Quell is FREE! [FAAD] (2.99 > FREE)

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by AnarKitty, Aug 27, 2011.

1. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA

Quell+

Fallen Tree Games Ltd
    ***** Thanks to the 4 million+ players who’ve already fallen in love with Quell, Quell Reflect, and Quell Memento, and h…
    $1.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    ***** Thanks to the 4 million+ players who’ve already fallen in love with Quell, Quell Reflect, and Quell Memento, and helped us to No 1 in several countries! ***** Quell is an enchanting game of logic which has taken the puzzle world by storm. Don’t take our word for it! Read our user reviews (thanks guys!), and see for yourself! "Quell. Is. Perfect" - No Dpad "Woozily hypnotic" – Eurogamer "Gaming App of the Day" – Kotaku "Beautifully relaxing" – AppSpy "Calming zen-like atmosphere" – Gamezebo "Absolute joy to play" - Pocket Full of Apps "Incredibly polished. Extra fun. Constantly amazes" – iPhoneAlley "Seems to lower blood pressure instead of raising it" – BestKidsApps * Over 80 levels of cunningly crafted puzzles – requires lateral thinking! * Perfectly balanced difficulty curve – soothing, not frustrating! * iCloud integration / Universal app – Sync on all your iOS devices! * HD and Retina support – beautiful hand-painted art! * GameCenter Achievements and Leaderboards – Challenge your friends! * Custom soundtrack by top composer Steven Cravis – Calming music helps the brain! * Localized for English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Polish, Portuguese, Chinese, Korean, Taiwanese, and Japanese. * Requires iOS 6.0 or higher. Fall in love with Quell today...
    Information
    Seller:Fallen Tree Games Ltd
    Genre:Family, Puzzle, Arcade, Strategy
    Release:Aug 07, 2010
    Updated:Jan 24, 2020
    Version:1.90
    Size:70.9 MB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating: (12)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

Highly-rated puzzle game with a calm demeanor; first time free in a year. :)

2. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    One of the best puzzlers on the app store, and universal! The serene setting works beautifully.

3. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Everyone enjoying Quell should take a look at Quell Reflect, featuring 80+ new levels!

Quell Reflect+

Fallen Tree Games Ltd
    ***** Thanks to the 4 million+ players who’ve already fallen in love with Quell, Quell Reflect, and Quell Memento, and h…
    $2.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    ***** Thanks to the 4 million+ players who’ve already fallen in love with Quell, Quell Reflect, and Quell Memento, and helped us to No 1 in several countries! ***** Quell Reflect is an enchanting game of logic which has taken the puzzle world by storm. Don’t take our word for it! Read our user reviews (thanks guys!), and see for yourself! "Quell. Is. Perfect" - No Dpad "Woozily hypnotic" – Eurogamer "Gaming App of the Day" – Kotaku "Beautifully relaxing" – AppSpy "Calming zen-like atmosphere" – Gamezebo "Absolute joy to play" - Pocket Full of Apps "Incredibly polished. Extra fun. Constantly amazes" – iPhoneAlley "Seems to lower blood pressure instead of raising it" – BestKidsApps * Over 80 levels of cunningly crafted puzzles – requires lateral thinking! * Perfectly balanced difficulty curve – soothing, not frustrating! * iCloud integration / Universal app – Sync on all your iOS devices! * HD and Retina support – beautiful hand-painted art! * GameCenter Achievements and Leaderboards – Challenge your friends! * Custom soundtrack by top composer Steven Cravis – Calming music helps the brain! * Localized for English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Polish, Portuguese, Chinese, Korean, Taiwanese, and Japanese. Fall in love with Quell Reflect today...
    Information
    Seller:Fallen Tree Games Ltd
    Genre:Family, Puzzle, Strategy
    Release:Aug 19, 2011
    Updated:Jan 24, 2020
    Version:1.91
    Size:73.9 MB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating: (1)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

4. Filing Cabinet

Filing Cabinet Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2011
    not bad.

slightly depressing though :p

5. fallentreegames

fallentreegames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Mar 14, 2010
    Game Developers!
    UK
    A lot of people have asked us about the Quell music. We're delighted to announce that our composer, Steven Cravis is offering the original the entire original score for FREE download. To get the tracks, click here!

Hope you're enjoying Quell Reflect and, for those of you who've never experienced a Quell game, check out the original Quell - it's now completely FREE!

Man, we're good to you... :)

6. Prhaber

Prhaber Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    I'd never heard of this game until it was announced as free yesterday - not sure how I missed it as it is absolutely fantastic. Love the gameplay, atmosphere and music. But could I ask the developers - what do the years signify (1928-1946 I think it is). It feels like there's a story behind the game but it doesn't seem to be elaborated on - it just feels very enigmatic and mysterious. And each level being a view looking out of a window pane in a different year - and the raindrops falling down each pane. Gives the game a very sad and wistful feel which is quite unique. But what does it mean?

