Artist Contracts

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by rcloudsoftware, Mar 12, 2009.

1. rcloudsoftware

rcloudsoftware Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Does someone have a copy, a link, an example...or some other resource for what a simple art/artist licensing contract looks like (for a game)? Please spare me all the "go talk to a lawyer" talk, I know all that, I also know there are standard forms, and I've seen some...what I am looking for here is someone who has actually been on one side of a previous contract, and wouldn't mind either sharing what they used with me, or pointing me at a good example of one online. Even if I were to go to a lawyer, I wouldn't really know what to ask for. I want to see what a real contract looks like.

Quick context (in case you haven't been following my personal project): I have found some artists who have work that I am going to license for my game in development, and I do not have an existing contract written up. The specific deal I have an immediate need for, is an artist who has some work he has already done, which I am licensing the right to use in my game.

I've received so much help from people here on TA so far, thank you all for being so helpful.

Thanks
    Ryan

2. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Well just negotiating could work...........no need for a lawyer really.

3. PoV

PoV Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    London, Ontario, Canada
    #3 PoV, Mar 12, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  4. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    There is really no need. I did graphics for a game; and the contract was small and basically said that everything was under NDA; to discuss with them not with anyone else etc.

Depending on who you choose there is no need for a fancy 50 page contract IMO.

5. rcloudsoftware

rcloudsoftware Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    I don't need something fancy, I just want a simple, straightforward, one-page (probably one paragraph) contract I can sign with artists who are from across the world, basically just something to make sure there are no misunderstandings in the future.

When working with artists who are closeby, I don't mind...but because I have to work with a lot of different artists, and I don't require exclusive rights, it's easier if we put it in writing.

I will customize anything I find, but I know there are artists who sign these types of contracts, and I'd like mine to be as accurate and legal as possible...without having to go through the entire lawyer process, etc. I agree, it's not necessary.

Thanks
    Ryan

6. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iPhone Developer