iPad Backup?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Mene, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Hi,

I've read on here about people backing up their iPad games to a USB external drive. I would like to do that but can't find out what the process is.

Could someone please tell me how I backup my games from my non jailbroken iPad to a USB drive. (Mods note: I'm only talking about backing up the legit games I have bought. I am not doing piracy, that does not interest me)

Thank you.

2. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    Use a program like iTools or something similar. It works great I backup all my important game saves using it.

3. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    iTools? Okay I'll look for that, thanks. Hope it comes with good instructions though, I have no idea which files to backup or where they are.

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Also make sure you backup on iTunes. It's amazing how many people don't and then can't download apps in the future once they're off the App Store

5. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Agreed.

I back up my iPad several times a week, usually at least once a day, along with the save files and apps on a USB stick once a month or so.

6. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    It's pretty straightforward you just chose which app you want and click backup, then you can choose where to save it to.

7. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    I have to admit I don't do that, the last time I tried was on my ipad2 about 10-11 months ago. It had been going over 2 hrs and still the progress bar was about 15% so I pulled it and have never tried since.

8. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Could you leave it connected overnight and it should be finished before the morning maybe? I find doing it regular, it takes a few minutes unless I've purchased a lot then it can take ten to fifteen minutes, I usually set it off when I. Having a bath or shower etc.

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Mines quite slow as i've changed the directory so it backs up all my apps directly onto my dropbox folder. After a hard drive crash (and external hard drive crash) its cloud backup all the way

Also its great when an app isnt on the app store anymore as i can load up the version i had (and also for those hidden emulator apps)

But yeah its totally crazy when you hear stories of people losing tons of stuff and never having backed it up !

10. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    Hi,

I tried to do a standard iTunes backup today but after leaving it almost 4.5 hrs it wasn't close to finished.

So I downloaded that iTools and tried doing manual backups.

I found if I picked a game and selected 'backup' it backs the file up.
    But if I pick a game and select 'backup file and documents' I always get a 'backup failed' error.. :(

Correct me if I'm wrong but I assumed backup backed up the game and backup with documents backs up the game and the saved game data? Which is what I need.. No idea why it's not working.