Why isn’t there a category for simple “Relaxing” games in the Apple app store?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by jarkko, Feb 26, 2014.

1. jarkko

jarkko Member

Jan 30, 2012
    #1 jarkko, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
    Why isn’t there such a category for very SIMPLE games in the Apple app store?

Let’s just think about it, there are tons of game categories in the app store - action, education games and even music. But there is no place where developers could upload something easygoing and very relaxing but most of all very simple games. And that is a problem. Just remember the flappy bird thing, people were getting mad from playing it and there were no other games that could calm them down.

We realized that when we tried to upload our game RUB! to the app store. First five times we were declined by Apple censors, because the game was too simple for Apple standards. But it was simple on purpose. The whole concept was just to rub the screen for points. But because there wasn’t such a category for very SIMPLE games we had to make it less simple and not as cool as we had in mind.

We believe that perhaps there should be a place in the app store where some “simple” games would find their place. We truly believe that sometimes games should not make you mad (flappy birds), but instead should make you smile and forget all of your problems a second. That is why we are asking Apple to add a category for very SIMPLE games to the app store.
    This is our app that we are talking about: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rub/id697927329?mt=8

2. VRPgames

VRPgames Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Ireland
    There is no need for such category. All people have different tastes. I love FPS and combat flight simulators games. They relax me a lot but not as much as women do :)

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I agree. Think the worlds gone mad if there's a category for 'rubbing a graphic on the screen'

4. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    +1

and it would be full of slappy I mean flappy bird clones

5. NarrowStreet

NarrowStreet Well-Known Member

Definitely we need some "Flappy" category ;)

6. bw1024

bw1024 Member

Good idea: that way the rest of the App Store wouldn't be getting polluted with the flood of Flappy Bird knockoffs :)

Not a good time to be releasing a new app, I think.

7. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    One touch games wouldn't be a bad category to have but it would be a secondary category for most.

8. suppoman

suppoman Active Member

Oct 24, 2013
    Haha! If there were a relaxing category this game is definitely not for it!

Can you tell me how rubbing an egg image incessantly for a minute and getting a sweat on is in any way relaxing. This game is only good for practicing wrist actions. Is that why it was created?

9. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    It is an RSI machine!

10. Estipi

Estipi Member

Feb 18, 2014
    AAAAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!!! Right on man!!! I cant stop loughing... ))))