I need help with my ICON

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by 4dfrog, Apr 29, 2011.

1. 4dfrog

4dfrog Active Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Game/Toy Designer
    USA
    #1 4dfrog, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: May 18, 2011
    Hi All,

This is the icon for my game, GEL MANIA, and I'm changing it's category to ARCADE and ACTION, since this is a CHALLENGING CASUAL GAME for all ages.(But Super Simple to learn)

So, #7 was my original one, which was more toward the kids, and now I want to market it more for all ages. Please if you got some time, just let me know in your opinion, which one would be more suitable for ALL AGES?

I like # 1 or # 4 myself.
    Thanks,

Also, here are the new designs based on your helps! So, still need help. Thanks.

I like #10 from the new ones,

Attached Files:

2. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    I definitely do not like the top three. To much going on for an icon. 5 is my favorite if you put a face on the big blob. 6 would also look very nice if it had one more color. 9 might be the best if the white was filled in with a color not already seen in the icon.

3. DrummerB

DrummerB Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Switzerland
    I agree with injuwarrior, the top 3 are too colorful with too many shapes and details. I think a combination of 5 and 6 would be the best.

4. dafalcon

dafalcon Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    Las Vegas, NV
    Icon design feedback

Of the options, I prefer number eight, though to be brutally honest I wouldn't give the app a second glance with any of those icons. The mix of cartoon graphics with what are apparently 3D renders is jarring.

I'd suggest simplifying and refining. Possibly focus on the red or purple angry face gel character.

5. MattLArnold

MattLArnold Member

May 1, 2011
    oCreator of Facerocker. Game designer / producer.
    Los Angeles
    I got to agree with the people here. I would suggest going back and rethinking the icon a bit. The first thing would be to simplify the "rendering" and color scheme. Too much going on in all those pictures.

Some simple suggestions.

1. Remove the little spikey ball. It looks like nothing, and is too small. Also just confusing.
    2. Your game is about color switching, and has some neat gel graphics. It has a cute main character and the spikey ball is the obstacle. Emphasize those things.

Big character on the icon, maybe one or two smaller color blobs to simply get across that this is a matching color game of sorts. Frame that all in a big explosion which will get across the "spikey bomb" element while making the icon feel dynamic and action packed rather than just colored bombs.

6. Charybdis

Charybdis Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Programmer
    Kyoto, Japan
    I think you are under the impression that having a cartoony face on the icon will turn adults away. I think you are wrong.
    Just look at games such as angry birds. In general, the more 'character' you add, the better.
    I personally like numbers 6 and 8

7. blitter

blitter Well-Known Member

6 and 8 were also popular choices here (various ages looked).

8. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    I'd choose 8. It has the best focus on elements and not too much stuff happening at once, as well as nice color choices.
    All the other icons are way too busy, lack focus or don't convey with the game title, for my taste.
    I think you'd do well with 8 with some slight modifications.
    6 looks nice compositionwise but I don't like the ton of black color on it. Maybe get best of both worlds ^^
    But I agree that spikey ball isn't fitting or doing any favor to the icon at all :/

9. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

No offense but I think they're all way too busy. As someone with no knowledge of the game they just looks like a random collection of colors with no focus. I think you should probably rethink this and chose a single blob/element to focus on. :)

10. Hercule

Hercule Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
  11. 4dfrog

4dfrog Active Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Game/Toy Designer
    USA
    Thank you ALL

Thank you all for your helps. I was not able to check the forum on weekend, just got back to the computer. I'll work on them more and will send more stuff.

12. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    I wouldn't go with any of the first three. The fourth could work, and possibly something from the last row.

Consider how jumbled the images look when shrunk and mixed with other icons. Which one will truly stand out...

13. 4dfrog

4dfrog Active Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Game/Toy Designer
    USA
    #13 4dfrog, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011
    Hi All,

Based on your suggestion, and the subject of my game, (COLOR CHANGING and SPEED), I made some more icons. Still need your help.
    Also, this time I added border for all my new icons.

I Like #10.

My whole goal is to make the icon appealing for ALL AGES. Both male and female.

Attached Files:

14. DrummerB

DrummerB Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Switzerland
    I think they are all better then the previous ones. I like 10 too, any maybe 12 if it had a more colorful background instead of only gray (blue maybe, or like in 15). 18 isn't bad either, the big red face might catch some attention, but I don't think green and red go well together.

15. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    Yus, 10 and 12 for me too. Really a great improvement !
    Think my favorite is 10 :)

16. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Definitely an improvement, still think quite a few of them are too busy, but 12 & 18 get my stamp of approval. ;) How about a version of 12 where the blob is moved to the right-hand side of the icon instead? (You might need to flip the character). Anyone used to reading from left to right will automatically move their eye to the lower right, you might want to consider this when it comes to placing the elements...

17. mochibits

mochibits Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2011
    I like #10, but I would stagger the blobs imo.

Suggestion:
    If you could use the entire icon space to just be one blob with eyes and no edge border with shading to make it look like it was coming off the page, that would be awesome!

18. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    Much better this time around. I too like 10 and 15. Not sure how much time you want to put into this, but could you try 10 or 15 with a green background? I think that might be perfect.

19. kakburk

kakburk Active Member

Mar 16, 2011
    stockholm
    I like #18, look angry enough to dominate the screen :)

20. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    I'd say #18!

Stands out quite a bit.