What is your favorite old school RPG?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Dave in the basement, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Dave in the basement

Dave in the basement Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Indiana
    Hello all,

I am relatively new to the iPad2, and I'd like to know some of your favorite old school RPGs. While cool graphics are a nice touch, I am more concerned about gameplay. Grinding is fine, as is pure old fashioned hack and slash. Ideally I'd like an iPad or universal app, but please don't be shy if you have any suggestions that don't quite fit that mold.

Right now Avadon looks the part, but I am of course open to any suggestions.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if you need any additional information. Thank you in advance for taking the time to reply!

Dave

2. astralWolf

astralWolf Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Freelancer
    USA
    Two that come to mind are: Gailardia, and Monster Rpg 2.

3. My favourite is definitely Shining Force 2. The three earlier Shining Force games had a fantastic battle system and really created a feeling of epic battles.

4. Psiufoxx

Psiufoxx Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    sustainability consulting
    paris (yeah, the one in france)
    Why have I never heard of Gailardia before? I'm downloading NOW.

Thanks astral!

5. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

Wonderboy 2 and 3 on the Master System.

Secret of Mana and Zelda on the SNES

Also, who remembers Legend of the Mystical Ninja on the SNES? What a great combination of gameplay styles. And all the mini games too!

Hmm... that gives me an idea for a new game....

6. Psiufoxx

Psiufoxx Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    sustainability consulting
    paris (yeah, the one in france)
    I remember Mystical Ninja on SNES -AND- on N64. I loved Goemon.

7. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

There was so much variety in that game.

8. Dave in the basement

Jul 29, 2011
    Indiana
    Thank you for the replies and suggestions, everyone! I had never heard of Gailardia, and Monster Rpg 2, and it was great to see that Gailardia is free! :D

I am looking for old school RPGs to play on my iPad, so please keep those recommendations coming. Thanks again,

Dave

9. Dahak

Dahak Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Library circulation rep
    Beaufort, SC
    The Quest on iOS, naturally.

And at the risk of being too old-school, Phantasie I on the Commodore 64.

10. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #10 drelbs, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
    If you favor gameplay over graphics, you might want to pick up Dragon Bane II, gameplay is identical to the old Bard's Tale games. It looked great on my Handspring Visor Prism back in the day, but is definitely dated now.

Unfortunately there's no way to load user-made games in the iOS version (there is a world editor available) but one such game is out on iOS, Princess Demelza.

You should definitely check out The Quest (if you haven't already) it's excellent, and there is Undercroft as well. Another old favorite Alkalabeth is on iOS as well.

Doesn't get much more old-school than these. ;)

PS> If you want to include roguelikes in your search, in order from beginner -> master I'd recommend Sword of Fargoal HD, then Cavern and/or 100 Rogues (universal), then Rogue Touch.

11. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Just curious..how long is Gailardia? I won't mind trying it if its 2-5 hours.. If its a grind like the old Dragon Warrior/Quest (I love these still!)..I may pass for now.

I loved Dragon Quest IX on the DS..but spent way too many hours playing it.

12. Dave in the basement

Jul 29, 2011
    Indiana
    I loved the Bard's Tale (on my brother's C64!), so I'll definitely check out Dragon Bane II and the Quest.

Thank you for the additional suggestions, Dahak and drelbs. I appreciate it!

Dave

13. Jack111

Jack111 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Holland
    My favorite old school rpg would be Phantasy Star 4 and Might & magic 6
    On the ios my favorites are Phantasy Star 2 and Final Fantasy 3

14. Lazer

Lazer Well-Known Member

May 14, 2011
    How is PS2? I've been meaning to get it, because I never played it, but I hate how slow you walk around in the old Phantasy Star games (nitpicking I know, but it just feels odd to move really slow).

15. Jack111

Jack111 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Holland
    You dont realy walk very fast through its not to bad but the layout of the dungeons is the most complex of any rpg i have ever played and they are filled with realy hard monsters but if you like old school rpgs this is one of the best ever made