Arcane Clash - new TCG/CCG by ByteGlow

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ByteGlow, Mar 5, 2010.

1. ByteGlow

ByteGlow Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Independent Developer
    Norway
    #1 ByteGlow, Mar 5, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
    Hello Touch Arcade!

We've been working on a TCG/CCG for the iPhone and iPod Touch for quite a while now, and it's time to show it to some new people. We thought we'd do this by inviting some players into a closed beta for the game.

If you're interested in helping us test, please fill out the form here:
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dE1QNHptMmRQbnhveHA5UmgzMzUyQXc6MA

If chosen, you will be contacted by email. We are looking to invite quite a few people, and have plenty of slots left.

Here's some of our card art:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All graphics and GUI-elements (except the card art) are currently temporary placeholders - made by programmers - not graphic artists :)

That said, here's an in-game screenshot of a game in progress:
    [​IMG]

The game is inspired by great games like Magic: The Gathering, and people who are familiar with TCGs should have no trouble learning how to play Arcane Clash. We will of course also cater to players new to the genre with friendly tutorials, but they will probably still face a slightly steeper learning curve.

We are launching with 100+ different cards in the first version of the game, and we will have both online multiplayer, as well as offline play versus the AI.
    The game will of course have fully featured deckbuilding.
    Here's a screenshot of the current deck editor (proper GUI/graphics pending):
    [​IMG]

And here's our current card browser, with an example of a card in full size with its effect description:
    [​IMG]

The first phase of the beta will primarily focus on multiplayer testing and game/card balance. While the game also works great over cellular networks, and doesn't send a lot of data during play, we assume most people would still rather play via WiFi. While this build of the beta does include a single player mode, testing this part of the game will be focused on more in a later phase. Thus, if you're more interested in testing the single player part of the game, please indicate so in the application.

We will keep this thread updated, but feel free to join our recently launched public forums at http://www.byteglow.com/forum/ as well.

You can also contact us by email at info[at]byteglow[dot]com, or send us a PM here on this forum.

Thanks for your interest!

2. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    #2 mattll, Mar 5, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
    does this game has a story
    or is all about fighting

send the beta form

3. nulo

nulo Well-Known Member

aaaaa great times when i played mtg. hope this is just as fun.
    will be great to be able to play without having to take your 60 card deck around =)
    nice card art's btw.

4. ByteGlow

ByteGlow Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Independent Developer
    Norway
    The game will have both CPU/AI duels, as well as a story mode. We don't have details about the length of the story mode yet, but will be announcing more about it once we have more to tell.
    As you can see from the backgrounds though, each card is in a given theme (forest, winter etc), which ties directly into the story mode.

5. Mudkipz223

Mudkipz223 Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Atlantis
    Application sent

6. ByteGlow

ByteGlow Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Independent Developer
    Norway
    I just added a new screenshot of the card browser and new card art to the original post that might be of interest.

There's also plenty of beta slots left :)

7. fallenashes

fallenashes Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    yes
    Application sent, as I said in that, I might not be able to test until Thursday

8. RankoSao

RankoSao Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    hope this is more strategic than Moonga..

9. ByteGlow

ByteGlow Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Independent Developer
    Norway
    Hi,

Yes, there's plenty of strategy in this game :)

You can fully customize your deck, with 100+ cards to choose from.

There's also three types of cards; Creatures, enchantments and spells, each with different effects that trigger under different conditions.
    Effects on spell cards resolve as soon as the card is played, while cards that stay in play can trigger for example when a creature attacks, your turn ends, or a player takes damage.

We also have a dynamic mana system that has you make a choice whether to spend all your remaining mana this round - or save some of it - in order to be able to afford a more expensive card the next round.

10. Mudkipz223

Mudkipz223 Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Atlantis
    I got the beta build today...and it's a great game, I can say it is much more strategic and fun than moonga and the deck building aspect adds some more depth along with the multiplayer.

11. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    i got the built too and it is a really good game

12. Sile

Sile Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Hoping to get an email back for beta testing. This game looks tops! Just what we need on the iPhone, a solid TCG.

13. Sile

Sile Member

Mar 10, 2010
    For anyone interested in TCG's.. this one will def be one to watch out for!

14. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Awesome - been looking for a good TCG/CCG, and this looks like it could fit the bill, with one exception - that snowman! lol, that's just silly.

15. ByteGlow

ByteGlow Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Independent Developer
    Norway
    Don't worry, the snowman isn't representative of the style and theme - it's just a funny random easter egg to mix things up :)

16. Sile

Sile Member

Mar 10, 2010
    There's definitely room for a Snowman in this game.. as long as he's angry! :cool:

17. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    heh heh, ok, that's cool

18. dragonfire256

dragonfire256 Member

May 9, 2010
    I sent the info for beta testing... I'll like more info about the game... And i hope that you'll think in "free players" like me... I don't have money to expent in booster pack... And you have a release date???

19. AnAdolt

AnAdolt Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Canada
    I'm just one of the beta-testers for Arcane Clash but I think I can offer some info that may sate some of your curiosity.

The game's initial release will come with about 100 cards. There's 110 in the works right now but that number will fluctuate. Likely, there won't be any booster packs with version 1.00 but development has them in mind and if the game is successful enough, you'll definitely see more cards and "booster packs" being available.

I believe most of the cards you'll obtain by "grinding" and doing quests in the game's story mode and dueling the computer.

As for a release date, that's probably not going to be anytime soon. The core rules of the game--while taking MTG as an inspiration--is not exactly the same so alot of work is going into balancing of the cards. I think we're going to have a new beta build in the coming days but for the release of the game, it's safe to say that's not in the coming days or weeks.

With that said, the game is much in development so any opinions you'd like to offer will certain be taken into consideration and can very well shape how it'll be when released.

20. Rblacula

Rblacula Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Just sent my info! Hope I'm not too late!