iPhone Battle Academy by slitherine Ltd.

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Werechihuahua, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Farmer Harv

Farmer Harv Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Just finished up the Market Garden campaign, and had a great time with it. Having to keep your little digital troops alive for the next battle really changed the way I played, as compared to my previous "win at all costs" method from the first three campaigns.

Still enjoying the game immensely, and only have a few quibbles after a couple dozen hours...

The occasional LOS/LOF oddity has bit me a few times now. Might have worked in my favour too, but I never notice/get to see those. :)

I'm still getting the map jump when I tap. Maybe I need to get some video of what it's doing.

I still haven't quite figured out what/how the "Scout" command does. It often doesn't reveal enemies in fortifications or buildings, and quite often one of the scouts will end up dead. Not a lot of payback for the potential risk and loss of all the unit's AP.

Only two more campaigns to go, and then I'll start asking about Panzer Corps on the iPad. :D

2. DotComCTO

DotComCTO Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    Now that's music to my ears! This is fantastic news! Slitherine has a very nice catalog of war-games, and I can't wait to see what comes next.

:D

--DotComCTO

3. Shankopotamus

Shankopotamus Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    I'm thinking of getting this game, but dont know about the iaps. How much game is there without them?

4. farmboy74

farmboy74 Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Uk
    There are 3 campaigns (30 missions) in the intial purchase, well worth the money in my opinion

5. Werechihuahua

Werechihuahua Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Eternal labors
    Pensacola, FL
    In addition to the 30 missions included in teh base game, you get several skirmish scenarios, multi platform PBEM, and free access to all the use generated scenarios. Some of them are quite good.

6. Shankopotamus

Shankopotamus Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Alright thanks for the responses guys. I'll probably be picking this one up.

7. astonkiller

astonkiller Active Member

Sep 29, 2010
    baker
    west sussex england
    Anybody thinking about getting this game stop!!! Just stop thinking and buy it it's awesome. online is amazing and fun best I have on iPad 2:)

8. Farmer Harv

Oct 20, 2009
    And on a slightly related note...

PANZER CORPS IS COMING TO THE iPAD!!!

Quote from Slitherine's ScottP on their forums:
    "Panzer Corps on iPad - Q3 2012"

WHOOHOO!!!

Yes, yes I am more than a little excited. :)

9. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    I'm still waiting for a lite version before I spent $50 on this. (or sale lol..)

10. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Conquest! is coming to the iOS as well. :) Awesome.

11. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

For Multiplayer is it online only or is there Bluetooth or pass n play?

Also, the extra $30 in iap are those missions as long as the original?

12. DotComCTO

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    Wow. Just...wow. I guess Battle Academy did pretty well on iOS! I, for one, will continue to support Slitherine. Looking forward to the Panzer Corps release. Super psyched!

--DotComCTO

13. DotComCTO

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    They have a demo version for Mac and PC on their site. Why don't you give that a whirl. Also, you don't have to spend $50. The game is $20 - just like it is on the Mac and PC, and that's because it's the same game with all the same features and integration. The other campaigns are optional add ons that you can get as desired.

Also, Slitherine have indicated that this game won't be going on sale anytime soon (if ever).

--DotComCTO

14. DotComCTO

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    Hey! I just looked at their forum and it seems there's quite a lot of iOS love from Slitherine on its way to us this year!

This is just great news!!

--DotComCTO

15. Slochy

Slochy Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Probably THE best gaming related news on iOS I've EVER heard. That's just amazing, I can't wait!

16. Twenty One

Twenty One Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Oil & Gas Engineer
    Oklahoma City, USA
    I'm excited because you guys are excited! Sooooo what is it that we are excited about? Oh, ya....

I know nothing about Panzer Corps because I'm not a PC gamer, however, I like Panzers and I like Corps...and I LOVE Battle Academy so this is great news indeed!

I'm really glad that Slitherine is having success and thanks to those guys for porting their awesome games over to iOS! And thanks to Pip for interacting here on the forums.

Battle Academy is the best iPad game in my opinion and the amount of content is impressive...not to mention how fantastic the PBEM works to make multiplayer really fun and convenient.

17. JagerBombS

JagerBombS Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    I'm new to this site but had to comment on this game. After reading just about everything I could find on this game, all the ridiculous price point fighting and everything, I smashed buy. I've never been a big turn based guy and I don't know what a "Grognard" is (Am I saying it right?), I just wanted something deeper and took some thought. I was a little bored with all pick up play games. I'm just gonna come out and say it......I love this game! I can't believe the amount of polish, how good it looks on the retina display, how well the controls work, and just how fun the game is. This type of game is perfect for the iPad. 20 bones seems like a lot for an iPad game, but I've bought blu-rays for more that I watched one time. I don't know what Panzer Corp is but I will buy it if I can be a Grognard. But seriously, GG!

18. Farmer Harv

Oct 20, 2009
    That's a great list...it looks like they've fully embraced iOS as a serious wargaming platform! I'll probably even buy a couple that wouldn't normally be on my shopping list if it'll help keep the titles flowing.

19. DotComCTO

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    #259 DotComCTO, Apr 25, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
    I'm definitely all over Panzer Corps. I hate to say it, but I am concerned about pricing though. PC presently sells for $30 (plus $5 for each of the extra campaigns...and there are a fair number of extra campaigns). I'm not sure the App Store market will support that price point for a game. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

We shall see! In the meantime, I now have something extra to look forward to in Q3.

--DotComCTO

20. DotComCTO

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    Is there a way to set up a PBEM game with a friend? I figured out how to create a challenge with a password, but didn't see how to invite a friend.

Any help would be appreciated.

:cool:

--DotComCTO