Universal Legends of Yore (by Coke and Code)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by starjimstar, May 3, 2011.

1. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Is this game using the TIGSource sprites from awhile back? I LOVED all the games that game out from there, that used this art style. Really cool to see them used in an iPhone game.

2. kevglass

kevglass Well-Known Member

May 3, 2011
    Thats right, props to Oryx from TigSource for producing such incredible art. Nice guy too! :)

Kev

3. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    A free roguelike with a charming visual style? Very nice :)

4. Amyseri

Amyseri Active Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Good to know. Thanks!

5. Gegoben

Gegoben Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    VIrginia
    Saves?

Great game, however, anyone else having save issues? I will clear floors, and it says saved, but every time I come back to the game I'm always on floor one with a new character.

6. sokaroka

sokaroka Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2009
  7. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    From Lazy Peon's post higher in the thread, it seems that they're using an open source database for the sprites.

8. kevglass

May 3, 2011
    The game only saves when a level is complete, so if you quit halfway through a level your progress is lost. However, if you revisit a level the monsters *will* regenerate.

Kev

9. aceyprime

aceyprime Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    After playing for a while on my iPad I would love to see a Universal release which would support the iPad by displaying at the native resolution - just showing more of the level. Trying to play at 2x wasn't enjoyable - since the characters are pixelated by design it looks pretty bad magnified to 2x. Playing at 1x is OK (the characters look great) but annoying since you get such a small window. In other news, continuing my save from the web version worked great - love that feature!

10. kevglass

May 3, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback, I'll have a little play and try to work out how to fit that into the current framework.

FYI: The online save works nicely, however if you get items that arn't supported on the iPhone version yet there may be issues (this is worked round in the next version). So, the sooner I can get a new version throguh apple the better ;)

Kev

11. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Uuuh, seems I got something to play with until Sword of Fargoal 2 is out. Lookd nice. Downloaaaading!

12. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    crashes

This game crashes on my 16 gig 2nd gen ipod touch. The music begins to play with a black screen and then it crashes back to my app icon page.

Thanks

13. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #33 MidianGTX, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011
    I'm also finding the arrow movement laggy. Obviously the movement is a throwback to 8-bit gaming as is the artwork, and that's fine, but why does holding an arrow make the character move so much slower than tapping somewhere on the screen?

Also the smaller text (at the top of the screen and the hit numbers when attacking) look kinda blurry on my iPod Touch 4th gen. I'm just nitpicking now but it'd be nice if they were as sharp as the rest of the graphics... possibly a retina upscaling issue?

14. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010

From page one. Help is coming.

15. kevglass

May 3, 2011
    Noted on both accounts. The first one is fixed in the next update. The second I'll definitely look into.

I managed to get hold of an iPod 2G to test on today and resolved the issues. Also in the next update.

Cheers all,

Kev

16. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    #36 Coldar, May 5, 2011
    Last edited: May 5, 2011
    Been playing this and really liking it. Can't wait for the update and in hopes it won't wipe out any progress cuz getting through all those dungeons is a time consuming accomplishment for me. Really great game even as is while I'm playing it and nice to know of the bugs after reading the thread so I'm aware. Still, I'am anticipating the update.

17. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Great game for free - so far my only complaint is that movement is a bit sluggish - I like to play my roguelikes FAST dammit! :)

18. JGeldhof

JGeldhof Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Comic Artist / Illustrator
    Kent, Ohio
    I kinda dig what yer doin' here, but it seems to be insanely easy. Is there ANY strategy required? If so, I haven't run into it yet. Also, after picking up my 50th leather helmet, I'm starting to wish for more diversity in found objects. I'm a big fan of Rogue-likes so I really do wish you success, but this seems to need some work.

19. kevglass

May 3, 2011
    Yeah, it's quite a limited set of content at the moment. I'm expanding over time. I really just wanted to get something out there to get a feel for levels of interest and stability of the basic game.

To keep you in the loop, I've just uploaded the next update (details here http://blog.legendsofyore.com/?p=65) to itunes - just have to wait out apple now.

20. JGeldhof

JGeldhof Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Comic Artist / Illustrator
    Kent, Ohio
    Well, good news is that I haven't run into any glitches or had a single crash yet. The game seems to be really stable so far. Playing on a iPad.

I think you've got a great framework here, but you need to tweak the game play quite a bit. I'm just buzz-sawing through enemies till I'm low on health, drink 5 potions, (I always seem to have at least 10 or so) repeat till I'm through the dungeon. I never feel like I'm going to die, and at this point I don't feel like I'm going to find anything interesting either.

I know this all sounds harsh, but I ass-ume you're coming here for honest feedback. I'll look forward to the updates. I'd love to see you whip this into something awesome.