The Mobile Gaming Stigma Discussion

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by metalcasket, Mar 9, 2017.

1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Simply because it would have been deemed a shitty mobile game had it been on mobile first and then made its way to other platforms.

2. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Yep, the bullshit stigma of mobile.

But this game is utterly fantastic and I really couldn't imagine or want to play it without touch controls after experiencing it this way.

3. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    I don't think that's necessarily true. A good mobile game isn't automatically deemed a shitty mobile game just because. Games like Monument Valley, The Room, the Simogo games. They are well respected, and had no stigma attached. They work well with the platform that they're on, and Mushroom 11 is a strong example of this. What's worse, is that I honestly think this game got lost in the mix on PC, despite some coverage on popular sites and critical adoration. Much like you could easily slap on the stigma of "shitty mobile game," the label of "shitty bloated indie PC scene" is a thing as well. The gameplay is incredibly suited for mobile devices, and I think it stands out even more as a mobile title than it does a PC release, and that isn't a slight to the game or the mobile scene whatsoever. This is a nigh perfect puzzle platformer for what it sets out to do with plenty of awesome moments and an incredible style that I adore, and I hope it is as successful as it deserves to be.

4. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Have you been on any PC or console gaming forums? There most certainly is still a very heavy bias against mobile gaming. Every time I see a game -- whether it's great or not -- ported to PC or console, there's usually an endless stream of idiotic comments like "oh, it's just a crappy mobile game. Pass."

You'd think with games like Monument Valley and many others that won awards from gaming sites that it would have made mobile gaming more acceptable. Sadly, it hasn't for many.

Anyway, not going to get into that ludicrous debate here. But go outside forums like this and it's still a brutal world for mobile -- in the hardcore gamer community especially.

5. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Right right, my bad, I was talking about people that actually mattered. Actual logical, and true to the term, hardcore gamers that play games because they're good, and that's the only factor that actually matters to them. I'd imagine that makes up the majority of most human beings in the market with access to any given title. In particular, I hate just how easily everybody gives credence to loud trolls on the internet that would write off an entire scene regardless of quality because they actively want to hate fun things because that's where we are for some insane reason. Stupid internet.