Complaints about 'Gears of War' coming to iOS?!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tsharpfilm, Nov 4, 2010.

1. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    #1 tsharpfilm, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
    A creative director for one of the top game development companies in the world announced that a Gears of War type game (94% on metacritic) could be coming to iOS in 2 years. With an announcement like this, you'd expect cheers, encouragement, and a renewed enthusiasm about being an iDevice owner...

Not quite...

Instead, we get this...
    Are you kidding me... :eek:

First off, instead of always wanting MORE (eg Mass Effect), maybe we could at least appreciate the fact we have some pretty big companies thinking about making high-end games for our devices? The same can't be said for Palm, Blackberry, or even Android.

And second, words like "always" and "never" should never be used when it comes to technology. Many of the things that were "impossible" 100 years ago are very possible now. Think about it. Just 10 years ago, who could have imagined we'd have a device like the iPhone 4 that could run realtime 3D graphics at 60fps on a small display with pixels so small they can't even be distinguished?

Personally, I'm VERY excited about the idea of a Gears of War type game coming to iOS.

Thank you EPIC for supporting our platform!

2. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    #2 Stirolak26, Nov 4, 2010
    I'd rather have that chaosOr shadow complex game now than gears of war in the future or at any point.

3. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    All I say is: Whatevs.

Should be common sense by now that people will continue complaining until they get everything they want, and that will never happen, so they'll keep complaining and playing announcements off as trivial.

I am not personally a Gears of War fan, but it would be interesting to see how it works on the iDevice. I'm all for it :)

4. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Judging by Black Pegasus a recent fps game I found impressive and the Epic Citadel demo I don't see why it couldn't be achieved technically with enough work and time.

I have some serious doubts over whether Microsoft would allow it though I wouldn't in their shoes so I think the chances are close to zero.

5. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Lol. I wish I could be as equanimous.

Yeah, and that's really too bad. I've done my fair share of complaining, but at a certain point you just have to know when to stop.

6. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Gears of War cannot sell for 9.99 or less. iOS owners, in general, will not pay significantly more. Gears of War would have to retail at 19.99 at least. Possibly even more like 29.99. People just aren't paying that. They'e not. Flat-out. The culture of the Appstore is what it is and cannot be changed.

What I'm saying is that Gears of War IS NOT coming to the Appstore. Never in actuality will this happen. It's a pipe dream, my friends. Pie in the sky. Mark my words.

Technically, it is possible. Economically, however, it's not. Economically, it is impossible.

7. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    Exactly...The epic guy was using a figurative example- G.O.W. is a Microsoft exclusive which is why you can't play it on your PS3 and you won't be playing it on your iPad anytime soon. I find it a little disheartening that people are so keen to put epic on such a high pedestal. We already have plenty of great Dev's producing games for us without the money or backing of Epic. Personally I find their games are a tad cheesy, tragically over hyped products which tend to promise more than they deliver which is why while this iOS game will look nice but not be a gamechanger. I'm all for them wanting to widen their demographic but until Epic announce something truly special...such as a GameDev Story sequel in the unreal engine with cross-genre cross-platform playable user generated games and level's then I'm probably not going to be getting so excited t.b.h. :)

8. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    The psp god of war is probably technically more impressive than the project sword or gears of war in two years now currently anyway.

9. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    These comments made by the developers seem to all center around whether it can be done or not. Not a single comment was made, I don't believe, about whether they had crunched the proverbial numbers to see if this thing was actually feasible monetarily. Image if God of War for the PSP was a 9.99 game. I don't think any profit would be made. I'd don't think they could even recoup the up-front developmental costs if they were to sell that game for ten bucks. I'd think they'd lose their proverbial shorts selling God of War for 9.99 after all the money, all the overhead, that was invested into the project.

Gears of War would be a similar deal. It would cost Epic so much money just to make it that they could not justify even green-lighting this project to begin with if they knew in the end that they could only get away with selling it for 9.99.

10. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    All I was saying is their statement that it could be done in two years isn't impressive when god of war looks so good on inferior hardware today.

11. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I think this guys words have been twisted anyway. He never said "yes, we're going to make it in two years time", he said that the iPhone and their engine could be capable by that time.

12. switch-it

switch-it Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    Denmark
    Here's what the guy from Unreal said:

"I think it's going to be an interesting future, especially if in two years we can really run Gears of War on an iPhone."

