Understanding the iPhone Game Market - Match 3D vs. Line Up Pro

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by PlayScreen, Oct 26, 2009.

1. PlayScreen

PlayScreen Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    #1 PlayScreen, Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
    Here's the simple question:

Why is Line Up Pro:

[​IMG]

Selling more copies than Match 3D:

[​IMG]

I think if we can understand that, we can make Match 3D into a better game.

I really do appreciate your help in this.

2. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    Line Up Pro = $0.99
    Match 3D Flick Puzzle = $2.99

3. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    And that is the simple and true answer, iPhone gamers are cheap.

4. PlayScreen

Jan 2, 2009
    Match 3D was $0.99 for quite some time AND was featured by Apple.

So I don't know if that is exactly it.

The Free version of Line Up also out downloaded the Free version of Match 3D.

5. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    Line Up Pro comes from an established developer of the popular game Flood-It.
    Line Up lite was the top free game because it is simple. Match 3D looks too complicated.

6. eggzbacon

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    Line Up looks a little less complicated and looks very simple.

7. Knight

Knight Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Game Developer
    Heh, thats a million dollar question.

Have you tried a Lite version maybe?

edit: nevermind, it was answered above

8. eggzbacon

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    Lol didn't see this post.

9. deadweight

deadweight Well-Known Member

Luck.

The more and more I try to figure out how the top 20 apps got to where they are... and consistently stay there... the more I've decided luck plays way too much part in it all.

Once Apple opens the door to "every app is free to download, but you need to pay to make it actually work"... the worse it's going to get.

Honestly I don't know why I'm still developing for this platform. :confused:

10. mrWalrus

mrWalrus Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    designing games
    Venice, CA
    When you take things to 3D you automatically complex the matter for a great number of people. For a historical reference see Tetris vs 3D Tetris. Or to put it another way, simplicity is King.

Also, not everyone is entitled to have success on the App store. This attitude has to change.

11. PlayScreen

Jan 2, 2009
  12. PlayScreen

Jan 2, 2009
    No doubt. For nearly 30 years I heard bitching about how closed the game markets (Console and PC) were.

Now we have the best opportunity for independent gamers to build successful products since The Atari Program Exchange in 1982 ... and all I hear is whining.

This is an awesome opportunity and we have success (defined as PROFIT). I just want to have a number one title :)

13. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    Have a skin/mode version that is just flat and colored. No designs or rubik's cube look to it.

14. Comassion

Comassion Well-Known Member

May 23, 2009
    #14 Comassion, Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
    Picture 1: A simple (and simplistic) match game.

Picture 2: The borg appear on 'What not to wear'.

More seriously, just the name of 'Match 3D flick puzzle' makes it sound complex. The M3DFP screenshot does little to dissuade one of that notion. Line Up Pro's simpler screenshot is instantly understandable.

Price notes aside (no matter how good a match 3 is, people do want the dollar price), I think people may be finding your screenshots and concept a bit intimidating (and in my opinion, a bit gaudy, but Line Up doesn't do much better in that department).

Edit: My post took too long. I agree that 'simplicity' is a big factor in games of this sort.

I think your best bet is to leave Match 3D flick puzzle more or less as is (maybe change the color scheme), and proceed to develop your next game - 'Match Flick Puzzle'.

15. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    I actually completely overlooked Match 3D because it looked to complicated for a match 3 game. I'm going to give the lite version a try now and I'll tell you what I think. :)

16. eggzbacon

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    He nailed it

17. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    Yeah, after looking at the two listings just in itunes and trying to do so from a standpoint of only seeing it there, I have to say that the pictures posted on Line Up look very clean, colorful, and crisp. The app description is very short and easy to understand, ...and yeah it's 99 cents.

OTOH, screen 3 looks rather complicated...I would put a screen shot of the most basic of directions here...I've played flick puzzle, and lol I can't recall exactly what this screen does, and screen 4 has the slice at such an angle that I don't know if it is that "exciting" an example of the game.

Also, with the inclusion of the reviews and such, your app description is really long...it's not until over halfway you reveal any of the gameplay...it's a lot to read and digest.

Screenshots are really a hard way to convey how cool Match 3D is in motion...you could include a link to youtube video, but that might not help since it's not clickable within itunes.

18. mrWalrus

mrWalrus Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    designing games
    Venice, CA
    Not every game gets to number 1. Maybe you should develop another game.

If you're looking for a collaborative effort PM me. I have more ideas than I know what to do with.

19. PlayScreen

Jan 2, 2009
    These are really EXCELLENT suggestions and are in line with our thinking.

OK, so here's an idea I'd like to throw out there:

Have AUTOMATIC NAVIGATION be the the default mode of Match 3D. The game would show you a face of the cube that has potential matches. If you run out of matches the game would automatically navigate you to the next face that had matches. Spin the cube, go thru the planes ... all automatic.

This would be a setting in the game you could change, of course.

I'm also interested in NAME SUGGESTIONS. What should we call it?

20. PlayScreen

Jan 2, 2009
    We have a whimsical game in development. Not a puzzle game.

Of course we will have more to say as that develops.