Top side scrolling RPGs

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by dbagga84, Sep 7, 2013.

1. dbagga84

dbagga84 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    I'm sure there is a thread out there for this somewhere so if there is and someone has the link please post, if not then I'd like some suggestions on games similar to swordigo, you know? Actual story, no IAP (or at least optional iap) and most of all not freemium, paid games only. Any suggestions would be helpful, I know chances are anything that's posted I've already played but I'm hoping for at least 1 or 2 games I haven't tried yet. Thank in advance for your help.

-The DBagga.

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Ninja Gaiga is alright.
    Heavy Sword has potential

There is another but I can't remember the name! Ill post it the second I remember.

Can't believe there's not a sequel to Swordigo

3. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Have you played WazHack or DragonSlasher?

4. dbagga84

May 22, 2013
    Haha I've actually played ninja gaiga, it was alright, as you said. They definitely could have done a lot more for the game, I did have fun with it but at the same time I was very disappointed because, for a long time I had been looking for a legit ninja adventure game that was not an endless runner or a touch only throwing/slicing game, I wish I could find another, just a straight ninja game with story, levels, combo fighting, with or without RPG elements preferably with but, like I said if its not an endless runner or a throwing/slicing game I'd be willing to check it out. Thanks for the suggestions! It's just unfortunate that I've had so much time on my hands I've played them already, lol

5. dbagga84

May 22, 2013
    Ah wazhack I tried and didn't care for it, dragon slasher was the side scrolling black and white game that had color depending on the type of enemy or armor, right? The game had no real detail because everything was fully colored in. If that's the game then yes I've played it, I loved it too, played nonstop until beaten. Thank you very much for your suggestions and even though I've already played them I still appreciate you taking time out of your day to help me. :)

6. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
  7. dbagga84

May 22, 2013

Nice, thanx I'm actually interested, you wouldn't happen to know when later this month would you? Next week with the next batch of new games? Or the last week of the month? I'm just curious and excited already lol.

8. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Paladog is fun, but it's just an action/arcade game, there is no story.

9. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
  10. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    I've heard a lot about slayin, and it got a 5 star review from TA, but I've never actually played it.

11. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Slayin is not an RPG at all. It has even less of a story than games like Paladog, and doesn't even really have much in the way of character development. It's just an action/arcade game.

12. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Sorry, all I know is that it has a september release date on the website.

I don't know, I just saw Allister mention it in the upcoming releases thread today.

13. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Slayin's fantastic, but as pointed out above, it isnt much of an RPG, but more of an endless combat-heavy arcade game with light RPG elements.

Another game sharing Slayin's endless combat-heavy arcade mechanics with light RPG elements but plays a bit more differently, is Spellsword.

Ark of Sinners has a bit more of an RPG feel than a usual metroidvania type of game, as it gives you more freedom on how you want to develop your character, but it is a metroidvania type of game in its core.

Bravura Quest Rush is another side scrolling RPG i highly recommend, but is currently on a soft release in CA.

There's only a few side-scrolling RPGs that are worth playing on iOS, most of them already mentioned here:

Dragonslasher
    Swordigo
    Wazhack
    Dungeon Crasher

There's also a couple freemium side-scrolling RPGs i cant remember the names of, but as i remember one of them, you control a party of 3, and you can drag-drop your characters to strategic positions in realtime hack and slashing.

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Mauv was the other game I was thinking of. Top down but with a lot of side scrolling levels like Swordigo. Worth trying

15. dbagga84

May 22, 2013
    After reading all the posts I've realized I have played every damn game available, lol. That's sad. The only one I haven't tried yet is the bravura one, if its free in the CA store ill be able to try it out, I have ios accounts in CA, New Zealand, UK, and Germany, haha. I'm looking forward to rift hunter if they ever release it in US, I played the German version and it was fun except the fact I didn't understand anything. I just went to each level and fought around buying and trying skills I had no idea what they did until i used them lol. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions, it looks like I'm going to have to switch genres for a while lol I've played most metroidvania style games as well and in my opinion the whole touch fps thing just doesn't feel right, I have to have that controller with the thumb sticks and trigger buttons lol.

16. My 2 fav side scrolling arpgs:

- Demon Hunter: return of the wings. My 1# game, with loads of missions, customization... And it was free, but I'm not sure if it's still avalible on the store..
    - Illusia 1.

17. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Check out Fastar, side scrolling RPG w great flavor and simple gameplay.

18. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #18 JCho133, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    Illusia 1 was quite good

19. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    If you're into brawlers try "OMG Pirates!"