He did not say Gears of War was comming to the iPhone. He expressed his excitement for the possibility that the iPhone would be able to run a game as technically demanding as Gears of War in two years.

13. alchemistrpm

alchemistrpm Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    #13 alchemistrpm, Nov 4, 2010
    I'm surprised more people haven't noticed that he's talking about the potential of iOS, not a literal Gears game coming to the AppStore. The TA headline is a bit misleading. He's saying that a few years from now we could see Gears-caliber games running on our iPhones.

It seems gamers and devs alike are pretty stoked about unreal on iOS... I know I am. I kinda wish Project Sword had turned out to be an RPG, Aw well. Infinity Blade sounds cool.

14. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars
    My son has a Nintendo DS and I don't see what all the fuss is about. He wants an ipod4. What does the psp and Ds have over the iOS? Buttons? Are people freaking serious.

This reminds me of PC geeks in 2000 saying "Controllers are not as good as Mouse and Keyboard, and that consoles will never work for FPS games. I assume people always resist change at first, no matter what the technology."

IPAD- got picked on really hard during unveiling. Now out-selling laptops.

MACBOOK AIR- bashed on for no optical drive. Now netbook copy-cats are everywhere

*****It is obvious that some people will never accept the iphone as a gaming platform. My girlfriend's sister shuns the iphone and still uses a blackberry. Some people think that FORD is better than BMW.*****

To each his own. No matter how ignorant they may sound.

15. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars
    #15 weehoo, Nov 4, 2010

Gears of War was released in 2006. If you go to any gamestore, you can pick up a copy for $15 or less. Stop with this "They can't this,and they can't that." I think developers have surprised us all lately with what they can and can't do.

God of War (psp) is expensive because it is a UMD. Many costs are involved with releasing and shipping an actual, tangible object. All costs are cut with digital downloads. Sony sells both UMD and DD through PS3, which doesn't give them much room for price differentiation. DD price for GOW(psp) must be the same as UMD sale price. Apple doesn't sell physical (packaged) apps, which means no packing, shipping, distributing, cost of employees, warehouses, etc, etc. Apple can sell its apps for a cheap price. I hope you understand the sheer simplicity of this concept. If all you have to do is pay the development team, and not the 1000+ employees and facilities needed to move the actual product (don't forget cost of advertising which is also included in the price of a disc-based game) then even at $0.99, you will still profit.

What school of business did you attend and how many years of marketing experience do you have. I, for one thing, am glad they hire people with enough knowledge about the current market trends to establish "JUSTIFIABLE" pricing. I'm sure all the other huge retailers were thinking the same thing about wall-mart and its prices back then.

16. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Netbooks were about quite a bit before the mac air if anything the mac air is a netbook with a different name.

Mouse and keyboard is completely superior to controllers without a shadow of a doubt you just can't get that precision anywhere else.

Ipad needs a a laptop/pc to sync with it's not a replacement and last I read netbooks were outselling the ipad four to one.

PSP/DS both run games with far more depth and quality than app store titles and buttons are pretty useful half the games I have on my ipod are only barely playable with touch based controls.

17. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars
    You weren't getting the point. Everyone complains change. I never said that controllers are better than Mouse and Keyboard. However, more people play FPS on consoles now than PC. Even developers have acknowledged this.

Maybe your fingers and yourself are really fat. The touch controls work fine for me. BTW your last statement about in-depth games. That is really the opinion of the individual. PSP has 5 good titles IMO. DS has a bunch of 2d side-scrolling kid games. You're probably going to say that the Wii is better than the PS3.

I haven't been pissed off at a reply in a long time. Why don't you stick that little stylus up your arse and wack-off to Mario. Idiot.

18. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    PSP has had more than 5 good games just in the last few months

Metal Gear Solid Peacewalker
    Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep
    God Of War - Ghost of Sparta
    Valkryie Chronicles 2
    Phantasy Star Portable 2

As for the DS don't have one but the 3DS looks very interesting to me can't wait to see one in person and of course I like my Ipod which is why I'm here.

So even though I don't own a nintendo system I recognise it's a better games machine than my ipod that's to be expected though it was designed to be.

Interesting though you have resorted to insults of my intelligence when every statement you have made thus far has been wrong I guess it's a deflection technique.

19. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

I really think people read more into that statement than what was there. It struck me as he meant the technology to run GoW on an iDevice, not that the game itself would be on there.

Still, wishful thinking always colors what we see.

20. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Wow, is it your time of the month?