Is it just me, or is this a blatant rip-off?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by BrettArchibald, Nov 13, 2009.

1. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    Parachute Panic, meet Aerial Wonderland...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. loves2spoon

loves2spoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sales
    California
    lol wow seriously?

3. 'Jeep

'Jeep Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    U.K.
    I'm sure there'll be plent y of people to say it's a genre, and the one on the right has got balloons and a growth chart on the left. Actually it looks like the graphics of Parachute panic and the gameplay of one of those Up style games.

4. Comassion

Comassion Well-Known Member

May 23, 2009
    When your graphics are stick figures, one won't look that much different from the other. It doesn't look like one game has copied images from the other, and the gameplay looks different, so you really don't have a case here due to the art styles being the same.

5. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    I don't know if he has a 'case' but the second game definitely copied a lot of details pretty literally. Wow! Its pretty bad IMHO.

6. nightbeaver

nightbeaver Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    le sigh (face ficus) actually aerial wonderland looks pretty cool because of their inventive use of color. it doesnt look like the developers of wonderland are intentionally trying to rip off parachute panic it just looks like they cant draw.

7. Fe1

Fe1 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    To me, it's the same. Positioning of "Score/Best", the choppers, the overall feel. Everything.

8. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    #8 BrettArchibald, Nov 13, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
    First off, just to clarify, I was talking about a visual-copying, rather than a gameplay-copying.
    Secondly, I have my suspicions that it's more than just "copying" anyway...

Having drawn all the PP assets by hand myself, I am intimately familiar with every pixel of them, and I actually think some of the simpler assets have been taken from the game, distorted, and re-used.

Look at the button outlines on the Main Menu screen... It's a bit of a weird coincidence that the overlapping corners match in the same way, where the upright lines DO cross the horizontal lines at the bottom-corners, but they do NOT cross at the top-corners...

And I don't think Parachute Panic is the only game where assets have been nicked... Those non-anti-aliased / "pixelised" coins are drawn in a very very different style to the rest of the game.
    Same goes for the "glossy" balloons. It looks like a poor mish-mash of assorted elements from elsewhere, plus a few of their own drawn graphics thrown in to pad it out...

9. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    at first glance it looks close, but the gameplay is different, one has you landing, the other going up, and there are definitely differences in how the fonts are items are drawn including the copters, and the 'best' is in different places, one has score, the other coins

10. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Maybe. The games industry is pretty "blatant ripoff" friendly, though. One could make the argument that blatant ripoffs are pretty much how most new games are made. They can be tolerated if they bring something new to the original idea; I've seen way more shameless ripoffs on the App Store.

11. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    That'd extend past just ripping off the original idea. That would be plaigarism.

12. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    #12 BrettArchibald, Nov 13, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
    Absolutely. That's why I was initially so surprised to see this...

I'm well aware that the whole "hand-drawn on graph-paper" look is nothing new (PP is far from the first game to do this — it's just the best! :D ), and I'm certainly not gonna call out anyone who does the same general style after PP's release... but I thought this particular game was a step too far, and a proper rip-off...

13. whooley

whooley Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2008
    :p That's ridiculously blatant.

Much of my sympathy for developers fighting piracy dries up when I see devs like this getting their game design done for free, and adding so little to the game concept.

14. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    It's not just you. It's a blatant rip-off.

15. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

The people who imitate and staying on the border of legality are pathetic. They don't have any brains for creativity yet tries to make cash in a market dominated by creativity.
    I hope they go bankrupt soon.

16. Veratek

Veratek Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    VERATEk®
    washington
    very well said :eek:

17. DannyV

DannyV Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Graphic Designer
    Wow, blatant ripoff indeed. But, nothing's ever as good as the original anyways. Some could argue that this is a genre but not when it's got the same design and basic premise.

18. araczynski

araczynski Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    'visual ripoff' doesn't mean much in itself. isn't every stick figure game on the iphone guilty of that? isn't every line drawing game guilty of that? ....

someone comes up with something unique, people like it, people buy, devs come along to leech off the trend, rinse and repeat, lot of famous devs do that.

19. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    yes

=blatant ripoff