In app payments

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by jiffw, Jun 21, 2011.

1. jiffw

jiffw Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Which apps (games) do you think use in app payments in interesting/original ways?

2. FL!ppY

FL!ppY Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2010
    None. IAP is devil!

3. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    +1. :)

4. jiffw

jiffw Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Surely there must be some with redeeming features? :)

5. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

There are, of course.

But you're unlikely to find much serious discussion about it here. The "IAP suxx!" crowd will end up competing with the "unfunny jokes" crowd for attention and all attempts at having an actual dialogue will get buried.

That's how TA rolls sometimes. Especially during the summer, when the 13-year-olds have more computer time.

6. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Makes me happy im in Aus, Kids these days are a bit, Well you know.

But yeh, Its sad as all attempts to have a good IAP discussion seem to turn into a thread full of foul language and utterly pointless insults?

7. jiffw

jiffw Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Thanks for your input. It seems this is perhaps not the forum for this. Anyway for what it's worth, personally I think IAP are not all bad. It allows for users (to a certain extent) to pay based on how much they like/use a game. Users who play a game for weeks and maybe spend 5-10 dallars on IAP are still getting pretty good value for money, and those who use the game once or twice don't have to. Essentially it's a mechanism that a developer can implement to enable a user to pay for their game based on the enjoyment they get.

(this agument does of course rely on a certain type of game design, but hopefully you get the point).

8. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    good thing I'm not 13 anymore :p but you are right. just look at the price discussion thread

HEY NOW.

but yea, if implemented well, IAP is excellent. look at Great Little War Game, tiny tower/pocket frogs, and any other game with sizeable content expansions available for IAP. those are all excellent forms of IAP. And then the 2 nimblebit games allow so much freedom w/o and IAP... freemium done right. There's more good IAP too, they just aren't as common/i can't think of/I'm too lazy to type now. :p

9. Konakuer

Konakuer Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2011
    I promised myself to never buy an IAP... But Bug Heroes ruined my self-promise. ='(

Those IAPs are totally worth it. If I had a lot of money I would also buy IAPs for Tiny Tower and those kind of games, but I don't so... Neh. =[

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    You could be a billionaire and there still wouldn't be a good reason to buy Tiny Tower IAP.

11. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    There's nothing wrong with getting iAPs unless you're buying consumable ones. The ones for Bug Heroes are awesome and definitely worth the money.

12. daniller

daniller Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    I was wondering about this for a long time(I don't play Tiny Tower). If people don't buy IAPS for Tiny Tower, does it mean that he will never build a high tower? I've heard so many people talking about their high buildings. Do they really buy the IAPS for it? If it's true, they are really incredible.

13. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    No, it's not true at all. It's a freemium game done right. However, after putting about 10 hours into it in the past 6 days and having built my 28th floor, I can't say the game is fun anymore. It's just the same thing over and over again. Never liked Pocket Frogs, but no doubt, that was a much better and deeper experience. Will probably delete Tiny Towers tonight. We'll see.

14. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #14 MidianGTX, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
    I'm still loving Tiny Tower. It's definitely an exercise in repetition, but so are many other games. It's the steady sense of progress and knowing that things can only ever get better and not worse that keep me going. It's a bit like growing a plant too. You keep slowly at it but never spend too much time thinking about it, then eventually it flowers :)