great for a dev to generate discussion on a genre for which he is going to create a game in order to get feedback from players, as well as figure out what people like/dislike. What's shady is when you create a "best of" thread and try to promote your own game as one of them. What's considered best should really be decided by the players, not by the devs of those games.

12. #12 blockthelaser, May 2, 2011
    Hey Deltacows1,

I took your suggestion and downloaded Dungeon Raid and I am in shock! The screenshots that I've seen for this game make it look very lame, but this is actually a great game. It's like a slot machine combined with a combat role-playing game. Also, this isn't even my preferred puzzle genre, but hey, you can't argue with fun. And this game is fun.

Next I'm going to try tesseract & the PegIt games that Vovin recommended.
    Keep recommending good puzzle games but please include an explaination as to why you like them. I'm very curous about what is going on inside the minds of people that make some people hate puzzles and some people love them, and if you love them, what is it that you love about them.

13. jayanthgurijala

jayanthgurijala Well-Known Member

SpacePuzzle...

How about this?

14. #14 blockthelaser, May 2, 2011
    Very nice promo video jay!
    I'll add your game to my list and I'll even write my opinion of it here in a few days. But I would like a favor from you as well. Since you are a game developer, you might have a unique perspective on what, in your opinion, makes a puzzle good and how or why it provides enjoyment to those that play them. Also, can you list your top two favorite puzzle apps and tell me what you like about them.

15. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    Ok...please someone open a new thread with title : "the most difficult puzzle game for iOS devices"

16. del

del Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    i just recommended it on another thread but I'll recommend it again (it was recommended to me on here a while back): Denki Blocks.

Maybe everyone knows it. I have no idea. I've played through the whole game and done all of the additional time and shape challenges. There's only one level I haven't been able to beat. Impossible!

Anyway, I love puzzle games and this one is really nicely designed, in my opinion.

17. del

del Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    by the way, thanks for these other suggestions, you guys. I'm going to buy tesseract and percepto.

18. mkjate

mkjate Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Now that pointed out as the clever puzzle game, Percepto, I'll give it a try.

19. jayanthgurijala

jayanthgurijala Well-Known Member

First the list of puzzles I love:
    1. TrainYard
    2. UnblockMe

Firstly, they make an excellent use of the touch. Secondly, to solve them, you need to think and only think, they are deterministic. I consider games like Angry Birds, Cut the Rope etc not deterministic meaning you need to choose your moves and time them properly which puts me off. Thirdly, the visual effects. Flashy and 3D effects irritate me. The games I mentioned have a simple but appealing visual appearance. I consider TrainYard as the game which inspired me. Its like a movie. You make your moves, sit back, relax and watch the fun. Whats better than a movie which you can control? While designing my game I kept all these things in my mind, touch, determinism, visual effects, watching a movie. And last but not the least, strategy, each puzzle must involve the user figuring out a subtle trick. The last point would be extensively used in the next episode of the SpacePuzzle series, "Attack of the Sentinels"....

20. lomaelli

lomaelli Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    That has been discussed alot before.