iTGB vs. Unity3D

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Mew2468, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    I'm thinking of developing a simple platformer game. Really simple; 2D. Which path should I go: Unity or iTorque Game Builder? I don't know very much about game development and coding, so basically which one is simpler?

2. lithiastudios

lithiastudios Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2009
    If you're looking for simplicity and 2D, I think Cocos2D might be a good way to go.

http://code.google.com/p/cocos2d-iphone/

there are plenty of examples included that you can work off of.

3. allenp

allenp Member

Mar 8, 2009
    Information Architecture
    Hanover, NH
    You're going to have a lot of learning to do no matter which way you go - but there is an Unity3d demo on their site that you can download and try it out for yourself. I am using cocos2d and will second the recommendation for it (though it is a pure code situation without a gui for building your game).

4. codepunk

codepunk Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    cocos2d

I second or third that motion cocos2d is the way to go for 2d. I use unity and it is really hard to beat for 3d, but if I am working a 2d game cocos2d would be what I use.

5. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    Keep in mind, Unity3D is made for 3D games, not 2D.

6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

It's Unity, not Unity3D. Zombieville USA was made with Unity, so 2D definitely isn't out of the question, but somebody not familiar with game dev will take a while to get up to speed, especially since you still need to be familiar with 3D production in order to do 2D.

--Eric

7. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    I can vouch for Unity in general terms as a great engine. I've never used it for 2D myself, but have seen it done many times with great results.

(In my case, 3D was so easy in Unity that I tried my 2D concept in 3D just for the heck of it--and it was awesome, so my formerly-2D game is staying in 3D!)

8. buxman

buxman Active Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Sweden
    I have only tried Unity a bit and that was not recently but from what I saw is that Unity seams rather friendly for people that isn't that into coding. But it still requires coding to make a game of course.

TGB is great if you've done anything with TGE or TGAE before and the community is really helpful.

But this question is all about personal preference.
    Try em out, both have demo versions available and see which one you like the most :)

9. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    Great clarification. What I meant to say was Unity is 'geared' towards 3D. I know several people developing with Unity, but they all do 3D and the thought of doing a 2D game in Unity has never really come up, except in the sense that it's doable. Granted, portions of their games (high scores, life left, loading screens etc.) are in 2D.

I am an owner of TGB (not iTGB) and know many others who use it. I highly recommend downloading the 30 day TGB demo and checking it out. Seeing if it will meet your needs. Do you already have an idea of the type of game you want to make? I have been hearing about memory issues with iTGB, so you might want to dig deeper into this and find out exactly what issues people are having. As you get the complete source code, I know one developer is trying to figure out the memory issues himself and make updates to the source code.

10. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Thanks for your opinions guys :). I'm going to try the demos and see which one I like better - they both sound good.

11. foppajoe

foppajoe Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009

that's cool! what game is it?

12. jkonkel29

jkonkel29 Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Quick Question?

Hey I'm starting to make a game. I started reading the apress books on coding (I'm brand new) but could I make a game completely in xcode or do I have to use some of the programs you mentioned?

13. you can definitely make whole games in xcode but an engine can simplify the process depending on what you are trying to make happen.

14. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    My game (somewhere in the arcade genre) will be ready to show off some time in May. (And will take much longer than that to complete.) Code name: Clockwork 360.

For now the level design is too experimental and would give people the wrong idea... but I'm having fun with it on my own iPhone at least :)

15. conrem

conrem Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2009
    developer + student at medicine
    Moldova
    #15 conrem, May 8, 2009
    Last edited: May 8, 2009
    you are wrong, Whether on an iPhone or an iPod Touch, you will be able to dazzle your audience with the finest content available in the App Store. 2D or 3D, touch or tilt — if you can think it, you will be able to build it.

16. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

:confused: In what way am I wrong? You haven't contradicted anything I said.

--Eric

17. conrem

conrem Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2009
    developer + student at medicine
    Moldova
    excuse me Eric5h5, i was talking to SSquared :)

18. mumbo

mumbo New Member

May 11, 2009
    #18 mumbo, May 11, 2009
    Last edited: May 11, 2009
    For what it's worth, I had never developed a game in my life before, nor used a 3D app to make models, and in the space of 3 weeks with Unity I made this: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=313110495&mt=8

The graphics are basic, but I'm getting better in my next project, but in any case, it is a 2D application that is really 3 dimensions, with the Z axis locked. My next project ( a spacies sort of game ) is also 2D. I used Cheetah 3D for the models, but that's still a battle for me, and it shows :( But heh, you gotta start somewhere!

In summary, I think that Unity3D works just fine for 2D games - once you get past the lack of tutorials, and as long as you keep the poly count down. The advantage of Unity is a great asset pipeline, the ability to code in javascript or C# (I chose C#), and the fact that it is 3D gives some nice on the side benefits as well (for example, turning objects around, storing them off screen, and little things like the 'finish crepe' action in this game which spins the crepe into the foreground, ie using the Z axis to fly towards the camera)