Review - Nano Fighter

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by dogmeat, May 27, 2009.

1. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    #1 dogmeat, May 27, 2009
    Last edited: May 27, 2009
    Nano Fighter - $0.99 BUY NOW

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

So this all started with me saying I wanted a PowerUP Forever type game on the iPhone. Turns out Nano Fighter was just released so I decided to give it a shot. The game is a hybrid between Powerup Forever and Geometry Wars. I played the first 11 levels before I got nabbed by a large creepy crawly but the journey there was absolutely awesome. I'll detail the reasons why this game is getting such a high score below.

Graphics

From the second the title screen "locks down" with the menu and logo you kind of wonder what you're getting into here. The menu is simple, no options, simply play, local/online hi-scores and instructions. Hitting any of the scoring features takes you to the screenshots attached above, when you hit play though, it takes you to a level briefing screen saying which types of enemies you will encounter and displaying what the upgrades look like.

Your little ship flies in from the side of the screen and the heads up display fires up letting you know to get ready for some action. The graphics are very slick. For such a seemingly dark game, the developer managed to display plenty of light effects, everything the player does, does to an enemy or an enemy does to the player is brilliantly lit up with crisp graphics that leave you wanting to blow more stuff up.

Not only are the graphics crisp, they're fast and you absolutely can't resist flying your ship around the screen, dodging enemies, blowing them up, just to see the fireworks show. One thing I really found slick was actually an interface element, the thumb controls. When the game first loads up, they're represented as two small circles, the second you place a finger on one of them, they "PUMP" up, and this is so satisfying it feels like the controls are saying back to the player "LOCK AND LOAD".

The player, enemies, fire, powerups, etc.. are all consistently done in a slightly better style than geometry wars and are very easy to see making dodging a game of lightning reflexes which is absolutely crucial in a game like this.

Sound

When I first fired the game up I turned the sound all the way up as well and I am glad that I did. When the title screen locks down you hear a sound that also locks down and sets a good feel for the game to start. Once you're playing the game theres a nice soundtrack that sits in the background, like it should in a game, instead of overwhelming the foreground and distracting the player. The sound effects in game are very satisfying sounding, leaving you wanting to "hit" more enemies, to hear the chain reactions from your onslought of fire. This combined with the graphics creates a great arcade experience.

Handling

Now for the best part :) My hats off to the developer for the handling in this game. I was able to load the game up, press play, land my thumbs on those awesome thumb landing pads and just have at it. Left thumb controls movement, right thumb controls fire and I personally had no issue with the sensitivity of these or otherwise. As far as translating what your fingers are doing to whats going on in the game, its obvious the developer has spent some time fine tuning these controls because the dodging in between hordes of enemies is absolutely possible due to the fine tuning.

I also want to mention I hadn't noticed the big bomb button on the middle of the screen until I wanted to hit a pause button ( which is actually the menu button at the top right ) but found out it was a bomb that not only slowed down time but blew everything up on the screen with a magnificent shockwave of absolute destruction!

Another great feature of mention is the ability to "warp" to a level that you've waypointed before. I don't know how waypoints are determined, but I was able to go back to levels 3, 5 and 11, which was awesome!

Fun

One word, arcade. This game has absolute arcade appeal. Not only does it have the online scoring for competitive play, the gameplay itself is reminiscent of an older generation of games long gone. The replay value on this game is excellent, I've noticed the current leader of the hi-score board managed to get to level 50 something, who knows how many levels there are. I review quite a few games, but this is one of the only ones that I am definitely going to be playing for a long time and I'm totally glad I got it.

The excitement you feel while playing the game definitely gives you that "weeee" feeling while you're playing and narrowly avoiding those close calls.

Price

I really don't think that I need say more, at the time of this reviews writing the game is 99 cents and that's the lowest you can go. I'd easily pay 2.99 or 3.99 for this game if it had better marketing that talked about all of its awesome features, hint hint, dev :)

So yeah, great game, highly recommend it, what are you waiting for, go get it now!

[hqyoutube]VutNiDWXz6U[/hqyoutube]

2. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Great review. The slo-mo bombs are the best part =)

3. iFonePhanatic

iFonePhanatic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Student
    USA
  4. dogmeat

Apr 6, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
  5. eve444

eve444 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    i couldn't agree more with the ratings!
    those worm things scared the hell out of me at first lol :)

6. PDJApps

PDJApps Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Thank you for taking the time to write this review!
    I'm so glad you enjoyed the game :)

Pavel

7. eve444

eve444 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    very well thought out review by the way :)

8. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

Good review
    Bad posting should be in the nano thread

9. dogmeat

Apr 6, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    sorry, i took the time to write it so naturally I want lots of people to read and enjoy it. It's easier to find on page one of this thread, than it is on page 13 of the other thread.

10. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Um... if you post to the other thread it gets bumped to the front page...

11. eve444

eve444 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    i think what he meant to say is that he wanted his review to be on the first page of a thread.. and not on the last page on the nanofighter thread because nanofighter is on page 1 anyway...

12. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Even then, that thread only has 5 pages. Just cause someone wants more visibility for their review doesn't mean they need to start a thread.

Imagine a hundred Zenonia Review threads, each with their own discussions. It would be insanity.

13. eliotness

eliotness Active Member

May 25, 2009
    first of all - this review is really well written, congratulations!
    second - no need to start another thread. just like vegant said... image that every member wants to write a BIG review of this one, zenonia, or any other game, and starts a special thread for it...

you know what i mean?

14. eve444

eve444 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    this is true... eventhough they already have at least five threads for zenonia... whereas nanofighter only has two...
    still.. nanofighter rocks :)

15. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    #15 dudehuge, May 27, 2009
    Last edited: May 27, 2009
    It's not a problem that he made a new thread. It's certainly better than all of the "Top X Lists" that's being created on this site daily. It's also a well-written review. Goodjob dog.

16. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    I think its fine he made a new thread. It's well written, and pretty long.

17. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I don't have issue with the content of the review, I think it's well done.

What I have issue with is

The other thread only had 5 pages when this was posted and was already on the front page. So a new thread was started just so more people look at it. Even though the content is well written it still feels like when people post things to the games forum and say "I know this isn't where this thread should be but I wanted people to read it". Even though I know that isn't the original intention of the post.

P.S. None of this applies to BigAlbie, mrbass, or GatorDEB. They can post anywhere they like, haha ;)

18. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Hey dog, great review! I've been trying to be more discerning with which games I've been buying lately, even awesome looking shooters that are only a buck. I just have SO many games, I'm sick of not playing a lot of them. So that's why I've passed on this game a few times, but this review makes this game sound really fun. I'm gonna go pick it up now, thanks! PDJApps, send Dogmeat a cut! :p

19. PDJApps

PDJApps Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Looking forward to seeing you on the high score lists ;)

(Thanks DogMeat)

Pavel

20. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    I agree with your stance re: creation of new thread but why the double standard. I get Albie's and there should be more focus on his first impressions since he's an official TA staff. Even Albie does NOT creat his OWN threads.

I don't have problems with Mr Bass or Deb. I like them both. I still think rules are rules.