7. fallentreegames

Patreon Gold

Mar 14, 2010
    Game Developers!
    UK
    Hi Prhaber,

thanks for your kind words.

We did have an entire narrative worked out, and we in the process of having it finalised by a script-writer, but we decided that somehow the game worked better without having a heavy-handed story forced on the player.

We'll probably show it as some stage, just for fun, but I'd be interested to know what you and other players thought it might be about? You're right that the years all feature, as do all the components in the gameplay, as do many parts of the front end. In fact, the entire art style itself was intended to supplement the story, so it's ironic that we ended up ditching the script!

Tell you what - I'll offer up a couple of free Promo codes for Quell Reflect, to the person / people who guess the closest (told you I'm kind!). Submit your entries to this thread...

8. Andrey1610

Andrey1610 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    fallentreegames, i'm ready. what i need to guess :) ?

9. fallentreegames

Patreon Gold

Mar 14, 2010
    Game Developers!
    UK
    Well, I want you to tell me you think the backstory to Quell might have been about.

10. speed4mee

speed4mee Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    I think, it's a story for a whole year, each month has a little story and a different stage. :)

11. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    I think it's about a man sitting at a rainy window reminiscing about his life as it went by the decades.

12. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Having not completed the majority of the stages, I believe the story follows a landscape painter who works from home and lives on the land. His paintings go from hopeful and cheery to more sad and disillusioned as World War 2 breaks out and the world becomes a grim and dangerous place to live. After the war ends, once again his outlook is brightened and his paintings show the everlasting beauty of nature.

All the while, as humans destroy each other, the Earth continues on and nature's beauty exists in spite of our destructive tendancies and will outlast us all.

13. Andrey1610

Andrey1610 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    I think, beautiful girl was drive to village (to grandma) and found old library with pictures and books. Tragic music and rain tells about unhappy destiny previous owner of this house. Girl need to solve all puzles for find more info about owners of this house

14. Prhaber

Prhaber Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    #14 Prhaber, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
    I think Quell is about memories mainly - looking back possibly at a relationship between 1928 and 1946. Each year is split into 3 sections which each have 4 levels - which makes 12 levels for every year. That makes me think that each level represents a month in this person's life. I think the person in question is a man (judging by the hat and coat in the background) and I think he is an artist, judging by the easel - a landscape artist, who has created all the backgrounds you see through the windows in the levels.

Would love to know if this is close or way off the mark!

15. ClockworkSpider

Aug 29, 2011
    I gave this game a download and I have to congratulate you on a great piece of app gaming. I will definitely give your sequel a look once I dust off all the levels on this game.

16. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I don't think it's necessarily sad - just a vibe in the atmosphere.

Since you play a raindrop, I got the feel that the story isn't even about you. It's happening in the background and around it, while you're there doing your thing.

As for what the story is about...
    I'm only up to the 1941 shelf (taking it slow and only moving on when I get the minimum moves) but what I can see so far, it seems to me like it's about traveling and time passing.
    You can see seasons and scenery change, but I don't want to mix it into a story myself - I like it the way it is.

17. Ghouls'R'us

Ghouls'R'us Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2011
    What I can confidently say is that there is a sense of time passing by, year after year. The water droplet and level selection give a slightly melancholic feel and a feeling of nostalgia and perhaps loss. Mortality might be a logical extension of that. Kind of like the movie "Up" by Pixar.

18. GoneFishin

GoneFishin Well-Known Member

May 16, 2011
    As in any puzzle those who do best are able to 'see' the solution in their mind's eye. The clearest vision, of course, is 20-20. I just love the coincidence that the digits in the year 1928 and 1946 each add up to 20. :D

19. puremath

puremath New Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Two More Twenties

While 1928 and 1946 are the first and last years of Quell, the digits of 1937 also add up to 20. And 1964, a year in Quell: Reflect, has digits that add up to 20.

While you made some interesting observations, the coincidence is less striking with some "reflection":

Of all 100 possible years in the 1900s, nine of them have digits that add up to 20 (with a probability of nine percent). Of all 10 possible years in any of the Quell decades, there is a 10% chance that a year's digits add up to 20.

Also, visual acuity can be better than 20/20. But, of course, hindsight is plenty plenty.

20. fallentreegames

Patreon Gold

Mar 14, 2010
    Game Developers!
    UK
    Love it.

The letters of ‘Quell’ are either an abbreviation of a relative direction (‘L’ for left and ‘U’ for up) or one letter away from an abbreviated relative direction (‘E’ and ‘Q’ are respectively one letter away from ‘D’ for down and ‘R’ for right).

Also, its letters are either an abbreviation of a cardinal direction (‘E’ for east) or two letters before an abbreviated cardinal direction (‘L’, ‘Q’ and ‘U’ are respectively two letters before ‘N’ for north, ‘S’ for south, and ‘W’ for west.

[Thanks to Barron for this insight].