You buy one game, then the whole catalogue

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Baron Cappuccino, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Baron Cappuccino

Baron Cappuccino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 1, 2011
    Member-Owner Steampunk Cafe, LLC
    Plainfield, CT
    I got Crashlands during its recent recognition and press, and naturally, because I like fun, I have no regrets. On the contrary, it made me go ahead and buy all the other apps in the BS-tagged universe, and I'm very glad I did. A fully buttered BS library is a wonderful thing.

It's not the first time this has happened to me. I always find myself discovering not so much the game, but the developers, and next thing I know, I've bought their entire catalogue. It happened after Crashlands, after Super Cat Tales, happens all the time. With P1XL, RPG Quest Minimæ made me an intensely loyal fan turned tester. Still playing that one annually.

Anyone else find themselves drawn more to developers as a whole more than one-off apps?

2. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Yep. There is one developer that I will instantly buy a game from.
    That would be WaveLight Games.
    Their first game, Demons Rise, was an intense, though pretty rough, tactical rpg.
    Through a lot of feedback from the TouchArcade community the game has progressed into what is now a somewhat benchmark for tactical rpgs on the mobile platform.
    The developer is incredibly responsive to suggestions and ideas from the community and is constantly updating the game still.
    When Demons Rise 2 was released it was an immediate buy for me.
    More games are coming from the developer and I will be purchasing them as soon as they are released.

3. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    I have an embarrassing number of Square Enix games. Does that count? In no way do I have all of their games though, just a lot of their premium RPGs and all the GO games.

However, there is one developer where I played one of their games and decided I had to have their entire catalogue, and that was Inkle. Started with Sorcery 3, and now have all their main games. Oh, and SuperGiant too, but that's just Bastion and Transistor, so not too extensive.

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    FDG games have all been instabought.

Back then i was instabuying everything from my favorite devs, even if i dont really like the theme or genre of the game. Now, only FDG is left on that list. The rest are still favorite devs, just that i have a different hobby now that just eats massive amounts of time.

5. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    Foursaken media is a dev insta buy everything from for the last 6 years or so

6. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Rocketcat, Simogo, Inkle, Telltale (might rethink if they keep on messing on the tech part on iOS), Tin Man Games, Wave Light kind of win me, even if I couldn't get around to playing their game, Mooff.

Buy anything from them without a second thought. In fact, I own all their games.

7. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    By the way, have you read about Inkle's next game?

"The Pillars of the Game
    But there a few things we're certain of - the pillars of the game, around which we hope to build our temple.

It's going to be made in Unity. After so long making iOS-first games, this is quite a change for us, but we want to be releasing our games across as many platforms as we can.

It's going to use a next-generation version of our ink writing engine. We'll talk a bit more about this in the coming months, but ink2 takes all the best parts about ink1 and adds more flexibility and power.

It's going to use dialogue. A lot of dialogue. In every game we've made, we've found dialogue is what works the best - so much so, that we told 80 Days entirely through one character's voice.

It's about a partnership. Two characters are better than one, especially if your game is about dialogue! We discovered this the moment Jann the Minimite first appeared back in Sorcery!, and the combination of Passepartout and Fogg is at the heart of 80 Days.

It's going to be beautiful.

It's going to take you somewhere you have never been before. For the first time, we aren't adapting anything, but starting from scratch. That's exciting, but also terrifying - what if people don't like the world we've created?

That's what we know for certain so far. Discovering the rest of the game is like caving - exploring dark passages, retreating from dead-ends, and occasionally holding one's breath to swim through a flooded, darkened chamber in the hope of coming up on the other side...

We'll tell you more, once we get there."

8. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Doing their own world? I have no doubt that they will nail it. I'd still like to see them do wonderful things with other IP too though. After all, they've done Jules Verne; I'd love to see an HG Wells or an Edgar Rice Burroughs. But I have the utmost faith in the Inkle team. Cheers for the heads-up!

9. zohaali146

zohaali146 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2017
    wow, i thought I am the only one who do that

10. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Definitely. Trese Brothers, Orangepixel, Michael Brough are some of the few for me at this stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. TheOutlander

TheOutlander Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    That has to be the Lifeline series, grabbed the first one quite a while ago, now I own and played them all on my iPad, now I'm going back and trying them on my phone, I really like the concept of the games

12. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    That's alright! What's your new hobby, bud? Me too! I'm building marble runs, or rolling ball sculptures! Making 'em outta steel wire, making wooden ones, and recently put together a Spacerail #8! Really cool stuff! Actually having lots of fun and I'm finding it super rewarding when I'm done and honestly some are pretty bad-ass! #