Best and worst controls?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Sciuridae, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Sciuridae

Sciuridae Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Satisfying controls are very important for the continued enjoyment of a game. This is seen very clearly in the app store, where developers have to deal with the peculiarities of the idevice's hardware. Some games try to copy interfaces and controls directly from other hardware, and end up sinking an otherwise good game. Otherwise average games implement good controls, and are suddenly a lot of fun.

In your opinion, which games have the best controls, and the worst controls, among those you have played from the app store?

This is quite apart from the quality of the rest of the game. An excellent game can have horrible controls, and a boring game can have excellent controls.

I'll get the ball rolling...

Best controls:

Pathpix
    Peggle
    Exorcist
    Sky Burger
    Card Ninja
    iFighter
    Snail Mail

Worst controls:

Tower of Souls
    Sketch Dungeon
    Zenonia

2. RayLancer

RayLancer Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Best Control:
    Space Ninja

Worst Control:
    Underworlds

3. xVietx

xVietx Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    Zenonia? How do you figure that Zenonia has the worst controls? I find them just fine. They're actually petty easy to use.

4. Sciuridae

Sciuridae Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    The d-pad, mostly. In all my time spent playing the game, I felt I was fighting against the interface, not the critters.

Moreover, the menus are of exceptionally poor design. I'm sure they worked well on mobile phones, but there did not seem to be any attempt made to accomodate them to the idevice.

To forestall the obvious retorts... I've been playing video games since the mid eighties, I play the piano, and I touch-type at 110 WPM, so I don't think there's anything wrong with my manual dexterity. :)

Zenonia looks like a fantastic game, and I am very much looking forward to the recently-submitted update. There's nothing I'd like more with regards to that game than to be able to sit back and enjoy what looks like a beautiful, polished, deep (by app store standards) experience.

At the moment, with the present, non-updated controls, that just isn't happening.

5. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    I find the controls on so many games really good. Difficult to narrow it down:
    Doodlejump
    ParaPanic
    Star Defense
    RR
    Kryzer
    cs.one
    iFighter
    Blimp
    Belowscape

etc etc

One I am not getting along with, but still perservering with is Real Tennis.

6. jmarquiso

jmarquiso Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    So far, I think the game is alright, if overpriced, and teh control isn't what I'd call bad, but "Challenging"

Moon Dancer

It's Bionic Commando with tilt control.

7. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Couldn't agree more. Wonderfully explained and exactly how I feel.

8. xVietx

xVietx Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    Oh, now that you mention it, I do have problems with the menu. Not so much with the joystick while playing. Just the menu though. Gamevil has said that it's been fixed in the newest update.

9. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    I think one of the worst games controls were Rolando and Enigmo. In my Opinion. :p Those controls just didn't gel for me.

10. Alichan76

Apr 15, 2009
    wow, that is some statement. I'm curious why?

11. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Well, it just didn't feel right for me. Having to turn, draw, roll everywhere, it's just not for me. Enigmo was just crazy hard for me, I was dragging a tool to win the game and it dragged out the wrong one! :mad: I've hated it ever since.

12. Alichan76

Apr 15, 2009
    fair play:). Enigmo didn't knock me off my seat either, although I must say Rolando felt good.

13. antonioj

antonioj Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009
    In terms of best controls, I have to mention iFPS 1.1 for showing online multiplayer fps action can work on the iPhone

14. MartiNZ

MartiNZ Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Yeah I really like the controls in Rolando. In Enigmo I think it's fair to say it wasn't the controls that made me not enjoy the game.