iTunes Connect: Tax Info Setup

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Rainier, May 24, 2012.

1. Rainier

Rainier Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Hi all, I've got a stupid question:

I have a single member LLC (I'm the only one in it and I'm the owner), and it's a disregarded entity. I also got an EIN for it. When I'm filling out the Tax info, it defaults to my LLC's name in Line 1, and it says at the bottom to give the same TIN for line 1, so I give it the LLC's EIN.

However, when I go to the next page to confirm it, line 1 changes to my personal name, so all of a sudden, the TIN I entered previously, the EIN for the LLC, isn't the same TIN for for my personal name, which is supposed to be my SSN.

So am I supposed to put in my SSN or EIN? Have any other developers run into this problem? Did it work out either way, and did payments from Apple come through just fine?

Thanks for your help!

2. Rainier

Apr 16, 2012
    Apple sent a response:

------------------------------------------
    Hello,

We are aware of the issue with completing the W-9 as a single member LLC (or a DBA) and are working to correct it. In the meantime, however, you can submit a new signed form to Apple. One has been attached for your convenience. You can then send to us via mail to:

Apple Inc.
    MS: 198-2RA
    12545 Riata Vista Circle
    Austin, TX 78727-6524
    USA

NOTE: Due to a newly updated banking and tax module in iTunes Connect, your Paid Apps agreement will not be activated until you have completed both of these sections online. Unfortunately, this means that you will need to complete the form as it is now, and we will update our system with the corrected information. Please note that you will not see a correction in iTunes Connect. The changes are made in our finance system (SAP).

I hope this information helps. If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
    ------------------------

There you have it! I'm not crazy after all.

3. riv111

riv111 New Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Hello. I appreciate your post.

I am going through a similar situation where I just migrated my account from an individual account to a company account.

I am a single member LLC and I didn't know if I should put my EIN number in the tax info or use a SSN since taxes are still filed under an SSN.

Can you share how you had to set yours up? Since app sales are not reported to the IRS I didn't know if the EIN would be rejected or not.

Apple has yet to get back with me on this so any advice you have on how you did it would be great.

Thanks

4. Rainier

Apr 16, 2012
    I hated filling this form out!

- I put the LLC name in the first line
    - Then I checked the Limited Liability Company box, and put Disregarded Entity on the line by the arrow
    - Then I used the EIN and NOT my SS#.
    - I left the exempt payee box empty

Please note that this was specific to my tax circumstances and may not apply to yours. I don't know if you're an exempt payee or not. It may make sense to run it by a tax advisor to make sure you filled out the form correctly.

Apple's instructions were so full of contradictions it was ridiculous.

Hope this helped. Good luck!

5. Appvism

Appvism Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
    I will be going through this process for the first time soon, so i can't offer advice on this. I do however have a question for the ios app developers here though, including yourself:

Did you create a separate new apple id for your company/llc? Or did you use your personal apple id?

I ask because i am about to pay for the apple developer fee and currently have a personal itunes id i use to purchase and play apps. However, i was wondering if i should instead create a new one for my (one man) "studio company"?

Any thoughts and advice on this?