HD Games backwards compatible with 3GS?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by MrStayPuft, Dec 9, 2010.

1. MrStayPuft

MrStayPuft Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Drywall & Drywall Taping
    Toronto
    Hey guys,

I have had my 3GS for a while, but I'm looking at buying myself an Ipad for Christmas. There's a couple games I want to buy right now in the App store, but I'm wondering can I buy the HD versions and play them on my 3GS till I get my Ipad? it would suck to have to buy both versions.

for example: Can China Town Wars HD be played on a 3GS?

2. No HD (iPad-only) games can be played with the iPhone.

Edit: You can play iPhone games on the iPad though, but with doubled pixels.

3. MrStayPuft

Jun 12, 2010
    Drywall & Drywall Taping
    Toronto
    Thanks for the info! I will just have to wait till I pickup the ipad then

4. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    I was playing around with an ipad at best buy and one of the ea basketball games in 2x looked horrible.

Although not to make things confusing if the game is HD AND universal like rage then you could play on an ipod/ipad. Im looking into getting an ipad myself and have been looking at universal apps for this very reason

5. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Yeah take Infinity Blade for example, if you buy that it will run on your 3GS and it will optimize for your iPad as well.

It seems to be quite a bone of contention when a developer announces an iPad version of an existing iPhone App, whether it will be a paid standalone HD App or a Universal update to the existing iPhone App.

It seems sites like TA are keen to expose these kinds of Universal Apps more often than not, and it'll always be in the App description. As a general rule of thumb though if it's 'HD' it's iPad only.

6. MrStayPuft

Jun 12, 2010
    Drywall & Drywall Taping
    Toronto
    Great info guys. I'm looking forward to some HD gaming on the iPad. Till then, Infinity Blade will keep me busy on the good old 3GS for a while :)