Playstation Vita Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Haruhi, Dec 12, 2011.

1. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    wow this game starts off slowly... hope it picks up. talk about a snooze-fest. I like it when games start off in the middle of the action, like the first 5 minutes of a movie :p

2. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I don't think he knows what he's doing lol.

Speaking of has anyone gotten their beta invites yet?! So far I've only hear EU codes have been set which has left me checking my email quite a few times today hoping the US codes will go out soon. From what I've seen LBp vita looks every bit as good as it is on console an will be its flagship title for quite awhile.

3. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

Im in EU and filled in answers what i thought was correct ;) eg i own a Vita...
    But no luck :(

4. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Tried the Resistance demo and it wasn't bad... But it wasn't great either. Kind of meh to be honest.

Graphically, it's better in some places than NOVA 3 and worse in others. Almost everything looked at least OK, but some things looked like they were straight out of a PSP/PS2 game (the chimeran ship that is crashed in the beginning warehouse or whatever). Bump mapping, lighting, and particles weren't bad.

Also noticed a few sound glitches- Smitty (or whatever the fire fighter you rescue in the beginning's name is) moves his lips after his voice plays. Seems really inconsistent.

It also got relatively boring quick, because you just do the same thing over and over. The level design is very linear- they just lay it out in a zig-zag sort of way. No multiple paths or anything.

Graphical quality kind of reminds me of Fallout 3/New Vegas. It looks great in some places, but bad/subpar in others. Of course, the Fallout games offer craploads of gameplay and this does not.

Story seems like it was put on the back burner or written overnight and never revised. You're never really introduced to Tom Riley- you don't know anything about him except that he's a firefighter. It also really bugs me that he can use all these weapons without any explanation. Did he used to be in the military? Is he a gun enthusiast?

Ultimately feels like a long proof of concept or something. I think if they had baked it a little longer, it wouldn't be so doughy. All of this is based of the demo (which is the first level) so take this with a grain of salt. Think I'll just wait until it's $20 or less. Definitely not worth $40. Also not the best handheld FPS I've played (has the best controls hands down though).

5. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    For all the US vita owners some good psp games got added to psn today as well :

PSP
    Astro Boy: The Video Game
    Ben 10 Alien Force
    Ben 10 Alien Force: Vilgax Attacks
    Ben 10: Protector of Earth
    Ben 10 Ultimate Alien: Cosmic Destruction
    Despicable Me: The Game
    echochrome
    echoshift
    Everyday Shooter
    flOw
    Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier
    Killzone: Liberation
    King of Pool
    LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
    LittleBigPlanet
    LocoRoco
    LocoRoco 2
    LocoRoco: Midnight Carnival
    No Gravity: The Plague Of Mind
    Parappa the Rapper
    Patapon
    Patchwork Heroes
    Secret Agent Clank
    The Secret Saturdays: Beasts of the 5th Sun
    SOCOM: Fireteam Bravo

Minis
    Battle Poker

6. Jinathin_x_X

Jinathin_x_X Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    Have I have been playing single player more than 6 hours now and I have to say story isn't bad at all.
    If you are resistance fan or want to give a try to FPS games, this game is awesome. More you go, you unlock badass guns and more different ways to upgrade them, and intel tells you hidden messages. This game probably worth $40

7. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Still waiting for Fat Princess and Hot Shots Tennis to become compatible......hurry up Sony.

8. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
  9. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

Just retrieved my online pass for Resistance and I can't seems to connect! Tried to matchmaker into any game mode and I time out. Anyone manage to get online?

10. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Played through the demo again, and I have to say, it really grows on you. Think I enjoyed it more the second time than the first. I think people need to lower their expectations- it seems most reviewers are bummed that it really didn't push the Vita very far and that it's much more capable than this. Probably will pick it up eventually. Hopefully they release DLC or something that improves it, as well as some patches.

11. Jinathin_x_X

Jinathin_x_X Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    Just finished the game and this is far best the console FPS games on hand held device ever. People say story line is boring but I quite enjoyed it.
    Compare nova 3 to this game? Pff.... Bunch of losers and haters
    Go and play the game, it's totally worth $40

12. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    When does the game pick up? I'm finding it extremely boring. I just entered the tunnel and i'm struggling to continue playing.

I'm not used to the touch implementation on some of the weapons and alternate weapons, they really seem counterproductive whilst in combat. Which hand do I take off the controls, movement or looking? :\

Sound could be improved, theres a real lack of sound effects thus far, and the sound track could be a little more dramatic and chaotic considering whats going on.

These are just little issues I have, pretty much "polish" which definitely goes a long way on games we've become conditioned to.

Lastly, the duck&cover mechanics aren't as good as Unit13's. Not that they're necessary in an FPS where you can just circle strafe, but if you're going to implement it -- implement it right.

13. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Just bought Resistance but now I don't know if I want to open it :/ I guess I'll download the demo first and try it out.

And Yay! I get to download Killzone: Liberation and LittleBigPlanet on the Vita.

14. fulcizombie

fulcizombie Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Tried the demo of resistance and i am glad that i did because i saved 45 euros . That thing is horrible which is a shame because the vita is ideal for handheld fps .
    First of all the graphics are awful and N.O.V.A 3 (at least on ipad2) absolutely destroys that ugly mess . Damn the textures are nasty . Only the lighting and shadows are good but i always find the texture quality in a game far more important when it comes to visual fidelity . The sound is also a joke, how on earth could they not nail the freakin sound effects in a fps ?? The controls are also bad with the touchscreen elements being particularly distracting . The gameplay seems (since i've only tried the demo) boring and unispired.

No wonder this is getting destroyed in reviews (only some diehard sony fanboys are defending it) , sony must try much harder with the vita , this thing needs games and i mean exclusives not handheld versions of console games .

15. mashead2000

That makes no sense?unless you been its still sealed and may return it lol!

16. mashead2000

Have you played Mortal Kombat? Which is worse graphics wise?

17. fulcizombie

fulcizombie Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Sorry i haven't played mortal kombat , but the graphics in resistance are terrible , in fact i couldn't believe what i was seeing on my vita screen from a sony 1st party game !!!

18. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Makes no sense? I bought it and it is still wrapped, that's what I mean lol...

19. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    To add to the confusion here is one review that gave Resistance a perfect 10 out of 10 I'm about ready to give up online reviews I just don't know which ones to trust.

Resistance Burning skies review