iPhone Former Fable Director's new game: Incoboto

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Dene, Jul 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Managing director, artist, musician, programmer, d
    U.K.
    #1 Dene, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
    Hi folks,

Just a couple of teaser shots of the new project which should be out in a couple of months.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a puzzle/adventure/exploration/story/weird game. Sorry. It just happened that way. Much like Fable's Albion, it's a strange, chimeric thing with bits of DNA from all over the place.

It's an open world; and you can go back and forth as you see fit. None of this linear level nonsense.

Most important to me, though, is that it's the story of the last living thing in the universe: a small boy named Inco, and slightly insane sentient sun called Helios. Together, they travel the cosmos finding weird machines left over from dead civilisations, and find clues to what happened to everyone, which ultimately reveals the nature of both Inco and Helios themselves.

It's... very, very 'Indie'.

At some point I'll be asking for Beta Testers. It's going to be a bitch to test, so... that'll be interesting.

If you've read this far, I thank you so much.

2. williamsyee

williamsyee Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    SQA
    Malaysia
    How do we apply for beta testing?

3. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    #3 Dene, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
    That's really easy. You just send me a pm entitled 'Incoboto Beta' and I'll add your name to my 'List of Doom!'

It won't be for a little while yet, so folks have a bit of time to decide if they want to do it or not. I seem to remember that the guys on here were awesome last time, and made a painful process as near to fun as something like that can get.

The main reason I started the thread was so that people could visit the blog, learn about the game, give any feedback at this relatively early stage and decide if they felt Beta-testing an adventure game (the nastiest thing in the world to test) was for them.

Hope you are suitably 'teased'. :D

4. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    And thanks for the move. That's what happens when you do things in a hurry! :eek:

5. williamsyee

Jun 24, 2011
    SQA
    Malaysia
    hmm, your Inco is so small, at my first glance I was thought "Sun" is you main hero / character until I enlarge the second picture only I realized.. :)
    Anyways PM sent! Will keep an eye on this thread!

6. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    Yeah, in the first picture he's about normal size.
    In the second, you're directing Helios' beam of light, which zooms the screen out quite a lot so you can look around the environment. Don't worry - I've not had anybody lose the little guy during play.

7. williamsyee

Jun 24, 2011
    SQA
    Malaysia
    Will the gameplay similar to Kosmo Spin? The moment I saw planet on the center it remind me kosmo spin :rolleyes:

8. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    #8 Dene, Jul 15, 2011
    Nonono - nothing like it.

The gameplay is a proper, fully-fledged 'go where the hell you want' running, jumping, physics-puzzle adventure game along the lines of Metroid (if you added physics puzzles and made the planets round, and... lots of other stuff).

The round planets are just there so I can do really cool stuff with orbits and rotation; the planets themselves form part of the puzzles.

This is not a casual game. My mum won't be playing it. Indeed - the company motto should change to:

"Fluttermind: games for everyone... except my mum and people who think Angry Birds is hardcore gaming experience."

Once I capture it in action I'll get a little teaser-movie up here which will make everything much clearer.

9. williamsyee

Jun 24, 2011
    SQA
    Malaysia
    Alright, it seems great for me! Looking forward for upcoming teaser movie. :)

10. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Looks weird and my taste! Looking forward to test this tough cookie!

11. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    Oh dear:(
    You said the magic word....Metroid.

Please, please, please make this anywhere near as good as super metroid and you will be my hero for life!:)

Good luck, I will be watching this very closely!

12. Xyo

Xyo Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2011
    The game really looks interesting.. Once you start taking in testers, I'd be honored to help.

13. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    When can we see video?
    What are the controls like?
    Is this coming to the iPhone?

14. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    #14 Dene, Jul 15, 2011
    Mix Metroid and - perhaps - Portal and you've an idea of the kind of gameplay feel. It's not a shooter, it's not really a platformer, it's really quite unique. It's a lot slower-paced than Metroid - you're going to have to think quite a bit.

Hardware: This started off as an iPhone project, so I'm hoping to go back to that format when it's all done on iPad, Sworcery-style. It has, however, grown enormously, so it might not be feasible.
    Video: On its way. Finishing the game takes priority at the mo' obviously.
    Controls: really simple.

- Move: use pads at the bottom of the screen
    - Tap anywhere on the screen to jump, or use the little circle inside the pads if playing one-finger-style.
    - Tap objects on the screen to interact with them, pick them up / pull them etc.
    - Drag objects to throw them (critical for a lot of puzzles).

There's one special control for 'scanning' and 'firing' that I'm not revealing yet - it's really special and quite surprising that nobody's done it before (as far as I know).

Enough yabber. I'll come back if folks have questions, or when I have something nice to back up the hype.

15. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Ok the word sworcery starts to worry. I gave up on that game when it started to make me wait in the real world to cheaply increase game time. Please do not use such a thing!!

16. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    #16 Dene, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
    Worry not. I only meant that I'm releasing on iPad first, then looking at the conversion back to iPod/iPhone. This game will not feature 'alter your clock-o-vision'. Nor is it going to be 'hipster-styled'. Nor use pixel art. Nor feature beautifully animated deer-buttocks. I know some people out there demand a healthy dose of deer-buttocks, but I'm not going to give in. No siree.

Helios wouldn't stand for it.

17. AppsAsia

AppsAsia Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    I would LOVE an iPad version of Fable :)

18. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Ok, now you gained my full attention!

19. strayrobot1

strayrobot1 Active Member

Looks nice and sounds interesting. Will keep an eye out for this.

20. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Looks fab, far from drab - when it's ready I'll give it a stab, if there's bugs I'll give you the gab - :)