Eliminate - Matchmaking System Worse Than Before

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by thespartan, Nov 14, 2009.

1. thespartan

thespartan Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    I have played 6 games this morning and I am beginning to experience something new. While it seems that I am being matched up with players much closer to my skill and level (I am a level 26 with approx. 6,000 skill points) every single one of my games was 1v1.

Maybe the new matchmaking formula is too strict and therefore can not find enough people matching the stricter criteria. Regardless of the reason, this is worse than the previous system that would sometimes match me with players 10-15 levels higher than me. At least then I got to play against a full three other people.

Is anyone else experiencing this today?

2. TonyDeez

TonyDeez Active Member

Nov 14, 2009
    I've fought 1v1 in most rounds for the most of the duration as well, until more people joined. Actually, I like this system much, much more. I used to play a lot even though I had no energy, thus my skill level peaked 4k at level 10. And at that level with that skill level with the previous system...yea...At least now I don't have to reload fifty times to kill someone...

3. RoyalCanadian

RoyalCanadian Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    thats okay
    nobody can kill me anyway

4. thespartan

Nov 2, 2009
    Yeah, but if you get stuck with someone that runs and hides, it is impossible to get a significant number of kills. Not to mention it takes all the fun out of the game to be chasing one guy around the map the whole time.

5. TonyDeez

TonyDeez Active Member

Nov 14, 2009
    You can put it like that. But imo it equates to the futile shooting of some superbly high-leveled player that will probably kill you in 2 or so shots. Then again, personal preference, to be splattered or to play hide n' seek?

6. thespartan

Nov 2, 2009
    Fair enough. To each his own, I guess...

Does anyone know if the 1v1 thing is just a temporary problem while they iron out the details of the matchmaking system, or is it a permanent change. Has ngmoco made any announcements about the changes?

7. RankoSao

RankoSao Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    You would HAVE to use hit and run commando tactics against someone that high leveled...

8. thespartan

Nov 2, 2009
    True, I guess I am not arguing that we should be playing people 10-15 levels higher than we are. All I am saying is that this 1v1 thing is really annoying me. Ideally, we should have good matchmaking, but also not constantly be put into games that are not full.

Do others agree?

9. TonyDeez

TonyDeez Active Member

Nov 14, 2009
    #9 TonyDeez, Nov 14, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
    Not really, when 3 others are at least doubled your level. On top of that + small maps. Odds are highly against you. I have some screens if you like to see, lol. I'm not patronizing you or anything, I'm just proving the point that the previous system punished players(no power-cell) for being commonly decent at the game.

EDIT: I do however agree with thespartan. Randomized matchmaking is a hard procedure to perfect. If ngmoco actually does so, then they are undeniably witty (not that they aren't already).

10. thespartan

Nov 2, 2009
    At least when you have a full game you can taunt the dead bodies and steal credits, even if you aren't making all that many kills. :)

11. RankoSao

RankoSao Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    Thyank you for giving me new ideas!

12. TonyDeez

TonyDeez Active Member

Nov 14, 2009
    True, very true. Although if someone like me is doing so, they probably have no power cells/energy because they're low-leveled with a skill level or someone twice their level. (levelslevelslevelslevels @_@). I'll admit that I do that when I'm energized, though.

13. thespartan

Nov 2, 2009
    Indeed, it is a lucrative strategy. :)

Has there been any official word on the matchmaking changes from ngmoco?

14. Daniel Novoa

Daniel Novoa Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    why don't they just make a server list like in games like ounter strike?

15. Bullroarer

Bullroarer Active Member

Nov 6, 2009
    You should be shot, along with the rest of the credit stealers. I hate credit stealers.

16. thespartan

Nov 2, 2009
    It is part of the game buddy. Of course people are going to pick up all the credits that they can... especially when it is what helps you level up.

If you aren't picking them up yourself it is because you are too slow or otherwise incapable.

17. Bullroarer

Bullroarer Active Member

Nov 6, 2009
    My point is those times when you make a kill from farther away and the credits have been taken by the time you get there. Annoying, but it can't really be changed.

18. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    It definitely favours close combat and by extension the plasma cannon.

They could have all the credits of each kill go directly to the player but leave the health recharge lying around.

19. Bullroarer

Bullroarer Active Member

Nov 6, 2009
    qft!