should i upgrade to iOS 7 (ipad2)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by onebigdoor, Jan 10, 2014.

1. onebigdoor

onebigdoor Active Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Hudson Valley, NY
    i'm sure there is another thread with this discussion, but i can't find it.

on ipad 2. really want to play colossatron and hoplite, and i'm worried FTL will be OS 7 only, too. but it really seems to make the ipad 2 strictly worse. thoughts?

2. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    I put iOS 7 on my ipad mini and it seems fine. In the short term I would do it for sure but long term you'd probably want to look into upgrading your device.

3. IceAce

IceAce Member

Dec 30, 2013
    I updated ipad 2 with ios7 and I got no issues with performances. Really, believe me, ipad 3 with ios7 is crap due to retina display, ipad2 runs very smooth instead.
    If you'll experience slowdowns, you probably havent initialized and restored from backup. I advice to do this every time you do a major upgrade, start always clean.

If your concerns are about esthetic and design (so white!), I cant be wrong with you, even if I really love some new features like control center and notifications.
    However ios 7.1 (will be released next month) should fix this white chamber feeling, making all gui darker and introducing grassetto as default.

Should you update with ipad2? My advice is.... Yes. Dont hesitate

4. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Just make sure that those older apps you use actually work on iOS 7 before installing it. I had to switch browsers as Atomic Browser became a crash fest under iOS 7.

Other apps also experience crashing but will usually be resolved by patching.

5. onebigdoor

onebigdoor Active Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Hudson Valley, NY
    thanks for the replies, guys.

my main concerns are general slow down, and battery life. i've heard battery life is cut by about 2hrs. i don't really care if cold boot time is a coulple seconds longer, but if everything takes a bit longer, it could really be a drag.

and naturally, i'd love to upgrade my device, but these puppies are 'spensive!

6. onebigdoor

onebigdoor Active Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Hudson Valley, NY
    if i go for it and initialize my device, what is the procedure?

i assume i plug the ipad into my mac so it does a complete backup, then i initialize and drag back the apps i want on there?

scares me to potentially lose info in any apps. and also seems awfully tedious to re-install the many many apps.

if anyone who has done it can hold my hand, i'd really appreciate it.

7. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    What I did with my mini (which works fine) is plug into laptop, back up, then uodate, I didn't have to reinstall any apps, they were all still there. Make sure your iPad has a full charge before you start as it can take a while.

I was shitting myself when I went to ios7 and at first I hated it, but now when I see ios6 on my kids iPad it looks so old.

8. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Personally I would say NO.

Yes I'm biased and I upgraded my ipad 2 to iOS 7 to find out that I hated it, of course you cannot undo the update so I'm stuck with iOS 7 even though I dislike it and it's 'fisher price' icons.

Stay as you are, don't update.

9. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    iOS 7 did not perceivably affect the battery life on my iPad 2.

10. IceAce

IceAce Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Performances are good as before, maybe boot time and shutdown increased but when you ll use it you wont notice differences. Believe me.
    Battery last shorter but I m speaking of minutes, not hours. Maybe you wont notice that, however.
    App Support is reaLly good, I run also apps like imame, gridlee, who havent received ios7 update, so dont worry. Now quite all apps are updated and bugs fixed so is difficult to experience bugs due to ios7.

So, if these are your concerns, dont worry, update!
    Graphic taste of ios7 is another story...

I advice you to follow this procedure:
    from ios6 to ios7
    1) itunes backup
    Link your ipad with IOS6 to your mac/pc and open itunes
    Right click on your ipad and click on backup (I also like to transfer purchased items on my pc)
    Unlink ipad from your pc/mac

2) icloud backup (optional)
    Check icloud setting on your ipad and do a backup with icloud (only to stay safe in case your pc will blow in the net few minutes)

3) Ok, now update.

ios7 -> initialize your device
    4) At this point, when your ipad got IOS7, repeat point 1 (and 2, if you want to be really safe).

5) initialize your device from settings on your ipad (should be in general menu, last option) and when asked, restore from itunes.
    If you should face some problem you can restore also from the icloud one.

Enjoy your device.

11. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    To put your mind at ease, google or check App Store reviews to ensure that your critical apps will actually work under iOS 7. Work as in not crashing constantly, not in as just being able to launch...

12. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    I updated my iPad mini when castle of illusion was released, because it required it, all my other devices are still on iOS 6.

At first I absolutely loathed iOS 7 and thought I'd actually stop using my iPad mini because I couldn't stand it, but after a few days it became more and more easy to use.
    Swiping up to get to the control centre is really good, I often need to change the brightness, take a photo, turn wifi on or off, and even play music.
    I also really love the search bar being available by swiping down.
    Makes searching quicker..
    But there's stuff I don't like either, like multitasking takes a lot longer to close all apps, and sometimes my device gets confused which tab I opened and flickers between two, which drives me nuts.
    I also hate how we have to restart our devices after we install a new app, otherwise the app won't show up.
    Also hate how some icons are blackened out, or are white with geometrical lines over it when the app icon wasn't made for iOS 7.
    And hate how many older, un-updated games won't run on iOS 7.
    However, as of this month iOS 7 is a requirement of new games, so you are going to have to upgrade sooner or later if you want to be able to play those new games so you might as well just take the plunge and get it over with.
    I'm glad I did back then, because there have been a ton of games that require iOS 7 that I have downloaded, that I would have been annoyed about if I hadn't of updated.

So, yeah iOS 7 takes a few days to get used to, but when you do, it's fine, and you'll need it in the long run to download new games. So just do it, and keep a secondary device on iOS 6 if you want.

13. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    I absolutely love how multitasking is handled on iOS 7. just swipe up to terminate. Much faster than trying to hit the tiny X in iOS 6. I kill all my apps significantly faster this way.