Rechargeable Batteries

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Teknikal, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Fairly off topic for this forum but wondering if anyone uses any of the newer rechargeable standard type batteries available now like AA/AAA and what kind of life they get with them compared to normal alkalines.

I've noticed energiser and Duracell both have rechargable batteries and Chargers yet their rechargeable seem to have a lower mah then some others which in my mind at least would seem to make them worse.

Main devices I'll be using the batteries with are a high powered flashlight (3xAAA Nextorch) and some other less power hungry devices like my ereader cover light and a variety of remotes.

Really I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth investing in a charger and a few sets of rechargeables and if I do should I just skip the big brands and go for mah also would a charger like this be much better than the standard pre packaged ones by the big brands.

2. nic.

nic. Well-Known Member

May 25, 2009
    Malaysia
    Rechargeable batteries? I have no higher praise for both sanyo eneloop and maha powerex, both have high mAh version. 2500 mAh for eneloop and 2700 mAh for powerex respectively (AA size)... I use these for my battery operated flash guns and put them through their pace. I use them with confidence.

Sorry i'm not able to provide a link as i normally buy these on my local online store and not farmiliar with the states.

Best of luck :)

[EDIT]

They both have charger available to purchase too.

3. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    i discovered that rechargeable batteries work best for low to medium discharge/voltage devices (like tv remotes, or old radio) but are pretty bad for high voltage (especially useless for my laser pointer).

i think the main reason for this is that the non rechargeable batteries (alkaline?) are 1.5V while the nicd/nimh are 1.2V.

i have no clue in the field of electricity, though :)

4. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    #4 Teknikal, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
    That's interesting I read somewhere else that Sanyo eneloop were highly recommended unfortunately I've never actually seen them for sale here in the UK so I'll probably have to purchase them online.

I think I will splash out on that MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger it's probably overkill for what I need but I've just a got a mindset were I have to buy the best I can afford, also I'll pick up a few sets of Contour batteries until I can get some eneloop ones really only because they are the highest mah I can find in local stores.

Yeah that could definitely effect some high drain things, I think I'll probably be able to get away with the slight loss in voltage mainly because most of my devices use LED's which don't need a lot, I tend to value the mah rating more mainly because it's a good indicator of the lasting power, still I wonder why no company has ever made 1.5v rechargeables.

edit: Looks like I was wrong about no 1.5v rechargeables as I was just researching the voltages and I found a brand Powergenix that actually uses 1.6v per battery, I'm thinking that would be good for laser pointers or old style flashlights.

5. ancienit

ancienit New Member

Feb 25, 2012
    My flashlight is equipped with rechargeable battery. A very large 18650 3.7 battery. It seems not very high capacity.

6. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Sanyo Eneloops are definitely the way to go. Or really any of the "pre-charged" batteries. Those are best because they retain their charge for a long time. End result is you pick up your device and far less often find that the batteries are dead. They are *way* better than standard NiMH batteries.

7. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Surprised to see this thread pop up again after so long I've been using Accu recharge extreme Energisers for a few months now. I read the white topped precharged ones are rebadged eneloops so I bought them plus they were easy to find almost everywhere.

Have no complaints they work well in my LED flashlight, ereader lighted case etc and they keep a charge well also the charger works with any nimh so I can switch as needed.

Only downside is like most of the mainstream ones the charger only charges in pairs but I can live with that.