flowmo: a transcendental journey of discovery and exploration GIVEAWAY

Discussion in 'Promo Codes and Contests' started by toyboxlabs, Nov 21, 2013.

1. toyboxlabs

toyboxlabs Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Hey that's awesome :) Your kids are lucky, that sounds like fun. Pete probably can't take the credit though - he was working at Harmonix fairly recently. But I'll get him to pass that on :)

2. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Thank you for the code, I'll let you know what I think, hoping too get some serious time I. With my new titles today, housework isn't going anywhere right? It can wait lol.

3. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    I haven't played either of those, but I did try this one thanks to your promo code!

Cons:
    - It's difficult to tell what to do, or if you're really affecting the game/app in a significant way. by that I mean a lot appears to happen without any need for interaction on the part of the user, so it made me wonder why I was needed and what I was really accomplishing.

- I'm not really sure what the planets are/represent/do. They just appear to be static on the screen as a background visual.

- The game appears to move on its own, by which I mean if I don't do anything the screen moves around, things get drawn on it, etc. What is the purpose of my interacting with it then? To push it in a different direction? Not sure.

- It feels more like a demo than a truly interactive game/experience. The screen often moved to a completely different scene before I had a chance to feel "done" and want to move there on my own. It was fun while it lasted, but I never felt like I had control.

Pros:
    - It's mesmerizing, especially the opening screen.

- The interaction reminds me of solar flares. It's like I'm producing solar flares or solar winds with my fingers.

- It's relaxing, the music is pleasant, and the colors are nice, the fractal-type graphics work well and interact well.

The problem is, there's a lot of these types of games already on the app store and I'm not sure what sets this one apart? Devs, want to comment on this?

4. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    I just saw the 148 Apps review of Flowmo here, and I had no idea you could use "up to 11 fingers" in this app. The app description isn't available to me, yet, because the app isn't on the app store and there's no tutorial or hint system. How did they know? Not even the developer website mentions that. You really do need a bit more details about what's going on so people can get a more fuller experience out of this app.

5. toyboxlabs

toyboxlabs Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Hi dclose,

Thanks for posting your thoughts!

flowmo is part of a "non game" genre. The main point of games like this is the joy of discovery and figuring out what the game can do on your own. It's all about being playful and just trying things out to see what will happen.

There's a really fine line between telling the player what to do (which then ruins a lot of enjoyment you would have got out of the interaction) and being too obscure. When you hit that sweet spot, there's that special 'aha' moment of surprise and satisfaction when you figure out something cool you didn't think was possible.

In any case, we are waiting on first sets of feedback to see whether we should be a bit more explicit with instructions (so yours is really helpful, thanks). Some people love it as it is, and some people would get more out of it with more instructions. I'm considering specifically telling people that the idea is to be playful and experiment.

Part of the reason things happen without the player's input is because, in games like this, often you can't figure out what to do and get bored. I want to make sure you won't be bored -- but that if you experiment and be playful with the game, you will get much more out of it. Just try lots of different things!

6. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I pretty much agree with all of this. Had fun after I figured out what to do.

7. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Sorry I'm late with my comments. The graphics and music are amazing. It definitely has an indie feel to it and kind of reminds me of flower. However I'm not really getting a solid feeling how to interact with the game. Maybe have an option to provide pointers during the game.

8. background

background Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2012
    Auditor
    Still don't know much about the game, but the graphic and sound is really good, better if more interactive is added, all just have an option to choose from interactive experience or free exploration.

9. viktor4

viktor4 New Member

Nov 26, 2013