Legit or not?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Mene, May 30, 2014.

1. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Hi,

I find myself in a bad financial state right now and I simply don't have any money for new games. (No.. I'm not begging or asking for aid)

I just found a site called 'appnana' where you download free junk and they give you 'nanas' for doing it and you can trade in your 'nanas' for a £10 App Store credit.

Before I start downloading a heap of trash apps to try and get enough for a game I want, I'm wondering.. Is this all legit?

Is it okay or is it a scam?

Anyone used it and actually got something from it?
    (I would normally avoid places like this site, but desperate times...)

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    When i first got into iOS i tried out something similar. On paper it sounded great, download apps and stuff to earn 'points' which i could cash in for apps.

But i found it quite frustrating installing so much crap, often you wouldnt always get tons of points and then the app you want to 'buy' anyway is 99c so i gave up in the end. Too much effort for apps which were a dollar or two (and this was in hard times as well)

Looking at a screenshot on their website, a 99c game seems to be 30,000 nanas !

Installing a free crappy app gives you around 1700 nanas. So you have to install about 17 or so apps just to get one 99c app !

Its probably better to offer to cut a neighbours lawn and earn a few dollars than it is to install 17+ apps just for 99c !

I would avoid the ones where you get more 'nanas' such as one of the pictures which says 'Qello - Concerts & music' - submit a valid credit card for the 7 day trial (or something) for 3500 nanas. I wouldnt put credit card details into anything like this.

Even when times are hard you would have to install a ton of crappy apps just to get a dollar or two in apps, must be better ways of doing that.

3. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    Thanks for that, I'll avoid it then.

I'm disabled so cutting the neighbours grass is not an option haha, but thanks anyway, I'll just have to be happy with the games I already own :)

4. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I've heard of these type of sites but don't know anyone who's actually used them, not much use I know.

I think I'd not bother to be honest and revisit some older titles until things picked up.

5. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Do you have anything you could sell on ebay to raise a little extra cash, every now and then I'll have a purge of DVDs and games, I'll use the cheapest postage option to keep costs down. E

Are you any good with a PC? You could put a card in a local shop and offer to type up cvs, or letters or essays etc for a few quid.

Hope things pick for you soon though.

6. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    Yeah I probably have some things I could sell, I don't have an eBay account though, was told a long time ago not to use it as it's a bit dodgy, so I avoided it.

Thanks, I might look into it.

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Oops apologies.

Years back i did a few odd job type of things, i put a card in the local shop for computer setup/remove ad-aware/viruses etc and quite a few people took me up on it. It was mostly pensioners who dont know about ad-aware stuff etc, did a few jobs, wasnt bad.

Ebays a good option, in England we have places like 'music magpie' which give you about 30p a cd (which isnt good at all) but on the other hand if you cant sell it anyway (if i cant sell it on ebay i use Music Magpie) its a good service to use.

I used to have so many dvds i never used to watch (more than once) so sold all of those. If i want to watch the film again i could just rent it from itunes etc. Just some ideas

8. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    I've used one (and still do) called Tremor Games. It's mostly doing tasks for points to spend on PC games but they also have a gift codes rewards section with Amazon cards that you could buy itunes with. As mentioned, they do have issues where rewards don't credit and some dodgy offers you should avoid (basically anything asking for credit details) but it's been worth doing for me at least.

It can get incredibly frustrating, depressing and time-consuming so it's only worth doing as a last resort but I've made enough just from quickly installing free apps to get about £30 of Amazon rewards and it really didn't take that much. I ended up ignoring all surveys and tasks as they required more work than they were worth or didn't credit properly. You can also trade in items from your Steam account if you have one.

It's definitely not for everyone though, I personally don't recommend it but I know what it's like both with disability and not always having the monetary capacity to get everything you want! :)

9. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    Thanks, I'll give that a try :)

10. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

I've used FreeMyApps a few times. You get points for downloading games; 3,000 points for a $10 iTunes code. Takes a while (like a week or two sometimes), but it's pretty painless, doesn't ask for credit info or anything like that.

11. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Mene, I don't have any words of advice regarding your question, but just wanted to reach out and say that I hope things get better for you soon. Keep hanging in there!