Haunted Mansion--NON-SPOILER game feedback needed!!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by gekkota, Dec 25, 2009.

1. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    I'd like people's impressions of Haunted Mansion, since the screenshots look great. I know there is another thread about the game...but I stopped reading it after the first page because it turned into a big spoiler thread. :mad:

Is it point and click? Challenging? How long is it? Is it similar to Mystique in gameplay? Please give some non-spoiler info and opinions. Thanks. :)

2. Bdragonst

Bdragonst Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Student
    Japan -> S.Korea -> USA
    More like a point and tap game... You find and use clues to escape multiple rooms... If you like mystique / myst type of games, you will love this game..

The game length is pretty short, took me 4 hr and 3min, i spent last 2 hours in a last room... Pretty decent length for 2 bucks thou..

The ending was the only thing i hate about this game...

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I don't really know Mystique, so I can't compare them. But, having reached what is apparently the last room, I'm really happy with Haunted Mansion. The graphics and interface are really good, the puzzles are fairly difficult but not illogical, and there's a really nice feeling of satisfaction when you make your way out of a room. If you avoid the spoilers you'll get at least 3-4 hours of gameplay, which in my view is perfect for $2.00. Production-values wise, the game feels like something you would expect to find on a PC.

4. Cali1nonlylv

Cali1nonlylv New Member

Dec 31, 2009
    1st of all I would like to thank
    everyone for helping me.. I finally
    passed the big room!!! For the
    last person that asked how to
    get the number from under the
    coffee table, u just put # 0 on it
    and the door will open, the code
    for the one surge on the wall
    I think that what is called Is
    2,0,5,1 but on the right side put
    8,6,5,4 and suprise ending!!! Gosh
    I hope there's part 2 and doesn't take
    as long to get from developers
    like the game 1112 I'm still waiting for
    part 2 and I was charged 7.99 before
    it went to 4.99 ughhhhhhhh anywas
    thanks guys.. Game was cool, challenging
    and a stupid ending....

5. gekkota

Jul 17, 2008
    So much for my attempt at a "non-spoiler" thread...
    :(

(There is a different thread in the "Games" forum that has a lot of spoiler-ish posts and discussion, in case you are interested. Just search for the game title and you will find it.)

6. Sim1

Sim1 Member

Dec 23, 2009
    The game is really good, but it needs some improvements in some departments: e.g. some times you need to tap 5-6 times in one spot before the system recognizes the touch. It's a bit of a bummer as some puzzle are not easy to solve and in more than one occasion I found myself tapping at random on the screen hoping that something happened (and eventually it did).

7. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    I know nothing about Mystique so I can't compare but this is what I can tell you:
    In the Haunted Mansion you find yourself in a room and you have to figure out how to get out. (Unless you finish the game, you don't know the lenght of the game because it doesn't tell you anywhere. All I can say is that the game lenght will vary depending on how quickly you get out of each room. As for how many rooms there are...I stopped reading the spoiler page too, so I don't know.) Your character basically stands in one area of the room but can look at any aspect of the room. (It is actually predetermined were you can look. The developer has divided the room into a certain number of sections. You can look around the room but you only get to examine/interact with the areas the developer specifically made available) In different areas of the room you will find different objects that you will need to use to get out of the room. These objects, once found and picked up, each serve at least one function in the room (but are only useful for one room). You will find uses for these objects to interact with the enviornment and eventually (through ALOT of trial and error) you will figure out how to get out of the room (or go to the spoiler page and really appreciate the fact that people like to spoil the game).
    The game is however not without flaws. For starters, the game only saves once you get out of a room. You could spend an hour or two finding all the objects necessary for the room and then accidentally hit the home button on your ipod/iphone or have to hit the home button on your ipod/iphone and all your progress it lost. The only time that it will save is when you leave a room. Using items in the item screen is a pain. The item screen was not designed properly or is not touch sensative enough but as mentioned above, you could find yourself tapping at an item in the item screen multiple times. Even after tapping at it multiple times, sometimes you just can't use an item. I think the dev designed it that you can only use certain items while looking at certain areas of the room. Also each items is only useful once (from my limited experience with the game). I have also found that sometimes an item on the item screen will interact with the enviornment when I did not intend it to or wasn't even looking at the appropriate spot. When replaying the first room, I knew exactly where all the stuff was already, so I was going around the room picking stuff up and then one of the items interacting before I even got up to it. The game sometimes seems to be missing the touch sensativity and to misinterpret some of the things you do. And as many will tell you, sometimes you just can't figure out what to do which can be quite frustrating - however I look at this last flaw as being a part of the mystery. If it was really easy to figure out what you were doing, the game would probably be over very shortly and would not be much fun. The fun is when, after trying for so long, all of a sudden you figure something out and make further progress.
    I would rate this game 3.5 out of 5 stars. It is fun but it needs some work. I hope this helps.

8. gekkota

Jul 17, 2008
    Thanks, Songbird...that's the kind of feedback I was looking for! :)

9. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Glad to help!

10. Lily

Lily New Member

Jan 23, 2010
    I recently started playing this game and thought it was brill but I seem to be stuck in the second room, I just can't figure the code out. I've tried and tried but just can't get it and now it's driving me insane. I would love to beable to finish the game so if someone could help me out I would much appreciate it. Plsssss some one help me xx

11. Lily

Lily New Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Can someone help me pls. I started off thinking this game was brill but now I'm stuck in the second room, I just can't figure the code out, I really need to finish this game now I've started because it is addictive so if someone could help me I would be very greatful x

12. gekkota

Jul 17, 2008
    Try this thread--it is the thread for game help and spoilers. ;)

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=39112