Looking for a fantasy adventure RPGish game

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Nibbz, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Nibbz

Nibbz Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Looking for a Fantasy Adventure RPGish type of game. Looking for something that is, in spirit, similar to Lord of the Rings and Middle Earth. I own Aralon, been looking at Eternal Legacy and Chaos Rings.

For one, which would you recommend over the other, Chaos Rings or Eternal Legacy. Also are there any games I have overlooked that is more what I am looking for?

2. MrOstrich

MrOstrich Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Im gonna recommend Ravensword, its 99 cents right now too if you act fast i believe.

3. Nibbz

Nibbz Member

Dec 16, 2011
    isn't that much like Aralon? I figured if I had aralon, ravensword wouldn't be worth it

4. Declan466

Declan466 Member

Dec 2, 2011
    #4 Declan466, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
    Yeah, ravensword was the game they made before aralon-it's worse, not that aralon was amazing either. You need to be more specific, do you want an aralon-like game, or a decision between chaos rings and the eternal legacy? Between the two, chaos rings is WAY better-longer, more story, better gameplay, and it's an original game made by square Enix, masters of the genre, rather than another half- gameloft once-only rip off.

On the subject of aralon-like games, that's unfortunately the best of its kind on the app store as of now. Personally, I'd wait and see what crescent moon comes up with next, there (serious) games have been getting progressively better and better as they come out, aralon being the best at the moment. What we need from them now is another serious-style game with some effort and care behind it, not just another lame attempt at a comedy fantasy game-they always suck. Look at evertales to see what I mean

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Aralon not amazing? Best rPG by far on the App store. Stunning game

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Some folks disagree -- it's okay.

Definitely Chaos Rings over Eternal Legacy. My favorite RPG right now, though, is Bard's Tale.

7. Declan466

Declan466 Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Ditto-while the scope of aralon was good-size of map, items, quests, etc, I felt the game lacked a large amount of 'polish'-there were tons of glitches that aren't fixed, several components that don't work/were never finished that we're thrown in anyway-the major one was crafting(correct me on this if this has been updated, when I played about 6 months ago it wasnt there). Also at one point your told to go to the desert area there as the sherrif guy needs help or something, so you enter an entire quarter of the map expecting several dungeons+lots of quests and the sherrif dude tells you to go the shops and never talks to you again for the rest of the game when you do that quest for him. So yeah. That's why aralon wasn't amazing for me. Unfortunately though psj3809 is right-it is one of the best on the app store at the moment, when devices are capable of so much more now.

8. Nibbz

Nibbz Member

Dec 16, 2011
    How does Bard's Tale play and how is the story

9. Declan466

Declan466 Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Top down almost, lots of rpg elements-it's a fully featured console title from 2004 that's been ported. It is mainly focused on comedy though, but In this case it's actually good-if monty python made a game, this would be it.

10. Declan466

Declan466 Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Oh, and the storys pretty much taking the piss of the classic fantasy scenario.

11. Declan466

Declan466 Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Amazing game though-easily worth the money.

12. Shankopotamus

Shankopotamus Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    The only thing stopping me from getting The Bard's Tale is all the IAPs I see on the iTunes page. What are they, and do they mess up the game?

13. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Lol, no they don't. You won't even know that they're there unless you look for them.

-----------------------------------------

As far as Aralon, it's a pretty good RPG, but I'd have to say it's not the best. Maybe it's the best in the "trying to be a full featured 3D adventure RPG", but there are quite a few better than it IMO.

It's sorta funny because someone just asked a similar question about this not too long ago, but his was for a Mass Effect type RPG. Here was my answer:

14. CassieTheChaoticCupcake

CassieTheChaoticCupcake Well-Known Member

Personally, I liked Order and Chaos.
    It's an MMO (supposed to be modeled after World of Warcraft or some hullabaloo of that sort) and it IS subscription-based, but they give you the first 3 months free. I really enjoyed it, and it's really expansive; gives you lots of room to explore and do your own thing. There's plenty of quests to complete, the graphics are fantastic, and the controls are really easy to learn. I'd consider giving it a look.
    If you want something more linear, the Dungeon Hunter series isn't bad, and while normally I wouldn't recommend Infinity Blade because of just HOW linear it is, I'll leave it as a suggestion.
    Celtic Heroes is also probably close to what you're looking for but I haven't heard much about it. Try out Hero of Sparta too. It's old, but I still enjoy it. :)

15. Shankopotamus

Shankopotamus Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    That's great to hear. I'm off to get The Bard's Tale.

16. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Yeah, O&C is prolly the best MMO on iOS currently. I haven't played it, but I've seen it played and am making a semi-logical observation. The reason I haven't bought it is because of some IAP gripes and the fact that World of Midgard is coming out the beginning of next year (hopefully by the end of 1st quarter). I've never been so excited for any game on this platform. The only thing that can ruin it is ruthless IAP. http://www.worldofmidgard.com/

Yeah, DH was awesome, but I'm done with it. I've moved onto Zenonia which is awesome. I'd also suggest checking out Wild Frontier.

I don't really consider IB2 as anything more than a fighting game. Does it have some RPG elements? Yeah, but plenty of games do.

What's the Celctic Heroes game your'e talking about?

17. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    Crimson Gem Saga is the best one on iOS. It's a not-so-great port of an absolutely amazing turn-based RPG for the PSP.

18. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #18 GoofyJmaster., Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
    If I had to say what I thought was the best RPG, it would definitely be King of Dragon Pass. It's probably the best RPG and strategy game on iOS IMO. The thing that'll throw people off is that it's story book style. However, it's one of the most immersive experiences you'll find on iOS (even on other platforms). I say that without any hesitation! the game runs deep!

As for the rest, I really like all the ones I mentioned plus some of the ones other people mentioned. They're role playing games so the experiences can vary greatly among people. Also, since the're on iOS there's a lot of different things you can find amongst all of them due to how they're set up to support the touchscreen.

Platformers and puzzlers are still my favorite types of games on iOS, but RPGs have definitely been moving up in my book.

Edit
    Here's the link for Celtic Heroes. It's a free MMORPG (that I totally missed) and has IAP for platinum.
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/3d-mmo-celtic-heroes/id431837446?mt=8

19. CassieTheChaoticCupcake

CassieTheChaoticCupcake Well-Known Member

It's a 3D MMO. It's some medieval-based game that's ok, but nothing extremely special.

20. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Got ya! Yeah, I missed it. It has pretty good reviews in the AppStore, but I think I'm going to take a pass on it. My backlog is ridiculous as is and I'm trying to finish a bunch of games in the next 5 days.