Blendamaze - A Colorful Strategy Game (by Borderleap Games)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by borderLeap, Aug 21, 2012.

1. borderLeap

borderLeap Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 9, 2012
    Founder & Game Creator @ BorderLeap
    #1 borderLeap, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012

I'd like to introduce you to an exciting new puzzle game called Blendamaze.

When I was a child, I had one of those wooden labyrinth boards where you had to navigate the marble through and keep it from falling into the holes. Inspired by this, I created Blendamaze - a puzzle/strategy game that combines the physics of these labyrinth boards with the addition of colorful paint.

What I'm so excited about is that this game is so unique. It blends challenging gameplay with basic rules of color theory - providing a game that is not only fun but educational as well. You roll your marble around the board, dropping it into the paint holes. Every time it goes into a hole, the paint on your marble blends with the color of paint in the hole. The objective is simple: to match specific colors. I've shared the game with adults and children alike and they love it! I hope you enjoy it as well :)

There is no time limit or score, just the challenge to complete each level and match the colors exactly. After you master the basics you’ll find further levels are harder than they appear!

Screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am super excited about this game and it's soon release. Thanks for checking it out!

-Nate

2. borderLeap

Patreon Silver

Aug 9, 2012
  3. borderLeap

Patreon Silver

Aug 9, 2012
    Thanks to all who have signed up with TestFlight! Just released a new build.

Would love to hear any other members' thoughts about the game :) Thanks much!

-Nate

4. @CoronaJunkie

@CoronaJunkie New Member

Aug 23, 2012
    New twist on the wooden labyrinth puzzle genre

I had a chance to test this game before it hits the App Store. These are my first impressions:

Blendamaze brings a new twist on the wooden labyrinth puzzle genre. As if balancing the little ball across the wooden board wasn't challenging enough, it really forced me think back hard to grade school when I last was blending water colors.

The gyroscope control are responsive - at first the ball appear to roll around a little slower than real life, but soon I was glad it wasn't too sensitive while avoiding dipping the ball into the wrong colors. The sound of the ball inching it's way across the wooden board is realistic so that I can almost smell the wooden box from my childhood. The graphics are polished and the paint streaks the ball leaves behind is a nice extra touch.

It's not an easy game. What at first is an easy colour match becomes progressively harder as more complex color blends are introduced. It's going to take me a while to get through all the levels (hours) and more are coming. Challenging and fun - oh, and did I mention challenging? ;)

Well done!

5. borderLeap

Patreon Silver

Aug 9, 2012
    @CoronaJunkie - thanks for checking it out and for the thorough feedback! Glad the game played well for you and that you enjoyed it! :D

Any final beta testers interested? A number of folks have signed up (thank you!) - I'll be releasing a new build this weekend.

-Nate

6. speed4mee

speed4mee Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Great gameplay so far and a very polished design :)

But Game Center is not available :(

7. borderLeap

Patreon Silver

Aug 9, 2012
    Thank you! :)

I had disabled GameCenter for the latest beta build, but will be re-enabling it here for the next release ;)

8. birnam

birnam New Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Lots to love with this game. Mostly there's a very high level of polish. It looks great, the sound fx are subtle but just right, and the physics are really well adjusted -- it just feels right. Especially the color splashes and trails.

Maybe I'm just not very good at the marble labyrinth games (ok honesty time, I found out I wasn't good at those when I was 10) but there's a very solid level of difficulty in this game. I was only about halfway through the Primaries when I realized I was holding my breath when trying to navigate the marble through the more challenging areas!

But on the other hand, the color mixing is just FUN. So much fun, in fact, that it actually negates the frustration I tend to feel in the marble labyrinth games. The result is just a ton of fun.

There are SO MANY LEVELS. I'm impressed at the amount of work and creativity that went into this :)

Excellent!

9. borderLeap

Patreon Silver

Aug 9, 2012
    Hey there birnam thank you for checking out the game :) Glad to hear the physics felt right! And that it is fun :D Appreciate it much!!

10. RebelBinary

RebelBinary Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Software Developer/Designer
    Ottawa, Canada
    All accelerometer game take a few seconds to get used to, but once I got going on this one it was fairly easy. I love how you draw the lines on the board and the slick presentation, sounds and overall consistency makes this game a lot of fun

My only suggestion would be to make lines thicker (probably in a later release), and maybe make a way to skip basics and move on to harder levels earlier.

Game is a great successor to previous maze games, looking forward to seeing this out.

11. speed4mee

speed4mee Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    #11 speed4mee, Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
    I've played a little more with the 0.9.9.0 and have a lot of fun.
    The game is very challenging and a new twist on the labyrinth games.
    The outfit is quite polished and the color palette is another highlight.
    My wish for the next update is a sensivity calibration and a time based scoring :)

12. borderLeap

Patreon Silver

Aug 9, 2012
    Thanks speed4mee for the comments and for checking out the beta! Glad to hear that it's challenging ;) Good suggestions too about sensitivity and time-based scoring... Working on a scoring method now that will compliment the achievements - it's not quite time-based but close. Getting sensitivity optimized too - latest beta has been getting great feedback about sensitivity levels.

13. borderLeap

Patreon Silver

Aug 9, 2012
    Thanks much! Paint lines are a bit thicker now - should be out in the next release :)

14. skeletonlord

skeletonlord Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Liking the game! It's quite challenging :)

15. borderLeap

Patreon Silver

Aug 9, 2012
    Great to hear! :) how far have you been able to play?

16. RebelBinary

RebelBinary Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Software Developer/Designer
    Ottawa, Canada
    Oh yah one more thing I was playing your game and level 17 felt out of place, it' s much harder then the next 2 levels, consider moving it up a notch, it's hard to dodge the paint pots to get to the target

17. borderLeap

Patreon Silver

Aug 9, 2012
    Good point - thanks for mentioning! That level does introduce a new concept in navigating around the paint holes... I'm polishing up a few of the levels and will edit that level a bit.

18. borderLeap

Patreon Silver

Aug 9, 2012
    Thanks again everyone who has helped test Blendamaze - it's been submitted to the App Store and is awaiting review :D

19. borderLeap

Patreon Silver

Aug 9, 2012
    Updated screenshots showing a few more levels and new paint trails! More images below in the first post :)

[​IMG]