Steve (not another zombie game) [Submitted]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by bang-a-rang, Aug 11, 2010.

1. bang-a-rang

bang-a-rang Member

Mar 3, 2010
    (sexy) Developer
    I’m Paul. I’m a developer at bang a rang interactive (hi Paul!). Hello.

We have recently submitted our latest creation to be judged by the all powerful Apple approval process.

So with hardly enough pomp and circumstance, I’d like to introduce you to Steve!

An homage to the computers and games of yesteryear, we think Steve is a new app with an old twist. Like a tamagotchi (but cool), Steve is your friend, and he needs your help to stay alive and healthy. He needs to be fed, played with, and cleaned up after. It’s a very retro themed game (as the screenshots should clearly indicate), and we’re hoping it will feel familiar but new.

It goes without saying that this app is in no way endorsed or sponsored by Apple, but we hope that they approve of our tribute to a great system of a simpler era .

Well, without drowning you in details, meet Steve:

And some screens:
    Load:
    [​IMG]
    Menu:
    [​IMG]
    Money in action:
    [​IMG]
    Feeding:
    [​IMG]

You can find more details and screens for Steve here.

As always, feedback and questions are greatly appreciated.

-Paul

2. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    This might actually be fun... Do we get to slap him is he is rude?

3. bang-a-rang

bang-a-rang Member

Mar 3, 2010
    (sexy) Developer
    Ha! Something like Black and White style, is that what you're thinking?

We had considered this. It should be noted that, like you and I, Steve's emotions are complex and it's often the case that words can hurt Steve much more than physical punishment. That being said, sometimes Steve can be quite rude!

We're hoping to iterate quickly on updated versions of Steve, and we'll be looking to add more physical interaction with Steve.

You can still make him dizzy now, and I can tell you, he does not appreciate that. Not one bit.

4. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    It's like a toned down interactive buddy. I hope you can cause him physical pain.

Good luck!

5. SJohnson064

SJohnson064 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2010
    I wonder if this dev is accepting offers for a preview! If so, I would like to! :)

6. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    This is, is it not, *coughs and adjusts glasses* a piercing satirisation of the concept of an individual in modern society?

7. bang-a-rang

bang-a-rang Member

Mar 3, 2010
    (sexy) Developer
    Feed, sleep, eat, money, exercise, work. Are we not all bound by these "applications?"

:)

8. veecheech

veecheech Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Minnesota
    This looks fun, I'm looking forward to the release.

9. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Steve, what a catchy name for an App. >.>

10. bang-a-rang

bang-a-rang Member

Mar 3, 2010
    (sexy) Developer
    Honk! Much appreciated.

During the development, we found ourselves using Steve's name so often and enthusiastically that we shortened the original title.

We also found it strangely easy to attribute wrongdoing or success to Steve. In fact, I'd say the theme during the development would be something along the lines of "Damnit, Steve."

Without a doubt, it was used frequently during the final bug testing stages. :)

11. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    I like it! Steve is a strong manly name!

12. ManofAegis

ManofAegis Well-Known Member

May 1, 2010
    California, USA
    This looks awesome! :D It reminds me of the old Mac that I used to play games like Warcraft I & II, Diablo I, Greebles, Yipe III, and Escape Velocity!

EDIT: I'm guessing the name Steve refers to Steve Jobs, as this game looks like the old Apple Macintosh.

13. bang-a-rang

bang-a-rang Member

Mar 3, 2010
    (sexy) Developer

The character Steve doesn't actually behave anything like Steve Jobs. In fact quite the opposite, Steve (from the game) doesn't like to do any work. I imagine, Mr. Jobs has a healthy work ethic.

Technically, the name Steve predated the graphical design of the game. Although, it would be a little inaccurate to say we didn't notice the Jobs' reference after we changed the graphical style to be more of an homage to the old Macs.

Originally, the game was meant to be an old windows variant (think Windows 3, or even a DOS environment).

14. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    As many have asked can I hurt him? And make him mean. :p

15. That's kinda funny. I'm not much for interactive pet type apps, but there's some novelty in the retro Mac Classic styling that might make this worth picking up, just to fiddle with it.

16. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    This looks like a humorous take on the Tamagotchi. I look forward to it :)

17. bang-a-rang

bang-a-rang Member

Mar 3, 2010
    (sexy) Developer
    I sense a strong desire to hurt and/or punish Steve! Mwahahaha.

Certainly, we know where the updates are heading. And we'll definitely be upgrading Steve's internals to add more complex emotions and feelings. Steve always wants the latest and greatest. He's a bit of a stickler like that.

We also have plans for extending the applications you can do with Steve (in both number and complexity) . We'll definitely fool around with a "Punish" application.

18. JNA Mobile

JNA Mobile Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Australia
    #18 JNA Mobile, Aug 18, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
    Looks really fun but I think you might have some trouble getting past review given that the Apple icon, the computer icon are similar to Apples (zealously guarded) trademarks. Using Steve as the name will probably hurt too.

Anyway all the best, I'll be downloading for sure if it gets through!

----
    Obstacle Alley - Coming soon to iPhone and iPod Touch

19. The Apple image is just an apple. No bite out of it, so no infringement on the trademark. I am a little concerned with the similarity to the original MacOS, which Apple might take issue with.

But if so and it gets rejected, you could always model it after the Banana Jr. :)

20. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    There should be a mode based off Interactive Buddy! That would make me happier than you could ever imagine.