App Store Premium for OS 4.0 ? What do you think?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by AdriVetasoft, Feb 19, 2010.

1. AdriVetasoft

AdriVetasoft Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2009
    Game Designer
    Belgium
    Guys, let's talk about the old rumored App Store Premium.

Here is my vision,

[​IMG]
    (Fake vision of the Premium Icon)

What is the App Store Premium?

The App Store Premium is a new additional revisited App Store.
    In the App Store Premium, you will have only the best games or apps available to the app store. In two word, there will be the traditional "app store" and the new "app store premium" icons available.

How it will work for the developers?

It's simple, a quality rules is required for this new category. Every developers can ask to be part of the app store premium but if the application is not responding to the quality chart, the app will not be validate. If the dev want to be in the Premium, they must improve the app.

The goal of the App Store Premium is to force the developers to make good app and games.

That's all beneficial for the customers, for the "true" developers and can generate more moneys for both camps, because the price can be a little more higher.

The App Store Premium will also featured a "random of the day" category where 20 games is randomly picked ( except of those who are allready in the top 25) the change will be made every day to give a chance to the good developers to be know. (that's the moral point !)

Benefical for the customers means: no more crap, no one screen app stuff, no more compilated sdk example with one modification to personalize the app and make illegal Mario soundboard stuff in one day, etc... Just good stuff.

The premium charts can be : good interface, good design, good sounds, nice design, clear mainscreen, many levels, etc. A quality control just like the Sony PSP or others...
    All rejected app will be followed by a explication in order to give the chance to the dev team to improved the issue.
    Other will, they must submit the application in the traditional App Store.

I really like the idea... What do you think?

2. gatorsxrule

gatorsxrule Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    School
    Florida
    I thought I was the only one who had :0
    [​IMG]
    lol

3. iMario

iMario Well-Known Member

A premium section in the App Store itself would be better, no need for a seperate app.

4. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

What iMario said. Why on earth would customers go to the "regular" store if they knew there was one next door where they could be certain to get only quality stuff?

5. AdriVetasoft

Sep 25, 2009
    Game Designer
    Belgium
    @gatorsxrule: I just fake the screen with photoshop, what's your screen about? lol

In my own opinion is to force developers to migrate to the premium and to have a perfect clean App Store, for once and for all.

That's all we want, right?

6. NickFalk

If that was what I wanted I obviously wouldn't have made Farting Boobs! ;)

I still don't see how this would pan out. Eventually Apple would have to maintain a separate store no-one cares about, and they can't really rename the Premium Store to just the AppStore later on without confusing the public.

I believe part of the problem today is Apple's emphasise on sales-figures. Yes, it's the traditional way of compiling these kind of lists but it's also a guaranteed way of getting sensationalist crap up there. If Apple could device some kind of well thought out rating/sales-figures formula and put a list based on these criterias front and centre I believe it would solve most of the problems I as a consumer have with the AppStore.

7. Gravity Jim

Gravity Jim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Commercial music producer
    Santa Rosa, CA
    The "Feature" sections already cover this ground, don't they?

8. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

I'm 99% sure some people give 1 stars to every app they get regardless of quality

9. NickFalk

Well, the ratings don't seem to support this.

10. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

i hate the idea of having two apps.

11. AdriVetasoft

Sep 25, 2009
    Game Designer
    Belgium
    The feature section is only a (unknown) choice made by Apple.

12. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    When I'm mass deleting I always hit the "don't rate" button. I wish it wouldn't ask all the time.

Trouble is, I hardly ever rate games I like either. Why have Apple made it easier to rate games you dislike and are deleting, than games you love and want to keep? Going back to the games page to leave a review is stupid.

13. AdriVetasoft

Sep 25, 2009
    Game Designer
    Belgium
    why? explain, this thread is made for that :)

14. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    who decided what goes into the premium section/store - sounds like apple will ask for money to get "premium" access to make this work. then the indie developers are still screwed over. if apple just removed a lot of the junk/spam - we all would be better of.

15. carlo

carlo Well-Known Member

that they should better have not accepted at the first place....

Another alternative could be category by prices, as fore sure quality titles would probably be higher priced, i will feel better to search and browse the appstore with app of the same calibre within a price range i am looking for, i doubt a fart app, soundboard app or anything similar will stand the ranking if listed among 5.99 or 9.99 app, so maybe we'll start to see some order..into the appstore, finally....

16. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

well, why have an extra app when:

1. you can just have a new section in the app store or have a choice when you open up the app store app: standard and premium

2. they limit us to 11 pages, and dont even give the option for folders. i'd be angry to have to even take off one app because o an extra, unremovable, pointless icon.

17. iMario

iMario Well-Known Member

For me it does. Don't see the need of a premium section.

18. AdriVetasoft

Sep 25, 2009
    Game Designer
    Belgium
    In this case, you miss a lot of good applications and games.

19. AdriVetasoft

Sep 25, 2009
    Game Designer
    Belgium
    1. That's also a idea.

2. you skip the idea of a clean new App Store for a icon? Are you serious? so just ask apple to make 12 pages :D

20. iMario

iMario Well-Known Member

Not really. I go to toucharcade.com for that - you should give it a try!