Waxyland: actiony adventurish platformer game ideas

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by cubytes, Oct 2, 2010.

1. cubytes

cubytes Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    #1 cubytes, Oct 2, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
    WaxyLand

premise:

a world renowned wax sculptor Mr Wax is visited by a devious and mysterious magician. this magician (for some reason) decides to miniaturize Mr Wax, and then to add insult to injury, he turns him into a "wax man" and brings his entire wax gallery to life. aside from the fact that Mr Wax needs to find a way to turn himself back to normal, the wax world has its own fantasy and struggles to get involved with (save the wax princess, ect ect) thus the game begins... but maybe its all a dream? ;)

interesting dynamics to experiment with:
    -puzzles: i would like to try and create some interesting puzzles that play off the whole wax world concept
    -also play off the fact that Mr. Wax can re-mold himself into different forms at will

design thoughts................................................................................

dual stick combat (not shooter):
    -which means the perspective, controls camera ect will look and feel like a dual stick shooter
    -but instead of shooting projectiles Mr Wax will engage in melee combat
    -move via VJ
    -attack via an attack button
    -inputs; taps and swipe
    -FYI; i think the swipe shouldn't equal 4 different individual attacks but rather an extra attack; whereby the direction you swipe (up, down, left, or right) actually aims the attack
    -so therefore you have 2 attacks; basic and special
    -basic attack; this is your standard melee attack it will differ from mold to mold some will be very fast others slow some may just be linear attacks others wide area attacks ect
    -special; will vary greatly between forms
    -across the bottom of the screen between the VJ and the attack button; there will be 3 hotkey placeholders, where the gamer can assign molds
    -just tap and hold to change mold, takes a couple secs
    -Que up the menu to re-assign molds to the hotkey

Edit:
    -just to reiterate the swipe input is derived from gamer swiping across the attack button (up, down, left or right), not randomly swiping somewhere on screen...
    -also an additional input; tap and hold action button to charge and release an attack or ability of some kind

exploration incentive:
    -theres not going to be any items, weapons or equipment in fact health will be pretty much like any modern shooter (recharges after not taking damage for x amount of secs)
    -instead gamers will be compelled to find all the molds
    -some will be impossible to miss and needed to advance others will be hidden and secret
    -there should be lots and LOTS of different molds for Mr Wax at least 20 if not more
    -side quests which usually reward you with a new mold

molds:
    -idk maybe archetypes?
    -since mr wax is a wax sculptor and the gallery is turned into a wax world you wouldn't be confined or limited by setting or story
    -like for instance a ninja mold, maybe Mr Wax sculpted some dojos upon which you can derive a whole level themed after the edo period with ninjas samurai ect
    -you can play off of sports too and have a baseball player mold, hockey, soccer ect ect
    -also since Mr Wax is turned into wax you wouldn't necessarily be confined to a specific form; which is to say you can have a fantasy creature mold where you can mold Mr Wax into a Cerberus or a phoenix a dragon ect ect
    -another angle that can be pursued is being able to turn Mr Wax into objects such as a car or crane or a box or a whatever ect ect

how would a box mold work in combat? (off the top of my head):
    -you wobble around, quite comically of course
    -tapping attack button will close all the flaps then you will hop and collide into enemy as if an invisible person closed all the flaps picked up Mr Wax (in box form) and threw him at the enemy. swipes could be a "grab" in which you flip enemies inside your box
    -then for bonus damage you can shake phone rattling the enemy around inside the box until they pop out after X amount of seconds

see what im getting at?

2. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    I can't give you a good feedback but when reading "dual sticks" I couldn't resist quote a point.

The problem of dual sticks is the high lack of precision of the aiming because this aiming pad wants cover 360°. And that is very unpleasant for me because it lost all the fun that aiming can be by itself, the aiming precision.

3. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    If I were you, here's what I'd do. Forget the puzzle elements, and use a d-pad plus two buttons. One for jumping, and one for weapons when you have them.

4. nikhsterboi

nikhsterboi Well-Known Member

Is this the one that is being published by Chillingo?

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Congrats on coming up with another idea anyone could have thought of.

Edit: "maybe it's all a dream"? STOP THE PRESS!

6. cubytes

Aug 25, 2009
    no love for puzzles huh? ;)

at this point i want to put everything on the table and try to see what interesting concepts i can come up with in a wax world where you can mold/sculpt not only your character into different forms but also the world itself. seems like a good foundation for some interesting dynamics for combat puzzles and platforming.

7. cubytes

Aug 25, 2009
    negative

8. cubytes

Aug 25, 2009
    thanks :) I feel all warm and fuzzy inside now! I can hardly contain my excitement!!

9. funkynubman

funkynubman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    News Reporter/ Superhero
    Right. Behind. You.
    You kind of lost me at "Maybe it's all a dream." That would ruin the entire game as that's just about the least original concept you could include.

Plus, the "devious magician" part I think won't take off because I don't know which character to side with, him or Mr. Wax.

Overall, good ideas, but probably something you should think through more...

10. funkynubman

funkynubman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    News Reporter/ Superhero
    Right. Behind. You.
    Oh yeah, and you know he's MAKING FUN of you sarcastically, right?

(Except if YOU'RE being sarcastic...)

11. cubytes

Aug 25, 2009
    thx :)

yea the premise is something I whipped up on the spot to try and explain the concept of a wax character but then it turned into a wax world too and I just kinda rolled with it. as of right now nothing is set in stone. the magician doesn't have to be devious (as in the bad guy) and might be trying to teach mr wax a valuable life lesson by sending him thru this magical experience.

12. cubytes

Aug 25, 2009
    yea i was being sarcastic ;)

13. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    No, it's not that. But when puzzle elements come in, they often conflict with the initial platformer game and ruin it by confusing the player. They never come back and can even delete it. Just my honest opinion.

14. cubytes

Aug 25, 2009
    yea you want to make sure there is good balance and flow that's for sure :)