List of Card Battle Games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by doctor rickso, Oct 2, 2009.

1. doctor rickso

doctor rickso Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    NY USA
    Ive played Towerlandt, but id prefer a game where you can make your own deck... I only know of Orions & Soul Card Master, but havent tried either.

Can someone post a list of card battle games which allow you build a custom deck, along with a quick impression/recommendation... Also, single player mode is mainly how ill play, but online multiplayer definately a plus. Thanks!

2. joja15

joja15 New Member

Jun 22, 2009
  3. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    While I can't vouch for the game as I haven't played it yet, but Soul Card Master is really your best bet at this point (that is unless it sucks).

From what I've heard it sounds like a pretty simplified Yu-Gi-Oh, no clue if the AI is any good.

4. Drenguin

Drenguin Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Orions is absolutely incredible. Every game is always different, it is my doodle jump!

5. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    #5 Somerandomdude, Oct 3, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
    As nerdy as this may sound, I just want Yu-Gi-Oh on the appstore. Sure, the fad is completely dead it seems but I have always enjoyed the game. If it were completely separate from the show (Like Eternal Duelist Soul except for the character appearances) and had some online capabilities. That game would make a killing. Until then, I bought Orions and enjoyed it quite a bit. It's a fun game, but I have a hard time getting into the campaign mode and usually find myself just doing a quick free duel against the computer.

Btw, anyone around here still remember Duel Masters? That was a pretty fun game back when it was still popular. Too bad I was the only one I knew with any cards lol,

6. fenrir911

fenrir911 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2009
    #6 fenrir911, Oct 3, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
    Ahhh Yugioh... I won six tournaments when they allowed 2 raizas in a deck. My deck was all about returning cards to the top of your deck, and monarchs... so basicly i would destroy magic and trap with frost monarch, attack, next turn tribute for raiza, return another card on your side of the field to the top of deck, attack, tribute for caius remove a dark monster out of play on my side of the field so you would take 1000 dmg, attack... rince and repeat, beat everyone with this deck, along with 3 compulsories (return monarchs to my hand or return one of thiers to keep field open) and alot of magic destruction... It was fun. I also had 3 giant germs and nimble momongas (2 special summons = one for sacrifice), so that I could get more monsters from my deck... later I added synchos and tuners so that I could actually get some out... I added krebons and jutte fighter, and maurading captain so i could easily get a 7 star (black rose) or sacrifice for monarch then get an 8 star (stardust) or a 5 star with marauding and krebons.

7. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    StrongHold ?

8. Quorlan

Quorlan Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Designer
    Georgia
    Strongholds

Strongholds is a decent "card battler" in some regards. Overall it's a great turn-based strategy game and uses a card motif as the way to do things. However, the down side is that there is no customization and the cards you draw during game play are completely random.

Don't get me wrong, since figuring out Strongholds it's quickly risen to one of my most played games on the platform, however it is NOT a CCG and multiplayer is only available via Bluetooth (a mistake IMHO).

Q

9. If elementsthegame ever gets ported from flash since Adobe is gonna release that toolkit then I'd buy it for $10 easily. Like Quorlan mentions in this thread.

10. Bochu

Bochu Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2009
    #10 Bochu, Oct 21, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
    I like Strongholds. I'm just getting into it now and wonder why I never heard of it. I actually heard of it for the first time in this thread.

I played Orions for a while and had lots of fun. I got sick of it though because there just aren't enough cards and the deck is not what I prefer (you can have 50 of the same card with no consequences). Also, it got annoying constructing buildings. I'd have to click on every single castle area, go into them, then construct stuff. I'd rather I could do it all 50 times quicker. Plus multiplayer would've been nice.

Fantasy Adventures, from the video, looks very bad at this stage.

Why aren't the card games placed in the card game category? As far as I can see, they're in strategy.

Update: Soul Card Master is actually pretty fun. I've been playing it for a week now and enjoy it.

11. jamesmartyn

jamesmartyn New Member

Oct 21, 2009
    hi there...here are some battle card games....

Digimon World: Dawn and Dusk RPG Bandai Bandai [17]
    Digimon World DS RPG Bandai Bandai(Japan), Bandai Namco Games(US) [18] Doraemon: Nobita no Shin Makai Daibouken DS Card Game Sega Sega [22] Kousoku Card Battle: Card Hero Card battle RPG Intelligent Systems Nintendo [35] Mahjong Battle Club DS Wi-Fi Board Game Konami Konami [40] Pokémon Diamond and Pearl
    Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 2: Time and Darkness Exploration Team
    Yu-Gi-Oh! GX: Spirit Caller
    Yu-Gi-Oh! World Championship 2007
    Yu-Gi-Oh!: World Championship 2008

12. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I kind of think "for the iphone" is implied.

13. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Manga Triad!!!

14. Comassion

Comassion Well-Known Member

May 23, 2009

I agree with you - I liked Orions, but the building system really brought it down. That was way too much micromanagement to get to fun battles.

15. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    +1 ...did you pick it up? I like it..just can't stand to look at it, emailed the dev and wainting for a reply on the possibility for imports of photo library

16. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Nah I decided not to... the artwork is alright but the theme really isn't my thing, and with something as simple as a card game you need to enjoy what you're looking at.

17. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    I agree, not into manga but damn couldn't pass up on a triple triad clone.

18. Quorlan

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Designer
    Georgia
    Do you want more?

So I'm trying to figure out what folks like and what they don't when it comes to this type of game on this platform (iPhone/iTouch). Most people who've played it seem to enjoy Orions (yeah, I'm a fan too). Not being a Final Fantasy player, I'd never really seen Triple Triad, but when I did a little looking about on the interwebs, it turns out it's a pretty popular game, especially for one that was a mini-game inside another game. I'll probably have to try out Manga Triad, since Triple Triad sounds like a pretty interesting game.

Anyway, outside of Orions and Triple Triad clones, are there any other games on the iPhone of a similar style that you enjoy? Anything you'd like to see on the iPhone? What if you could build a game like this, what would you do? What would you include or leave out from other games or even physical, real-world games like Yu-Gi-Oh and M:tG? So, what do you dream of playing on your iPhone?

Q

19. So for those who played Manga Triad any review? Watching video on official site tells me nothing. No I haven't played Final Fantasy VIII so should I just look for a review for that and the mini game Triple Triad? Pretty much exactly the same?

20. Quorlan

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Designer
    Georgia
    Though I haven't played it, just the nature of triple triad means that all the clones and stuff will pretty much play the same. It's a number matching game at it's heart. That's not to say it's not highly strategic but it boils down to this:

Each card has 4 numbers on it and a picture. The picture is just something pretty to look at. The numbers are what matter. The numbers are layed out like this:

Each digit represents one side of the card. In this example the 4 is the top edge of the card, the 3 is the left edge, the 9 is the right and 2 is the bottom.

The game is played on a 3x3 grid. The idea is to play cards to the board in such a way that your numbers are higher than the numbers along the joining edges of adjacent cards. If you do this, you take the card (the cards change color to represent who controls them, usually red or blue). There are a few rules that dictate what happens in certain situations. The aim of the game is to have more cards under your control when all 9 spaces are filled than your opponent.

I'm sure that description doesn't really do it justice, but at the heart of it, it's a simple mechanic and the variety of different arrangements of the number on the cards makes for some thoughtful , strategic game play. Some would even say it's addicting.

There are places on the web where you can play various incarnations of Triple Triad so you can get a feel of the game before you decide if you want to buy it. Personally, I think it's fun but it's not something I'm going to play very often or for very long.

Q