Castle Raid (single device multiplayer game) by Arcticmill

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by arcticmill, Jun 29, 2012.

1. arcticmill

arcticmill Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    #1 arcticmill, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
    UPDATE 2!
    Castle Raid will be released on the App Store tomorrow (18th of september)! So make sure you get it early and start practicing so you can crush all your friends ;)!

UPDATE!
    Castle Raid is now approved and the countdown has begun! We want to celebrate this occasion by giving you all some great news. First, we’ve added two more enemies which means more exciting challenges and a chance to really prove yourself. Second, we’ve created a few more battlefields which results in more adventure, variation, fun and fights. And to give you all a proper presentation here’s some screenshots and a fresh new gameplay video!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What's this then?

We're a small indie game studio from Stockholm, Sweden. For the past couple of months we've been working hard on our upcoming game, Castle Raid!

In Castle Raid you challenge your friends in intense battles, set in the medieval ages of knights, archers and magic. It's a single-device multiplayer strategy game where you control one side of the screen and your friend the other. If you don't have a friend nearby you can always try to defeat the computer opponents.

Gather resources to crush your opponent using various units and special weapons. The goal of the game is to raid your enemy's stronghold while protecting your own castle. Battles normally last somewhere between 5-8 minutes.

The game will be available on both iPad and iPhone.

We appreciate you taking the time to let us know your thoughts and we're looking forward to discussing the game with you!

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Arcticmill

2. arcticmill

Jun 21, 2012
  3. popblanks

popblanks Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2011
    looks great! I always wanted a game like this for 2 people on a device! Ima buy this right away! :)

4. Gameloftfan1234

Apr 27, 2012
    Nice,

This looks good, I'm always a sucker for single device multiplayer

Has a release date been decided?

5. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Oooo this looks cool

6. johot

johot Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Hi again all!

@Gameloftfan1234:
    We we will release Castle Raid in August. We are almost done but we wanted to add some additional content before release.

You can also check out our webpage for more news at www.arcticmill.com.

Feel free to ask us any questions you have!

Cheers!

7. LazyGamer

LazyGamer Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Kiel, Germany
    Not that I really care that much, but will this be multiplayer on iPhone too?

8. Estupendo1

Estupendo1 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2012
    #8 Estupendo1, Jul 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
    Looks like an amazingly fun game (same screen co-op or vs games ftw!).

Observations:

- I prefer if you replace cannon with catapult - fits the theme better imo.

- how do you tackle friendly fire or you remove this complications? FF can be good option to allow/disallow for m-player :)

- You have several different battle grounds hopefully?

- Once you win one victory will there be a PULL-PUSH campaign mode

ie

Blue: MAIN stronghold --- 2ndry castle----- 3rtry fort-----no-mans-land

MIRROR for red on the RHS (right-hand-side).

So gets easier for either player closer to their stronghold but attacking player may have some better attack pts?? Allows extended campaigns/include siege equip etc.?

etc

=======

Current concept is awesome however imo.

=======

How much RTS/gameplay strategy will there be eg's of player decisions and directing of troops (finger swipes/line-drawing) direct interaction vs automa AI ?? Resource spending and player directing eg??

edit: artstyle is v cool and simple and clear. Like.

9. Dante.everplay

Dante.everplay Active Member

Jun 27, 2012
    I am a Producer and promoter at Everplay Interact
    Looks like a very good game, I like the art for it, it's very fun a little on the castle crashers side but very good. I hope to see the Game soon.

10. arcticmill

Jun 21, 2012
    Hi all,

@LazyGamer: Yep, the game will be available on both iPhone and iPad from start.

@Estupendo1: Glad you liked it! We thought the same, not nearly enough single device multiplayer games out there. Ice Rage is one of our favorites in this genre and must be the best one up until now ;)

Thank you for all your feedback and observations!
    - The race displayed in the video has some great engineers so they've managed to build a small explosive rocket ;) Great feedback though and I'm sure we'll take it into account when putting together the games next playable race.
    - From start we enabled FF in the game but it proved much to difficult for most players. However in the future we might consider having an option for enabling FF, for the more advanced players.
    - Yep, different battlegrounds featuring different obstacles and requiring different tactics.
    - We're having ongoing discussions on what game modes to add next and your suggestion definitely have some interesting aspects. I'll have to get back to you on this one in more detail once we're further along in our discussions. First priority a the moment is to release the game with a strong VS mode (either against computer opponent or friendly player).

The player controls resource gathering by deploying peasants. The peasant will automatically find nearest resource to harvest but as the player decides where to place the peasant he/she can control the overall harvesting time. On top of this resources tick in slowly but player engaged harvesting is required to be successful. The same principal goes for offensive units. The player needs to be alert on what unit groups to spawn to best counter the opponents attack (e.g. 3 footman as tanks with 3 archers as ranged attack) or when the opportunity presents itself spawn a fast moving unit group to take out the opponents base. When the units have been placed they find targets and attack using AI. The unit AI takes aggro, range, attack range, unit weight and loads of other parameters into account. The reason that we've chosen an automated unit movement strategy is to have the best possible playing experience on a shared device. Using gestures or multi-touch actions could definitely be something we'll look into down the road but at the moment it hasn't been proven to be needed. Oh, I almost forgot, on top of the strategy, resource management and unit handling the player also controls different special attacks / super weapons available to him/her from time to time. Using these cooldown based attack in the most effective way can really be a game changer.

