Attack of the Kraken - Coming (very!) soon! Old-school 2D shooter from Quantum Sheep!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by quantumsheep, Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quantumsheep

quantumsheep Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    The Head Cheese, Top Dog, Numero Uno Honcho, Quant
    London
    #1 quantumsheep, Jul 29, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
    Hey everyone! Hope you're well!

This is the first time I've posted about an upcoming game on Touch Arcade and I'm very excited to introduce to you 'Attack of the Kraken' for iPhone 3GS devices and upwards.

It's an old-school 2D Retro Shooter influenced by classic games such as Attack of the Mutant Camels, Defender and Time Pilot as well as John Wyndham's awesome sci-fi classic novel 'The Kraken Wakes'.

Here are some screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's a short sneak peek YouTube trailer:

Essentially, you have to stop the giant Kraken from advancing by shooting them multiple times!

There are also UFOs to deal with, that perform different functions (Jammers, for instance, disrupt your radar until they're damaged enough).

There are 16 levels in total right now, across seven different environments.

The scoring system is pretty cool I think. Essentially, it's tied to your shields.

At Maximum shields, you get maximum points for each hit.
    If your shields are damaged, you get progressively less points for each hit.
    A 'Regenerator' UFO kill will put your shields back up to maximum!

Additionally, destroying an enemy while your shields are at Max gets you a 'Perfect Kill' for that enemy.

Each Perfect Kill adds to your research, and a fully researched enemy will make them easier to kill, as well as possibly stopping a certain trait (i.e. the jammer UFOs mentioned before would no longer be able to disrupt your radar).

I think it's a lot of fun, and I hope you guys like it! It'll be available in about a week or so, depending on Apple's review times!

It will have an introductory price of just $.99 for the first few days of release, and I'll get onto making a 'lite' version as soon as the main game is finished!

Thanks for reading, and please feel free to ask any questions - I'll try and pop in and answer them as best I can!

Many thanks!

Quantumsheep :D

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I found the video by accident a couple of weeks ago and I meant to start a thread on it but ended up forgetting. This looks absolutely great -- like a campaign-based version of Mini Squadron. Will be keeping an eye on it.

3. nikhsterboi

nikhsterboi Well-Known Member

Looks amazing!

4. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    iPhone 3GS and up???? I assume on the iPod side that means no second gen, right? Aw man, I was really looking forward to this one, too. Guess I've got to get me an upgrade one of these days.

5. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Looks awesome! I love the art style. Really reminds me of minisquadron, hope it's as good, if not better.

So it's not supported for the ipod 2nd gen?

6. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Thanks all for the kind words and the interest! Warms the cockles of my sheepy heart! :D

It's a little more old-school than mini-squadron - think 'Time Pilot' instead ;)

And yes, unfortunately for now it's 3GS upwards. I'm optimising the game as I write (with an awful headache I might add!) but I don't think the minimum spec is going to change at this point! Sorry!

Cheers,

QS :D

7. POLYGAMe

POLYGAMe Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Game Developer (iOS, Mega Drive, C64)
    Auckland, New Zealand
    This is my fave game right now on my iPod... I'm lucky enough to be a tester. Seriously... it is GOOD!!!

8. mantisLJD

mantisLJD Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2010
    student, friend, brother, son
    Not for 2nd generation ipod-touch?! well that sucks :(

9. Notthevictim

Notthevictim Well-Known Member

That's really disappointing, it looks like it can handle it. You should definitely try to get it on there, because I'm sure it's the #1 seller out of all the Ipod Touches.

10. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    @Mantis and NottheVictim (and all other 2G users really!)

Hi guys,

Firstly, let me just say that I'm really amazed people are interested in my little game to the point of being disappointed it won't run on their system! Honestly, I wasn't expecting this. I am deeply humbled.

There's a bunch of stuff I'm hoping to add to the game in future updates, so I'll certainly be revisiting my little world and will look into optimising it more then. Fingers crossed I'll be able to get it to work.

Right now though, it's chug city on anything less than a 3GS :( There's a hell of a lot of stuff going on in the background that really makes keeping frame rates high difficult!

So 3GS + for now - 'lesser' devices later, if possible!

Cheers,

11. mantisLJD

mantisLJD Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2010
    student, friend, brother, son
    What if i bought the game but don't care about the framerate would it even run on my 2nd Gen iPod?

12. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    I'll be limiting it to arm7 processor devices I'm afraid.

Sorry.

While I really appreciate your enthusiasm, really bad framerates (to the point of it crashing your ipod) is not something I want other people to experience when playing my game.

I feel awful now but I've had this game in my head for a long time, ever since I read Kraken Wakes and played Attack of the Mutant Camels/Empire Strikes Back.

I've put a lot of love into my silly little game, and I really want people to experience it the way it's meant to be experienced!

Your comments have opened my eyes to how important older devices are though, so thank you for that!

13. nikhsterboi

nikhsterboi Well-Known Member

NOOOOO!!!! Just saw this was only for 3GS and above! :(

14. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Dammit. This game honestly looks really good.

Well actually... When is the release date? If it's in the fall, I'll be able to get it because I'll be upgrading to ipod 4thgen.

15. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Thank you for saying that. The graphics were done by ian at debug-design. He's a wonderful chap! I said 'I need an island' - he gave me the island from LOST :D

We've put in a few other surprises too, which you should spot if you're a sci-fi nut like me ;)

You'll have a more powerful machine than me! I'm stuck on 3GS till next year!

The game is actually supposed to go to Apple on Sunday - I have tomorrow to finalise, optimise and polish stuff up, and the whole of Sunday to bughunt and then fix the bugs I've hunted!

Well, that's the plan anyway. In my experience, these things always take longer than you think. But fingers crossed, eh?

Cheers,

16. Notthevictim

Notthevictim Well-Known Member

Hey, in the future if you need people to beta test a version of the game for lesser devices, I would be happy to help!!

17. JGary321

JGary321 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    Wow, this looks great. Love the art style.. Has a little new & a little retro look. So many good games coming out lately, I'm gonna go broke.

18. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Love it. I think the QS logo is cute as hell too. Looking forward to this one quite a bit.

19. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Cheers Sammy!

The QS Logo was done by my good friend Dan, who's also done the cute artwork for my next game - it's quite different to Kraken!

People seem to like it. I mean, who could resist a sheep as cute as that?

20. flourbros

flourbros Active Member

Jul 30, 2010
    I just bought my first iPhone and I rellay think I'm gonna save a few bucks for this one!

Does it have retina display support ?