Rewarding Initial Customers (or, 'Special Edition apps')

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by EssentialParadox, Dec 15, 2009.

1. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    #1 EssentialParadox, Dec 15, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
    I've been toying with the idea of selling a premium version of a game in the App Store; offer some bonus content (maybe behind the scenes content, or in-game extras…) to fans who would be happy to pay a couple of dollars extra.

This could be done via an in-app purchase, but I'm wondering if it would also be possible to sell a premium edition of the app itself.

Now no developer wants to dilute potential chart positions by selling two versions of the same game, but I've come up with an idea that might be possible, and come with other benefits too…

The idea is you launch the game as the 'Limited Edition' version, selling it at a premium price - let's say $6.99 - and tell customers that this special version only lasts a week, and after that the price is reduced to $4.99 and the special content removed from the app.

Pros
    - All sales stay related to the same app.
    - Those gamers who wait for price cuts will know when the price cut is going to happen.
    - Developer can earn a little extra from dedicated fans and those App Store customers who are happy to pay upwards of $9.99 for an app.
    - There will be customers lining up to purchase it on the publicized price-reduction day, hopefully giving a bump into the charts.

Cons
    - Is it possible to keep the app update from removing the premium content for the Limited edition owners?
    - Is there any elegant way to tell owners not to upgrade or they will lose the special edition content? Or should the special content just expire after a week and be labeled as such?
    - Is it damaging to the initial launch (and potential chart jump) to have the launch staggered as such, or would the extra profits from the premium edition outweigh this?

Addendum: Posted poll to gauge customer interest or disinterest in the idea.

2. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Dont think that would be possible without having separate apps for your game.

And you cant ask the premium buyers to not update the app. What if you find out a serious flaw with the app after it`s release in iTunes? In that case the early adopters will have to update and will lose the premium content.

DLC seems to be the best option here. Not sure why do you feel the need for a different solution.

3. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    #3 Flickitty, Dec 15, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
    Yes, it is possible to keep the update from removing the Premium content. Flickitty actually does this with the Elite Hats, and it isn't difficult to do.

When the game is downloaded and played for the first time, a new save file is created. That save file is stamped with the version number, and the save file retains that version number regardless of the updates. This gives me info on when the game was first purchased/played, and then I can determine which content to include.

However, I should mention that the content still exists in all versions, even if the player cannot access it. So you can't remove the content from the update- that will remove the content from the Premium versions too.

4. Flickitty

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    I've decided to add to this.

It is possible to make a copy of the Premium Content, and save it where the save files normally go (Documents). Those files aren't deleted or wiped between updates.

5. another alternative is to have the game try to load the alternative content from the web on start up

then you can remove the additional content from the web after the 2 week period is up, so new purchasers can't download it.

This would limit the additional content to people who have online connections, which would potentially cut out some iPod Touch users.

Let us know how it works out if you do try something like this.

6. EssentialParadox

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    Ah very clever! Thank you.

Would it really be possible to store the special content in the 'Documents' folder? So it could theoretically be removed following the update without affecting the 'Limited edition' owners, while also allowing to update the game for any bug fixes.

7. jclardy

jclardy Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    The only problem with these methods is if the user deletes the 'Premium' app then re-downloads it they will be stuck with the normal version. Unless you did some online tracking, say having devices who unlocked the Premium version register their UID with a server. That would require users to have an internet connection and you to run a server though.

8. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

so you wanna do wat gravity sling did?

9. EssentialParadox

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    Addendum: Posted poll to gauge customer interest or disinterest in the idea.

10. lukeca

lukeca Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    I have been thinking about doing something similar to this in an upcoming app and I think the easiest thing to do about that is to somehow make it clear that they should back up their phone with iTunes, because that backup also includes all apps's documents directories, which would then backup the save file that determines wether the premium features are included or not.

Then if they did have to redownload the latest version at least they could restore the backup and get the premium content back.

11. ElectricGrandpa

ElectricGrandpa Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Yeah jclardy hit it on the head. This completely defeats the purpose of all Apple's nice backup+redownload mechanisms. Quite frankly, as a purchaser of your game, this would just piss me off.

I think one way to handle it is two different app versions, ie. "SuperGame" and "SuperGame Deluxe". Yes, they won't get charted as the same app, but that's just how it goes.

Another way would be to make just the "bonus" content in it's own seperate app, so everyone buys SuperGame for $2.99, and then you tell people to buy the "SuperGame - Bonus Features" app for another $0.99, or something like that.

12. EssentialParadox

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    Yeah, I've thought about that too… Though I do think people would be far more likely to buy it when bundled in with a copy of the game.

I admit the restoring of the game problem is an issue. I believe that would end up being just a small number of customers who would lose all data and would be unable to restore it. If anyone did encounter that problem, maybe they would be told to contact support and maybe they could simply be given a coupon/promo code to redownload the special edition version.

13. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Co-owner and CTO at Color Monkey
    Sweden
    Why don't you just host the special stuff on your server, and let devices register themselves on that server (in the background, of course) with their UDID. Then you simply stop the registration on the server yourself when the campaign is over.

Then they can download the extra content only if they are registered, and not if they aren't registered.

Problem solved.

14. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

And while you're at it, make sure you do a piracy check and send that along with the UDID info... That way only the paying customers will get the chance to be "rewarded" with the special edition of your game during the first week. A bonus for you is that should prevent a server meltdown from all the pirate players trying to download your special edition content :D

15. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Co-owner and CTO at Color Monkey
    Sweden
    On the subject of servers, I cannot recommend Google App Engine enough. We use it for Touchgrind and also host everything for Labyrinth 2 (the editor runs there, all the user created levels are hosted there etc). It's free, and there is no way their servers will crash :p

16. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

So nobody is going to get the Criterion Collection version of How Am I Feeling? ... how disappointing

17. EssentialParadox

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    Seems good, but what about iPod touch users without wifi access? :)

18. Can you just create the premium as a free DLC? I have no DLC experience and didn't bother to look and see if free DLC is possible, although I would hope it is.

That way the early users are entitled to redownload it later (with or without WiFi), and you can remove it from "sale" at any time.

Not sure if there are any gotchas, but it just popped into my head so I thought I would share. :)

19. Flickitty

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    I don't have any DLC experience either, but it sounds logical to me. Is there a way to give away DLC, like redeem codes?

20. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    It's not really a solution... but anyone who bought an iPod Touch and doesn't have wifi access isn't terribly smart in the first place. It's gotta be the minority.