@Dante.everplay: Thank you very much Dante! When designing the art we aimed for a fun "cartoonish" and clean style. Not only do we personally love this kind of art style it also makes it easy to distinguish the different units and buildings, even on a small screen.

Thank you for your comments!

If you have any followups or new comments, let us know. Until then, have a great one!

11. Estupendo1

Feb 10, 2012
    Sounds like you have made a lot of solid decisions!

The gameplay depth is not easy to see in the trailer, even if the fun (& social!) side of it are; so your explanation above is REALLY good to read.

Agree, the core game has to awesome, but you know players, always asking for too much. Skal!

12. johot

johot Member

Oct 3, 2011
    @Estupendo1: Yes it's always hard to please everyone but we are trying our best :) We have tried striking a balance here, we want the game to have a real depth when it comes to the combat. What type of units should you use against the current enemy units, how many and where? Since units automatically move you can create some interesting strategies by timing and placing things differently. And of course using your cooldown based attacks at the right time can really be a game changer. On the other hand we also want the game to be really social and easy to learn and play. You should be able to sit down with some friends (at the bus, at a party, at home, really anywhere) and have them playing it in a matter of minutes.

13. Estupendo1

Feb 10, 2012
    #13 Estupendo1, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
    Absolutely right - gotta be pick-up and play accessible. Imo Mario Kart was like this: Always a chance to fight-back at any stage makes the most fun games :)

edit: Can't wait to play this against my bro.

14. johot

johot Member

Oct 3, 2011
    @Estupendo1: I think I know what you mean :) The games can always turn fast in Castle raid, but we have also done some things to keep the games pretty short. This means that even if you loose a match you will often want a rematch right away!

15. arcticmill

Jun 21, 2012
    We just updated the first post with a new gameplay video and new screenshots! The game has now been approved by Apple and we will release it very very soon!

16. Estupendo1

Feb 10, 2012
    This could be so much fun! Love the way there are so many casualties and quick-spreading carnage.

Any defense units? eg pikemen against those knights?

Definitely looks like a game full of fun: Especially multiplayer same screen.

17. arcticmill

Jun 21, 2012
    Glad to hear that you like it!

For defense units your primary choice would probably be the archers. They are ranged and so they provide great support for your existing units. Just make sure you don't send them out alone, or you will indeed see carnage ;)

On top of this you have an awesome magic frostball attack that can be used when there are way to many enemy units knocking on your door.

Tomorrow (18th of September) Castle Raid hits the App Store! So make sure you get it early and start practicing so you can crush all your friends ;)!

All the info about the game can be found here:
    http://www.arcticmill.com

18. Estupendo1

Feb 10, 2012
    Gratz guys!

Just played a couple of games and won the first one (huzzah!) by a hair's width (!:eek:) and then got steamrolled on the second game (whoa)! Got to be more exact which Row/Lane I send units down I think.

It's definitely engrossing so far. The graphics are great and the carnage is very rewarding visually and ambiently.

I'll post feedback when I get more time.

19. arcticmill

Jun 21, 2012
    Thank you buying the game Estupendo! We'd love to get more feedback as soon as you have time!

A small "pro tip" from us: Make sure you keep training peasants or you will run out of resources pretty quickly!

Thanks again for playing!

20. Estupendo1

Feb 10, 2012
    Hi ArcticMill:

The game has got better and better. I managed a quick multiplayer with my bro also while visiting also which was useful.

Single-Player game:

1. It's got better as I've understood the controls and use the controls more accurately.
    2. Because the battles are intense and you keep pumping out units I did not at first realize (or forgot) the gold counter at the top (from the wood collected) can be stashed so you can stagger sending out waves of units.
    3. I also did not take the tutorial message very well to tap on a unit to bump it's number up to 2, 3 (and get the hero) - took a few games to realise that. Again because the battles are intense and you're focused on the battle, that psychological blindness seems to have go the better of me.
    4. My accuracy with the cannon, seeing how powerful it was, some initial games, I depended on it's accuracy and flunked my shots making me think, that's my final throw of the dice, going downhill now, better "RESTART". However the good news is now I'm much more accurate with it. Imo learning while playing a game is better than a separate test arena, I find. that's half the fun of intending to learn a part of the game then getting carried away when something else kicks off.
    5. I also improved at pushing out units right at the edge of the green deployment zone again - the player can get better at this - or put a unit behind a bit to ensure they arrive on time to where you're heading (usu. with other units supporting or drawing the enemy further in!).
    6. When I played a harder "champion" I found I lost a lot of games and could not cope. But when i noticed their peasants set out from the worst location to get wood and got taken out by a few knights in the early game, I realized how important depriving the peasants were: The fact the enemy AI targetted y soldiers made me click this was a sound approach.

Hope the experiences above are revealing. But the game is awesome fun and when I get more time to play my bro one of the best multiplayer games.

Will write more on the mplayer when I can.

G'luck.